Remember When

July 30th, 2014 at 8:13:16 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
well, you guys might be right, but I can tell you one thing: flats were more common 'in the day'

I guess the steel belt has made the biggest difference, but I'm not so sure the 'inner tube' thing wasn't part of the problem. Sounds like a good idea, and probably necessary before good rims and the technology thereof came into existence, but flats, wow, all the time.

Bias ply vs radial? BP was common in 70s. Was a good tire, and surely durable, but didn't handle neglect well. Run em on low psi and they went fast. Talking sub-10k miles.

There were big changes in the 50s and then again in the 70s in the chemistry, too.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 31st, 2014 at 4:23:47 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
Roads themselves are probably better, too.
You obviously don't live here :-(
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
October 15th, 2014 at 12:28:19 AM permalink
Face
I hate that everything has to be "modern".

I use a wooden stick. It's what I like. It's all I want. I had just two places left I could find them, and now they stopped selling them. Dude says "You need to upgrade lol". Pfft.

I don't want the quickness. I don't dangle. I want that pass to be completed with a dull thud, and I want anyone hacking me to have to work for the results.

I don't want a hard shot. I want that 50ft change up that gives the minder just that moment to think, and allow him to mess it all up.

I don't want some 2.5oz rod of chemicals glancing harmlessly to and fro. I want 3lbs of birch in my hand laying down furious vengeance forceful enough to change one's religion.

But I finally had to do it. I now own only one stick. Some carbo-graphi-compo-tanium creation. God, I hate it. It just feels dirty. Can't block for nothing. Can't hold it comfortably. I have to do five things just to do one thing. Heck, I even hacked my buddy's kid today and it didn't even phase him. He didn't even know I did it.

I just hate it. Modern. Pfft.

But I do now have a hell of a shot...
October 15th, 2014 at 2:56:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Face
I hate that everything has to be "modern".

I use a wooden stick. It's what I like. It's all I want. I had just two places left I could find them, and now they stopped selling them.

If they still use them in the NHL, and I know they do, then you must be able to get them. Try the internet. Try Ebay.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 15th, 2014 at 11:47:42 AM permalink
Face
Quote: odiousgambit
If they still use them in the NHL, and I know they do, then you must be able to get them. Try the internet. Try Ebay.

They still use them in the NHL? I'm actually surprised. I can't remember seeing one this decade. Or the last.

I am sure finding one is possible. The internet has everything. But... it's just not right.

I need an open faced, 5 lie, 80 flex Sher-Wood. Finding one? No problem. But... it's just not right. It's like, say I was looking for romance. I might want a tall, athletic brunette. Can I find one? Sure. Am I gonna get what I want? Probably not if I'm just ordering her online. You need to see, need to feel, need to date. You need to discover who she is beyond the stats.

A stick is the same thing. My spot used to have about 6 or 7 of "identical" open faced, 5 lie, 80 flex Sher-Woods. Every one "identical" to the last. But they're still different. The blade is honed just a bit different, the shaft connected slightly dissimilar, the grains giving a different feel to the flex... even "same" isn't same. You have to feel it, to date it for a bit. Then you find the partner you were made for, and spend a year making memories before it all falls apart.

Sure, I could get one online. I could also get a wife online. But neither offers the experience I'm looking for.
October 15th, 2014 at 12:33:32 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Canadian Tire still sells wooden sticks. I have no idea if they are any -good-.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 16th, 2014 at 8:07:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Is it just me, or does anyone else no longer cares what a flight's number is?

In the old days, when plane tickets were obtained from a travel agent or directly from an airline's office, the flights were listed with the abbreviation for the airline, the flight number, and abrevs for the route (ie MEX-IAH).

These days the letter-size sheet that is the ticket, the flight info features the cities, Mexico City to Houston, for example. And the flight number may not even be there (I think it is, but I can't say for certain).

In the old days at the airport I scanned the left side of the departure listings, which shows the time, airline code and flight number. These days I scan for the destination city and then the time.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 16th, 2014 at 10:08:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
Is it just me, or does anyone else no longer cares what a flight's number is?

It doesn't help me and I book corporate travel.
Sometimes a person will give me a flight number after the city pair and date
I always ask around what time does it depart, just easier to bring it up in my display.

Funny thing at the airport yesterday.
I get to the airport in Vegas, get to a machine and print out my boarding pass.
My seat assignment is 27D printed boldly.
Dumb me, I go to gate 27D. I'm like WTF when I get there, luckily my flight was same area 40D gate.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 16th, 2014 at 1:01:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Be careful about that ticket thing and check the latest treaty.... certain minimum typeface sizes apply and liability limitations on international flights may be affected.

And Next Flight Out does not mean next flight out on that airline, it means just what it says... but you have to have a paper ticket.
Check on this though since I seem recall it was changed.
October 16th, 2014 at 2:28:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
It doesn't help me and I book corporate travel.

In the old immigration forms for the US, which were current til 2013 but are gone now, among other things one had to provide a form of entry, which when traveling by plane meant the airline code and flight number (ie AM101).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER