Gay Marriage

May 21st, 2014 at 7:53:45 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Beethoven
That is so freakin disgusting. A gay judge ruled in favor of gay marriage?

Suppose the judge had been straight. But he had a gay son. Or a lesbian daughter. Should he have recused himself?

Suppose the judge had been straight. But he had a gay brother. Or a lesbian sister. Should he have recused himself?

Suppose the judge had been straight. But his neighbor was gay. Or his best friend was gay. Or his wife's best friend was gay. Should he have recused himself?
May 21st, 2014 at 8:12:27 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: reno
Suppose the judge had been straight. But he had a gay son. Or a lesbian daughter. Should he have recused himself?

Suppose the judge had been straight. But he had a gay brother. Or a lesbian daughter. Should he have recused himself?

Suppose the judge had been straight. But his neighbor was gay. Or his best friend was gay. Or his wife's best friend was gay. Should he have recused himself?

No, because straight people aren't biased. If you look at the polls, straight people are pretty much evenly divided on the issue. OTOH, gays are incredibly biased when it comes to gay marriage. Virtually all of them support it. That's why gay judges should recuse themselves.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
May 21st, 2014 at 8:16:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've always thought Gays only want marriage because
straights are against it. I mean, who in their right
mind wants marriage. Gay men, that is, I don't
consider lesbians Gay. They're with each other
because men don't want them, who cares if they
get married.

Once Gay men can freely wed, they'll find some
other cause to get all in our faces about.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 21st, 2014 at 8:18:39 PM permalink
reno
If your side has such overwhelming public support, then you should have no problem going directly to the voters with ballot initiatives.

My point is that Utah should be a landslide win for traditional marriage. Mormons make up 60% of the population of Utah.

But the Salt Lake Tribune poll says Utah is a toss-up on gay marriage? Evenly split? 48% to 48%? No way. That can't be true. Even I'm having a hard time believing it.
May 21st, 2014 at 8:20:31 PM permalink
reno
That's why gay judges should recuse themselves.

So you're ok with a judge whose son is gay deciding whether [fill in the blank U.S. state] shall have gay marriage?
May 21st, 2014 at 8:28:00 PM permalink
Beethoven
So you're ok with a judge whose son is gay deciding whether [fill in the blank U.S. state] shall have gay marriage?
Let me repeat: "No, because straight people aren't biased. If you look at the polls, straight people are pretty much evenly divided on the issue. OTOH, gays are incredibly biased when it comes to gay marriage. Virtually all of them support it. That's why gay judges should recuse themselves."

My point is that Utah should be a landslide win for traditional marriage. Mormons make up 60% of the population of Utah.
I just don't understand why gay marriage supporters are so deathly scared of ballot initiatives. I'm consistent. I can live with whatever the people decide, whether it's abortion, the death penalty, euthanasia, gay marriage, marijuana, etc.
May 21st, 2014 at 8:31:14 PM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: Evenbob
The whole transgender thing is next. You can see it starting already with Chuck Hagel wanting to "review" the military's transgender ban. *facepalm*
May 21st, 2014 at 9:02:28 PM permalink
reno
Let me repeat: "No, because straight people aren't biased. If you look at the polls, straight people are pretty much evenly divided on the issue."

Well then I'm curious to hear your thoughts about conservative Ohio Republican Senator Rob Portman. Since the 1990s, Portman had consistently, reliably voted against special rights for homosexuals.

Then in 2011 his son told him he was gay. Portman's reaction? He flip-flopped on gay marriage!

Portman wrote, "At the time, my position on marriage for same-sex couples was rooted in my faith tradition that marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman. Knowing that my son is gay prompted me to consider the issue from another perspective: that of a dad who wants all three of his kids to lead happy, meaningful lives with the people they love, a blessing Jane and I have shared for 26 years."

Probably just a coincidence, eh Beethoven?
May 22nd, 2014 at 2:55:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

My prediction is it will be about lowering the age of consent. I predict in 10-15 years the argument will go, "if a man is old enough to drive he is old enough for an adult relationship" or something along those lines to get the age lowered from 18 to somewhere from 14-16 years old.
The President is a fink.
May 22nd, 2014 at 3:27:12 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Are you arguing that the politicians in ... Rhode Island ... would jeopardize their careers by voting against the will of the people?

Absolutely, resoundingly, yes. They do whatever the f*** they want. See projo.com - these tone deaf @$$holes just contracted to rehire the same financial adviser that the State is suing for incompetence, negligence and bad advice in the 38 Studios debacle. Business as usual.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!