Letterman's Replacement

Page 4 of 4<1234
September 9th, 2014 at 7:46:15 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
James Corden wrote the quirky British Comedy 'Gavin and Tracy'. I'm not sure how well he'd go over as a chat show host, he did a couple of projects in the UK that fizzled badly, "Horne and Corden" being one.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 9th, 2014 at 1:58:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
James Corden wrote the quirky British Comedy 'Gavin and Tracy'. I'm not sure how well he'd go over as a chat show host, he did a couple of projects in the UK that fizzled badly, "Horne and Corden" being one.

I didn't even realize he was a prominent actor when I saw him in Dr Who. His part was pretty bland.

Craig Ferguson had moved from Britain ten years before he had his talk show. He worked steadily in a series that lasted only one season, then on the Drew Carey show for 8 years. I didn't even realize he was a comedian on that show. I sort of thought of him as mildly eccentric.

They sort of have to take a chance on talk show hosts. They can't afford to pay them very much, and if they bomb out they get replaced quickly. It was like that with Conan. He wasn't paid a lot (by standards of TV show lead) his first year (possibly $1 million). If they catch on, it can be far more lucrative than acting in a TV series.

In his last year, Ferguson may have made more than the $24 million dollar a year salary that the Big Bang Theory principals negotiated for the next three years.
September 9th, 2014 at 4:54:20 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I wouldn't say he's prominent. Known, is a better description :)

I'd have thought there'd be 10's of better choices around the US and maybe a half dozen in the UK that could be nabbed before Corden. He's quite funny, but not as charismatic as Jonathan Ross or Craig Ferguson. Then again, Jimmy Fallon got a job.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 10th, 2014 at 12:36:15 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
He's quite funny, but not as charismatic as Jonathan Ross or Craig Ferguson..

Net worth put's Corden's value at $2 million. Jonathan Ross is $27 million and Craig Ferguson at $30 million (although that seems low for Craig).

The ratings for November sweeps for Ferguson were 1.6 million. If you figure about 200 new shows a year, and 50 reruns that is about 400 million viewers in a year. If viewers are worth a nickel for an hour that is about $20 million a year in gross revenue.

I doubt that they will pay James Corden more than $1 million his first year. These odds are increasingly the kind that CBS likes to take.

Page 4 of 4<1234