In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 19th, 2018 at 6:15:01 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Monsters exist
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 19th, 2018 at 6:29:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Wind in Netherlands today.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2018 at 6:45:40 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
Trump by and large doesn't have supporters, he has cult followers.

I think you would be surprised. If you get out and mingle with the common folk in the U.S. he does have a large support base. I assume you are basing your opinion on media coverage and forum posters.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 19th, 2018 at 7:21:52 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Yet Trump gets called the "racist" for mentioning, not even in public, what so many people actually think.

There are tons of racists in this country. Being that racist P.O.S. that he is, Donald speaks almost exclusively for them.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 19th, 2018 at 11:59:35 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: beachbumbabs
Trump does that because he's been playing a double-edged game for decades with the press. He has craved coverage since the 1980s, no matter whether it was critical or fawning, cultivating media he can manipulate, trashing media that refuses to report his "truth" as fact, going so far as to present himself as "John Miller", a non-existent PR rep for him.

The media would be willing to report facts, and identify as opinion any disagreements with ideas or policy proposals. But Trump doesn't use facts - he goes even further and denies objective truth as "fake news" if it doesn't suit his narrative or spin. This is a large part of many people's anger and disagreement with him.

Face, I was very moved by what Sen. Flake said, and a bit dismayed it got almost no discussion here. But if it reached you and only you like it reached me, it did its job.

There is hope. This, too, can pass. If there is any good to Trump, it is that he forces so many of us who thought we shared a national set of values to realize we do, indeed, share them, regardless of our position on the political spectrum. Perhaps we needed him to come to prominence for a while to appreciate what really matters. Hopefully it won't be too late by the time enough people realize they must fight this to fix it.

Very few people have integrity, especially online. Integrity means standing up for what you believe in, admitting error when you are wrong, and trying to be factual and honest. I see so many people on the forums just posting crap without substance or just flat out lying and I am talking about people on BOTH SIDES.

Trump clearly lacks integrity. When you read the "Fake News Awards", 10 of the 11 "awards" were retracted immediately by the news organizations (the last one - collusion, is still be investigated); many were tweets. He constantly lies about immigration (most recently, the lottery and chain migration) in order to get the right to rally around him. Chain migration doesn't exist; the lottery program statements were categorically wrong on all accounts. I am waiting for Trump to correct himself on any one of the 2,000 or so untruths and lies he has told since being elected.

I support the free press, of course. Most of the WaPo and NYT stories criticizing Trump have been true, with very few retractions. Inotherwords, a statement of "Fake News" doesn't make it so. Therefore, there is no reason not to believe MSM, and given Trump's constant criticism which is a fundamental attack on the First Amendment, I expect the criticism to continue, rightly so. FoxNews and Breitbart of course are free to publish as well, and most of the reporting on FoxNews is factually correct as well.
January 19th, 2018 at 12:01:30 PM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: DRich
I think you would be surprised. If you get out and mingle with the common folk in the U.S. he does have a large support base. I assume you are basing your opinion on media coverage and forum posters.

His support base includes mostly Republicans (78%) who are white men.
January 19th, 2018 at 12:07:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo
His support base includes mostly Republicans (78%) who are white men.

Something is wrong with this?
The President is a fink.
January 19th, 2018 at 12:15:52 PM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: AZDuffman
Something is wrong with this?

No. I was stating a fact.
January 19th, 2018 at 12:18:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: boymimbo
I support the free press, of course. Most of the WaPo and NYT stories criticizing Trump have been true, with very few retractions. Inotherwords, a statement of "Fake News" doesn't make it so. Therefore, there is no reason not to believe MSM, and given Trump's constant criticism which is a fundamental attack on the First Amendment, I expect the criticism to continue, rightly so.
The msm is perception management, at it's finest. The cia has admitted having staff on the payroll of every major news outlet since 1950.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mockingbird

https://www.globalresearch.ca/the-cia-and-the-media-50-facts-the-world-needs-to-know/5471956

https://www.corbettreport.com/how-the-cia-plants-news-stories-in-the-media/

http://www.carlbernstein.com/magazine_cia_and_media.php

https://books.google.com/books?id=2r0Ma5sVa_kC&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=cia+has+plants+in+every+news+organization&source=bl&ots=wSq0g8IVnT&sig=sO7vrfZCBH1_2Qyu-H7QkVORzyU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU-PvC6uTYAhVGMGMKHZQKCX8Q6AEISzAG#v=onepage&q=cia%20has%20plants%20in%20every%20news%20organization&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=53I3FN4BTvoC&pg=PA250&lpg=PA250&dq=cia+has+plants+in+every+news+organization&source=bl&ots=7GRiBS_lF8&sig=aooX6uF6YW88PHTX0LVEuW_cbUM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU-PvC6uTYAhVGMGMKHZQKCX8Q6AEIWDAJ#v=onepage&q=cia%20has%20plants%20in%20every%20news%20organization&f=false

And on and on. If the intelligence agency's admit to having agents working at the news services controlling the story, how can that be free, fair or independent media?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 19th, 2018 at 12:24:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
The msm is perception management, at it's finest. The cia has admitted having staff on the payroll of every major news outlet since 1950.

And on and on. If the intelligence agency's admit to having agents working at the news services controlling the story, how can that be free, fair or independent media?

It is not just the LSM, there is also control in mainstream entertainment. All kinds of little messages and how they portray this or that kind of group. Alex Keaton was supposed to be the guy you hated, but that one backfired on those that pull the strings.

Sometimes I think what we have must have made the propaganda chiefs in the USSR jealous.
The President is a fink.