In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 31st, 2023 at 4:40:02 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: PotPie
The very next likely move of the right would be to ban the children of Chinese Americans who are dual citizens that were born in this country (U.S. nationals) from buying real estate or holding Office or other things.

And how should the State then identify a "suspicious" person.

Of course, by ethnicity, the appearance of the face. They will say that's a good indicator that suspicion is called for. And then an investigation will be called for. And then, of course, if it's confirmed that the parents are Chinese; well, they need to just rent an apartment.

That is absurd. For one I am on the left (some would call me far left, but I am pretty moderate), however I am patriotic.

The children would only be effected if they also had dual citizenship. It is not a hard concept, dual citizenship makes your loyalties challenged. And, it is never good to empower people with challenged loyalties. You either have dual (or multiple) citizenship or you do not, it is a binary choice (what your parents had is irrelevant).

Frankly you guys are obsessing on a tiny minority of who this will effect. This is mostly targeted for foreign investment companies who want to buy land in Texas. However, if it discourages dual citizenship that is a positive side effect (that frankly does not offend me, and the more I think about it, I actually support).

This is not a retroactive law, no property will be seized, it will just prevent the buying of new real property.

For example in China foreign entities are only allowed to purchase one property (for personal residence), this is a reasonable law. In North Korea, foreigners are not allowed to purchase property. Russia and Iran have similar laws to China. Should we allow foreign investment in real property from these countries when they do not allow Americans to invest in real property? The logical answer is no. Will some individuals be hurt in the crossfire? Probably, it is the nature of keeping a proactive foreign policy.

Why should we be forced to cater to foreign real estate investors from countries who would not give our investors the time of day? Does a "free market" mean free to be taken advantage of by foreign investment groups (who are often fronts for the nation itself)?

This should not be a left/right issue, this is about protecting America.
January 31st, 2023 at 5:04:17 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Gandler

Why should we be forced to cater to foreign real estate investors from countries who would not give our investors the time of day? Does a "free market" mean free to be taken advantage of by foreign investment groups (who are often fronts for the nation itself)?

Who is forcing anyone to sell to a foreign real estate investor? If I want to sell to them I should be able to, if you don't want to, no one should force you to sell to them.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 31st, 2023 at 5:36:57 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DRich
Who is forcing anyone to sell to a foreign real estate investor? If I want to sell to them I should be able to, if you don't want to, no one should force you to sell to them.

Nobody is forced to. But, the issue is we allow it and foreign investment firms take advantage of it.

When China and North Korea start allowing foreign investment firms to buy their property to anyone who will sell to the highest buyer we can talk about a true free market. But, until then we need to prioritize the needs of America.

Texas is trying to stand up to this. And, I never thought I would say this, this year, but I respect this Texas law. I personally hope more States follow in their lead (on this front). Ideally the Feds would as well (but this is unlikely).
January 31st, 2023 at 7:04:10 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
An article several months old for insight into the issue:

------------------------------------------------

Communist China in Texas: Real Estate Expansion

Beijing eyes land in our own backyards.

September 8, 2022

https://texasscorecard.com/state/communist-china-in-texas-real-estate-expansion/

February 1st, 2023 at 2:37:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: PotPie
Yes, but in the original story linked by terapined the the term "Chinese Americans" is used more than once.

This leads me to believe that this applies to those who are also U.S. citizens.

Many naturalized U.S. citizens have dual citizenship.
You are led to believe that by the partisan writer who wrote that article and used that language ... someone who doesn't care about the issue except how it can be spun to make a political opponent look bad

reminds me of the Trump administration getting all that flak about stopping flights from China when Covid was raging. That had to get spun into how it was discrimination on the basis of race ... it's pretty much conceded now that it was the right move, race being immaterial
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 1st, 2023 at 6:45:44 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Here is the source of the article.

It's not main stream media, so it could be trusted, under normal conditions.

But in this case, another issue becomes apparent, as to the credibility.

----------------------------------------------

About Benny Luo

In 2013, Luo built NextShark, an online publication targeting Asian Youth, with just $3,000 of his own money. Four years later, the site has a full-time staff of 12 and brings in nearly three million monthly unique visitors. The site covers everything from politics to hate crimes to entertainment, all with the focus of global Asian youth.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/benny-luo/?sh=7ffc97674e65

----------------------------------------------
February 1st, 2023 at 7:15:14 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DoubleGold
An article several months old for insight into the issue:

Communist China in Texas: Real Estate Expansion

Beijing eyes land in our own backyards.

September 8, 2022

https://texasscorecard.com/state/communist-china-in-texas-real-estate-expansion/

Right wing hate site
There big cause is sexulizing kids
Nobody is doing that
Its a dog whistle Its total BS
I wouldnt believe jack from this site.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 1st, 2023 at 7:20:42 AM permalink
DoubleGold
I looked at the girl that wrote it before I posted the link.
February 1st, 2023 at 7:32:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://www.yahoo.com/news/paul-pelosi-attack-rightwing-pundits-070040601.html
Conservative commentators were forced to backtrack over conspiracy theories and jokes about the hammer attack on Paul Pelosi, after the release of police video and audio last week.
One Fox News commentator had to retreat from his claim there was no “evidence of a breaking and entering” when his host pointed out that footage of the attacker breaking into Pelosi’s home was playing on screen at the time.

It was a criminal attack. What did right wing news see that I didn't
Really weird
Reporting the news based on a hate angle
bizarre
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 1st, 2023 at 7:49:11 AM permalink
DoubleGold
My opinion of Paul Pelosi, is not good.

A sequence of negative events in a short time, is the reason why.

Trading in stocks possibly related to politically classified information, the driving under the influence and risking other life, and an event that occurred in his home supposedly with a hammer.

If the events were spread out over many years, I wouldn't be so negative.

However, I think it's important to give the benefit of the doubt, even if the events happened in a short time.

Now his son is a different story or his deceased father-in-law.

Both of those men have been accused of negative stuff.

All mainstream media news can be discounted, including Fox.