Remember When

December 1st, 2014 at 2:34:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

When I examine deeds from 1900-1980s I marvel at how much time it must have taken to type all of it out and how few errors I find.

When my dad bought the old house in 1960,
it came with a file that had the history of who
owned the property back to 1854, it was quite
thick. What was that called and when did they
stop doing it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2014 at 2:56:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
When my dad bought the old house in 1960,
it came with a file that had the history of who
owned the property back to 1854, it was quite
thick. What was that called and when did they
stop doing it.

It is called an abstract or (very) full title search. It is what myself and Teddys provide to clients and costs thousands of dollars to produce. It can take a week or more and be inches thick on paper. I do not know that it would ever have been done for a residential home, even in 1960 they would not need that much of a search AFIK.

I have done very little in the way of residential searches, the ones I have done go back 50+ years, the "+" meaning 50 years then to the latest deed before.
The President is a fink.
December 1st, 2014 at 3:40:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
They were included free with the home
purchase up to about 1970 I think. I
still have it. Amazing how many owners
in 100 years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2014 at 6:02:40 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
What was that called and when did they
stop doing it.

I still have a typewriter, haven't used
it in over 20 years. Why do I keep it.

Maybe you keep it just to remind yourself what a question mark looks like. ;)
December 1st, 2014 at 6:09:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: zippyboy

Maybe you keep it just to remind yourself what a question mark looks like. ;)

"A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point, rather than to elicit an answer."

No question mark needed. Take another
hit on the hash pipe and chill. We have
it under control.
December 1st, 2014 at 6:18:28 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Remember when...even rhetorical questions had question marks?
March 17th, 2015 at 11:07:50 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: buzzardknot
Absolutely. Remember when you would walk into a room and somebody would go " SHHHHH . I am talking long distance " Or calling the wife and asking for yourself on person to person call to let her know you made it to your out of town destination.

The above quote was from the movie thread. It knocked some things loose for me. Things like...

"This is a collect call from... 'IMATTHEAIRPORTPICKMEUP"... would you like to accept the charges?" =D

I used to do that all the time when I was a kid. Huge hill between town and my home. After a day full of football, I didn't want to pedal up that big ass hill. Always made the "collect call message".

Grandparents had a rotary phone. Damn everyone with 9's and 0's in their number. Ziiiiip tikatikatikak Zip tika Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip tikatikatikatikatikatikatikatika......and then you hear the neighbors talking, as they had a party line and it was in use. Party Lines! Remember that faff? Ziiiip tikatika..hello? I'm on the line..tikatika...

Now it's just one button and a command. "BOOP! 'Call George'", while simultaneously texting your crush AND shopping online.

And we still bitch about it. At least that never changes =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 17th, 2015 at 11:57:27 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face
The above quote was from the movie thread. It knocked some things loose for me. Things like...

"This is a collect call from... 'IMATTHEAIRPORTPICKMEUP"... would you like to accept the charges?" =D

I used to do that all the time when I was a kid. Huge hill between town and my home. After a day full of football, I didn't want to pedal up that big ass hill. Always made the "collect call message".

Grandparents had a rotary phone. Damn everyone with 9's and 0's in their number. Ziiiiip tikatikatikak Zip tika Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip tikatikatikatikatikatikatikatika......and then you hear the neighbors talking, as they had a party line and it was in use. Party Lines! Remember that faff? Ziiiip tikatika..hello? I'm on the line..tikatika...

Now it's just one button and a command. "BOOP! 'Call George'", while simultaneously texting your crush AND shopping online.

And we still bitch about it. At least that never changes =p

Remember the busy signal when you really needed to get through.
I played organized football as a 12 and 13 yr old.
After practice, call Dad on a payphone to pick me up.
Well My Mom would sometimes get on a long distance talk with over seas relatives for real long conversations.
I've been calling on the payphone every 5 min just getting the busy signal.
My fathers laying on the couch wondering why I haven't called yet, looks over, sees Mom on the phone and it hits him.
I'm picked up an hour late , get home, my Mom still on the phone totally oblivious to my situation :-(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 17th, 2015 at 12:30:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined

Remember the busy signal when you really needed to get through.
-(

You could actually get an operator and
have her check to see if a line was busy
or off the hook. You could have her
break in on the call and say there was
an emergency. Do they even have operators
anymore? My mom worked an old
switchboard for Ma Bell all thru the 50's.
March 17th, 2015 at 12:53:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
. Do they even have operators
anymore?

New Twilight Zone premise.

Man tries for an hour to get a live operator through automated call system.

Finally, he reaches a live person. BUT it's his own voice!!! No! No! No!. Fade out. Rod Serling voice over.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?