In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 18th, 2016 at 11:47:38 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Once you get to the point of agents, lawyers, CPAs, detectives, spreadsheets, etc... one wonders if the term "marriage of convenience" should be used. Rent a Trophy seems very profitable these days.
February 18th, 2016 at 11:48:42 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: terapined
The Trump hits just keep coming
All his quotes are gold
Nobody insults people on the right like Trump.
From last nite

“I think Lindsey Graham is a disgrace, and I think you have one of the worst representatives of any representative in the United States, and I don’t think he should run. I don’t think he could run for dog catcher in this state and win again. I really don’t. Other than that, I think he’s wonderful.”

Who needs John Stewart, we have the king of comedy insults running for Pres
Keep em coming Donald :-)

The right wing hits just keep coming
The Lindsey Graham response is pure gold :-)
"I think he's a kook. I think he's crazy. I think he's unfit for office,I'm a Republican. and he's not. He's not a conservative Republican, he's an opportunist. He's not fit to be president of the United States."
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 26th, 2016 at 7:10:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Cliven Bundy finally got what he wanted
Live rent free on federal land

Down here the BLM is using the Sonoran desert as a private domain for themselves. They are the only ones who can legally drive in it in many places, all others walk or horseback.

Maybe some good will come of the Malheur prostestors? http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/24/house-republicans-open-national-forests-mining-logging-oregon-militia-malheur-wildlife-refuge
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 26th, 2016 at 7:34:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Cliven Bundy finally got what he wanted
Live rent free on federal land

Maybe he listened to an oracle who can give deceptive answers

Quote:
He then consulted Delphi before attacking Persia, and according to Herodotus was advised: "If you cross the river, a great empire will be destroyed". Believing the response favorable, Croesus attacked, but it was his own empire that ultimately was destroyed by the Persians.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 26th, 2016 at 9:05:34 PM permalink
Fleastiff
After several false reports of a body being recovered, it was announced by Thailand authorities that a corpse has been positively identified as that of British yachtsman, Bruce Robertson, retired owner of a chain of coffee shops in Sussex. Therefore the migrant workers who were arrested on a raft a short distance away from the yacht and being held on various charges can now be charged with the crime of murder, which under Thai law requires a corpse rather than an assumption of death based on serious injury having been inflicted.
February 26th, 2016 at 9:13:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Speaking of the sea -- saw a story that the Navy had abandoned sextant training for high-tech devices years ago, is now reinstating it due to the possibility of tech attacks on instrumentation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 26th, 2016 at 10:27:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
May not help much.... one embarrassing incident took place when a naval officer became confused between latitude and longitude during a press conference.

Darn few devices have any security features and those that have 'a few' have too little to do much good. As with GPS signals the strongest signal is usually chosen by default so a false signal would have to be "loud" ... ie, close. A Drone pilot is often located at an air base in Nevada or in South Carolina... what can he do if a false signal is sent to the drone he is flying over some "stan" country in the middle east?

GPS to four inches of your exact location? Sure. We have that now, but its based on trust of signals and trust of all intermediate devices such as routers. Heck, some of the instruments used were made in China. Do they have back doors? Drop Dead codes? Sleeper Viruses?

Besides, you've heard of those little ladies who live in the GPS unit and direct drivers over cliffs or to non-existent bridges, what do you think will happen when these high speed autonomous littoral boats turn and attack the Aircraft Carrier instead of the terrorists in the speedboat?

Many boaters use GPS units and phones and chart printers, but the one advantage of all that gimmickry is that twice a year, the Anarchists still teach basic celestial navigation skills and basic math. Heck, go to any Caribbean yacht harbor and you can buy a privately published chart that is superior to any "official" chart. The official charts are often out of date or hopelessly inadequate anyway.

How many degrees above the horizon is three knuckles if your arm is fully extended? Shoot the sun? Over a decade ago a civilian airliner took off to fly North East but flew directly into the setting sun (West) for three hours and never noticed it due to preoccupation with a National Soccer Final Game. Passengers noticed but you ever try to tell a Macho Pilot anything?
February 27th, 2016 at 2:34:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Speaking of the sea -- saw a story that the Navy had abandoned sextant training for high-tech devices years ago, is now reinstating it due to the possibility of tech attacks on instrumentation.

A very good idea. Skills of all kinds are being lost. I see it in the younger folks all the time, no tech to lean on and they freeze up. Last month trying to teach outs in poker and two girls could not even figure to start to do 49/7. I may have ranted on this one before, but it drove me really crazy. I told the story years ago about me figuring distance and when I said it the girl just said, ''you know there is an app for that." Don't even try to ask so many people to read a map. Another thing that makes me want to scream.

So train them. One day our satellites will get attacked and anyone born after 1985 will not be able to find their way around town much less at sea.
The President is a fink.
February 27th, 2016 at 3:12:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
A very good idea. Skills of all kinds are being lost.
One day our satellites will get attacked and anyone born after 1985 will not be able to find their way around town much less at sea.

A few examples: the first blackout in NYC...blind man had to do the phone dialing for dozens of passengers stuck in a dark subway near a working phone.

Those places that teach knife sharpening are also holding map reading classes and one even recently held a Taste of Honey, featuring twelve totally different honeys all produced within a few miles of each other by a variety of bee keepers.
February 27th, 2016 at 3:53:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
A few examples: the first blackout in NYC...blind man had to do the phone dialing for dozens of passengers stuck in a dark subway near a working phone.

Which "first" one? 2002 or the 1970s? Curious because I can believe people were that dense.

Quote:
Those places that teach knife sharpening are also holding map reading classes and one even recently held a Taste of Honey, featuring twelve totally different honeys all produced within a few miles of each other by a variety of bee keepers.

Side hustle for me?

Seriously, I guess I always took map reading for granted. We went on trips to relatives about 100 miles away and the adults always taught us to read them map. I learned in Cub Scouts. As a little kid I knew this stuff. Then as an adult I heard so often people could not do it! Pre-GPS I heard it. I may not be normal, getting the google earth game to 0.3 yards of accuracy, but to tell me you cannot drive across town on a map?
The President is a fink.