In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 26th, 2022 at 10:07:35 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
I liked what I saw in Eugene
Open a city park and put up port a potties and sanitation stations

I still haven't been to Eugene and I really want to go. The pandemic year I was scheduled to go to a football game in Eugene but obviously it was cancelled. Now that I live on the East coast it is a lot more hassle to get to Eugene. I don't know if I will ever make it there. As I get older, travelling seems to be more of a hassle. When I was young I would jump on a plane and go anywhere for a weekend.

Northwest airlines for a year or two had a program where if you just showed up at the airport on a Friday you could pay $99 and get a roundtrip ticket returning Sunday. It was awesome because you had no idea where you were going until they handed you the ticket. I loved it. Three of the trips I did were Minneapolis, Seattle, and Detroit.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 26th, 2022 at 10:15:47 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Excellent!

Quote:
There's tens of billions of dollars and other junk fees across the economy that I'm directing my administration to reduce or eliminate," Biden said.

Biden added that the Federal Trade Commission had started work on a rule last week to crack down on "unfair and deceptive fees across all industries." He cited processing fees for concert tickets and resort fees at hotels as two items his administration is examining.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 26th, 2022 at 1:41:05 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Just golfed with two suburban Buffalo area policemen. They said crime being down around here (statistically) is a total joke made up by Democrat politicians. They don’t bother to arrest many criminals because with NY’s anti police pro criminal environment it’s just not worth it. How frustrating it must be to arrest someone for shoplifting multiple times in a month?
October 26th, 2022 at 1:57:58 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
Just golfed with two suburban Buffalo area policemen. They said crime being down around here (statistically) is a total joke made up by Democrat politicians. They don’t bother to arrest many criminals because with NY’s anti police pro criminal environment it’s just not worth it. How frustrating it must be to arrest someone for shoplifting multiple times in a month?
Maybe since the thieves know they are going to keep the products they steal and not pay for them, nor pay the sales tax on them, the feds could do an Al Capone on them and bust them for tax evasion for receiving property and not paying the tax on it?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 26th, 2022 at 2:53:44 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

Sounds like they are willfully bad at their jobs and should find a different line of work!!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 26th, 2022 at 3:59:12 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Sounds like they are willfully bad at their jobs and should find a different line of work!!

I agree
Sounds like cops that do a poor job.
A good cop arrests people.
A good cop knows that it is not their job to determine guilt.
A good cop knows that ALL arrested are presumed innocent until found guilty by the system
A good cop knows that the system is designed to not imprison most people he arrests but to make sure they show up on their court date and if found guilty, to be punished then.
These cops totally suck.
They should be fired
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 26th, 2022 at 9:42:42 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
I agree
Sounds like cops that do a poor job.
A good cop arrests people.
A good cop knows that it is not their job to determine guilt.
A good cop knows that ALL arrested are presumed innocent until found guilty by the system
A good cop knows that the system is designed to not imprison most people he arrests but to make sure they show up on their court date and if found guilty, to be punished then.
These cops totally suck.
They should be fired

I sort of agree. I still want them arresting all criminals. But they work in the real world and we yap about them on WoV and DT. It just must be so demoralizing to arrest someone in the commission of a crime and see them the next day committing the same crime. You do realize that for most minor crimes now the criminals just don’t show up to be tried, right?
October 27th, 2022 at 1:14:58 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
You do realize that for most minor crimes now the criminals just don’t show up to be tried, right?

BS
You do realize that most crimes are pleaded
If you don't want plea deals, spend more money on the court system and prison system.
Without plea deals, the system would totally break down. The wheels of justice turn but everybody knows it's real real slow.
If these cops are demoralized, they need to find another line of work.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 27th, 2022 at 4:17:00 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Yeah I don’t believe that’s true for most people who aren’t habitual offenders, which is a lot of people. Easy way to go from getting off easy to adding a contempt of court charge and warrant.
October 27th, 2022 at 4:32:41 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rquiredusername
Yeah I don’t believe that’s true for most people who aren’t habitual offenders, which is a lot of people. Easy way to go from getting off easy to adding a contempt of court charge and warrant.

It would be interesting to know what percent of crimes are committed by habitual offenders. I would guess that number is pretty high but we could never know without all criminals getting caught every time they committed a crime.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.