Thread Rating:

January 31st, 2023 at 2:57:40 PM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
Quote: DRich
Does it apply to American citizens? I just read the first page that states:

" relating to the purchase of or acquisition of title to real property
by certain aliens or foreign entities."

The first two words in the very first paragraph of the article is "Chinese Americans."

Chinese Americans are people with Chinese lineage who are American citizens.

They may or may not have dual citizenship.

The article goes on to state that the bill is aimed at preventing people with "ties" to four countries from purchasing Texas property or real estate.
the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
January 31st, 2023 at 3:06:05 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Talk about a Republican hate bill.
TX gov Abbott is signing a bill preventing Chinese Americans from buying a house
I kid you not
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hundreds-chinese-americans-protest-dallas-150614748.html

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/html/SB00147I.htm

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT
relating to the purchase of or acquisition of title to real property
by certain aliens or foreign entities.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 5.005, Property Code, is amended to read
as follows:
Sec. 5.005. ALIENS. Except as provided by Section 5.0051,
an [An] alien has the same real and personal property rights as a
United States citizen.
SECTION 2. Subchapter A, Chapter 5, Property Code, is
amended by adding Section 5.0051 to read as follows:
Sec. 5.0051. PURCHASE OF OR ACQUISITION OF TITLE TO REAL
PROPERTY BY CERTAIN FOREIGN INDIVIDUALS OR ENTITIES PROHIBITED.
Notwithstanding any other law, the following may not purchase or
otherwise acquire title to real property in this state:
(1) a governmental entity of China, Iran, North Korea,
or Russia;
(2) a company or other entity that is:
(A) headquartered in China, Iran, North Korea, or
Russia;
(B) directly or indirectly held or controlled by
the government of China, Iran, North Korea, or Russia; or
(C) owned by or the majority of stock or other
ownership interest of which is held or controlled by individuals
who are citizens of China, Iran, North Korea, or Russia;
(3) a company or other entity that is owned by or the
majority of stock or other ownership interest of which is held or
controlled by a company or entity described by Subdivision (2); or
(4) an individual who is a citizen of China, Iran,
North Korea, or Russia.
SECTION 3. The changes in law made by this Act apply only to
the purchase of or other acquisition of title to real property on or
after the effective date of this Act. The purchase of or other
acquisition of title to real property before the effective date of
this Act is governed by the law in effect immediately before the
effective date of this Act, and that law is continued in effect for
that purpose.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2023.

This only effects individuals who are citizens of China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran.

Most of it relates to preventing overseas companies buying real estate (which is actually a big problem, especially overseas companies gobbling up residential real estate).

I don't have a huge problem with the idea that to buy land in America you should have to give up foreign citizenship. However, this is a small portion of the bill only effecting a few individuals, realistically it is foreign companies (and governments) who are most upset.

And it is important to bear in mind, "foreign companies in China" quite often mean the literal Chinese government.

It would not surprise me if quite a few of these "grassroot protests" are funded by foreign real estate investing firms.
January 31st, 2023 at 3:36:23 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
-------------------------------------------------------------

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"In 1943 the United States Supreme Court ruled that no person can be required to recite the pledge."
https://www.britannica.com/event/Pledge-of-Allegiance-to-the-Flag-of-the-United-States-of-America

------------------------------------------------------------

It's very interesting because we're a Republic and God is mentioned.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting what to have for lunch. -- Ben Franklin
January 31st, 2023 at 3:39:57 PM permalink
PotPie
Quote: Gandler

This only effects individuals who are citizens of China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran.

Yes, but in the original story linked by terapined the the term "Chinese Americans" is used more than once.

This leads me to believe that this applies to those who are also U.S. citizens.

Many naturalized U.S. citizens have dual citizenship.
the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
January 31st, 2023 at 3:44:40 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: PotPie
Yes, but in the original story linked by terapined the the term "Chinese Americans" is used more than once.

This leads me to believe that this applies to those who are also U.S. citizens.

Many naturalized U.S. citizens have dual citizenship.

Yes if you have Chinese citizenship you cannot buy real property in Texas (if this passes, which it probably will), "(4) an individual who is a citizen of China, Iran, North Korea, or Russia."

I don't have a problem with this. If you have American citizenship you should have to renounce foreign citizenship in my view anyway. I am not a big fan of dual citizenship (especially from questionable countries), so this frankly does not offend me. I honestly would not care if they extended it to every non-NATO country.
January 31st, 2023 at 3:51:51 PM permalink
PotPie
Yes if you have Chinese citizenship you cannot buy real property in Texas (if this passes, which it probably will), "(4) an individual who is a citizen of China, Iran, North Korea, or Russia."

I don't have a problem with this. If you have American citizenship you should have to renounce foreign citizenship in my view anyway. I am not a big fan of dual citizenship (especially from questionable countries), so this frankly does not offend me. I honestly would not care if they extended it to every non-NATO country.

Your opinion against dual citizenship is your opinion, not the law.

It seems to me to be unfair to deny any American citizen any right accorded any other American citizen.

If Texas, like you, feels strongly that American citizenship should require renouncing foreign citizenry then they should take that to the Supreme Court.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't believe they have either a moral or legal right to divide U.S. citizens into different groups and have laws apply differently to different groups of U.S. citizens.

Theoretically, if they can prevent Chinese Americans from buying property they could also pass laws preventing them from voting or running for Office or holding a State Government job and many other things.
January 31st, 2023 at 4:07:02 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: PotPie
Your opinion against dual citizenship is your opinion, not the law.

It seems to me to be unfair to deny any American citizen any right accorded any other American citizen.

If Texas, like you, feels strongly that American citizenship should require renouncing foreign citizenry then they should take that to the Supreme Court.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't believe they have either a moral or legal right to divide U.S. citizens into different groups and have laws apply differently to different groups of U.S. citizens.

Theoretically, if they can prevent Chinese Americans from buying property they could also pass laws preventing them from voting or running for Office or holding a State Government job and many other things.

Of course, it is my opinion. But, sure you can, citizenship and nationality are two very different things. And, citizenship is a good indicator of loyalties (this is common in security clearance processes). It is always suspicious when somebody becomes a citizen of a new country without renouncing their former country.

It's an inherent conflict of interests. There have long been calls to limit dual citizens from running for office. It's actually a pretty old issue going back to WWI.
January 31st, 2023 at 4:13:24 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: DoubleGold
-------------------------------------------------------------

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"In 1943 the United States Supreme Court ruled that no person can be required to recite the pledge."

The whole point of our freedom in the U.S. is that we don't have to recite it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 31st, 2023 at 4:24:09 PM permalink
PotPie
Of course, it is my opinion. But, sure you can, citizenship and nationality are two very different things. And, citizenship is a good indicator of loyalties (this is common in security clearance processes). It is always suspicious when somebody becomes a citizen of a new country without renouncing their former country.

It's an inherent conflict of interests. There have long been calls to limit dual citizens from running for office. It's actually a pretty old issue going back to WWI.

The very next likely move of the right would be to ban the children of Chinese Americans who are dual citizens that were born in this country (U.S. nationals) from buying real estate or holding Office or other things.

And how should the State then identify a "suspicious" person.

Of course, by ethnicity, the appearance of the face. They will say that's a good indicator that suspicion is called for. And then an investigation will be called for. And then, of course, if it's confirmed that the parents are Chinese; well, they need to just rent an apartment.
January 31st, 2023 at 4:25:33 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Does it apply to American citizens? I just read the first page that states:

" relating to the purchase of or acquisition of title to real property
by certain aliens or foreign entities."

It refers to Green card holders
These people are allowed to reside in the USA and work any job.
You are allowed a 10 year stay before having to apply again
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"