In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

September 28th, 2020 at 4:06:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
This would be a wonderful thing to see get started, and then continue on to Nome so America has a deep sea port on the western side of Alaska to serve shipping in the Bering sea. As of now we don't have a deep water port to serve shipping going polar. https://thesaker.is/trumps-surprising-alaska-canada-rail-announcement-might-america-join-the-polar-silk-road/

Russia has 40 ice breakers, ten of them nuclear powered, while the US has 2 diesel powered breakers. Russiaalso has a floating nuclear power plant that is mobile, https://www.power-technology.com/news/russia-floating-nuclear-power-plant/.

While America bickers.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 28th, 2020 at 4:35:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: petroglyph
This would be a wonderful thing to see get started, and then continue on to Nome so America has a deep sea port on the western side of Alaska to serve shipping in the Bering sea. As of now we don't have a deep water port to serve shipping going polar. https://thesaker.is/trumps-surprising-alaska-canada-rail-announcement-might-america-join-the-polar-silk-road/

Russia has 40 ice breakers, ten of them nuclear powered, while the US has 2 diesel powered breakers. Russiaalso has a floating nuclear power plant that is mobile, https://www.power-technology.com/news/russia-floating-nuclear-power-plant/.

While America bickers.

The only Icebreakers we have are Coast Guard, the Navy does not run Ice Breakers so that greatly diminishes the amount we can have. (Coast Guard is minuscule compared to Navy).

Trump wants them replaced in 2029.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/06/09/trump-memo-demands-new-fleet-of-arctic-icebreakers-to-be-ready-by-2029/

I am not opposed to more Icebreakers, but we don't need to worry about matching Russia, they are an Arctic country, we are not (yes I know about Alaska....), but we don't need to match their icebreakers ship to ship...
September 28th, 2020 at 5:50:10 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
The only Icebreakers we have are Coast Guard, the Navy does not run Ice Breakers so that greatly diminishes the amount we can have. (Coast Guard is minuscule compared to Navy).

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/06/09/trump-memo-demands-new-fleet-of-arctic-icebreakers-to-be-ready-by-2029/

I am not opposed to more Icebreakers, but we don't need to worry about matching Russia, they are an Arctic country, we are not (yes I know about Alaska....), but we don't need to match their icebreakers ship to ship...

What do you need ice breakers for with climate change the Arctic will be ice free in 2012, whoops that's an old prediction fill in your own date. In the meantime Canada has 19 plus 2 privately owned we will look after you.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 28th, 2020 at 5:55:51 PM permalink
petroglyph

The Coast guard used to fluctuate between the DOE and the DOD, now it's permanently DOD.

The necessity for the US to have ice breakers will become obvious as country's divvy up what they think is their share of the Polar pie and the hydrocarbons underneath. Also as the Northwest passage becomes useable, it will be a great boon to our shippers to be able to make safe the route.

We are in dire need of a deep water port to serve the Bering sea, as I mentioned. Obama had meetings with the movers and shakers in Anchorage about building one in Nome several years back. This move goes way beyond who is in the Oval office.

The thing throughout history that has built the greatest empires is manufacturing and trade. Clear back to Sumeria, that's where the money is. This railroad link between the lower 48 and resource rich northern territory's is a great move to compete with the BRI. America needs something besides service industry to pay our bills with.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 28th, 2020 at 5:58:46 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
What do you need ice breakers for with climate change the Arctic will be ice free in 2012, whoops that's an old prediction fill in your own date. In the meantime Canada has 19 plus 2 privately owned we will look after you.

Nobody has ever claimed that there will be no ice in the world by 2012 (or 2020).

Canada has a need for 19 icebreakers, U.S. can be fine with far less than 10 (probably less than 5 even with the changing dynamics).....

We don’t need to match Canada or Russia on this front, we not an arctic country, we have different needs.
September 28th, 2020 at 6:26:32 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Nobody has ever claimed that there will be no ice in the world by 2012 (or 2020).

You are even younger than I thought.

"Gore made his prediction at COP15 Copenhagen which ran from Dec 7 – Dec 18, 2009, where he repeatedly referenced “state-of-the-art” computer modeling to suggest that the north polar ice cap may lose all of its ice by 2014."

He was just repeating what many 'scientists' at the time were claiming. Current claims are for sure by 2050 but probably much earlier.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 28th, 2020 at 6:28:23 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Canada has a need for 19 icebreakers, U.S. can be fine with far less than 10 (probably less than 5 even with the changing dynamics).....

We don’t need to match Canada or Russia on this front, we not an arctic country, we have different needs.

Why do we need any icebreaker ships? We have lots of leftover ww2 munitions we could drop on the ice,
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 29th, 2020 at 12:56:58 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Sure hope Trump brings up Sleazy Hunter tomorrow night!!

Senate report links Hunter Biden to ‘prostitution or human trafficking ring’
September 29th, 2020 at 1:47:44 AM permalink
petroglyph
September 29th, 2020 at 5:03:44 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
As for all those comments about heat in death valley, I recall the tee shirts about two skeletons sipping cocta8ls...Yes, but it is a dry heat!