Letterman's Replacement

Page 2 of 4<1234>
April 12th, 2014 at 8:02:02 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
There is a video of Stephen Colbert interviewing Neil DeGrasse Tyson on youtube somewhere. He is as himself, not in character.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 12th, 2014 at 8:54:05 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: zippyboy
I haven't watched Letterman since 1984. HE wasn't too bad, but Paul Shaffer was waaaay too irritating. Made me want to shoot a hole in my TV. Shaffer ruined the whole show for me, regardless of how good a job Letterman did. Conan wasn't much better; his chin and hair were caricatures in themselves, and I always thought his sense of timing was off. I can't stand Fallon at all, but Kimmel is pretty good and spontaneously funny. I prefer Colbert to Jon Stewart any day of the week. I also think Stewart's timing is off. Why wasn't Craig Kilborn mentioned? I thought he did a great job on The Daily Show back in mid-90s. I watch Chelsea Handler fairly regularly, but agree she's not the right choice for Late Night. My gf hates her and buries herself in Facebook when Chelsea Lately comes on.

Colbert Report is too political for mainstream, but I think it's genuinely laugh-out-loud funny, moreso than Stewart's Daily Show. Colbert will have to change his personality to get the viewers. Heck, he might even call himself 'col-bert' rather than 'col-bear' so as to seem less hoity-toity.

"Col-bear" is, according to Stephen, a caricature of a right-wing talk show host, and is meant as satire. He uses his own name, but it's a character, not him. That's the claim, anyway, and I think, looking at old segments of him on the Daily Show, probably accurate. But whether the audience will accept him actually BEING himself, not the character, is chancy IMO.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 12th, 2014 at 1:05:05 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
That is why I was surprised they picked him. Hardly anybody knows what he is really like!
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 12th, 2014 at 2:28:50 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: beachbumbabs
But whether the audience will accept him actually BEING himself, not the character, is chancy IMO.

Conan did 2,725 episodes of Late Night over 16 years, and they fired him after only doing 146 episodes of Tonight Show (costing $45 million buy out).

So television is very risky. But I don't see anything worse happening than Colbert and CBS parting ways in three years.
April 12th, 2014 at 4:14:24 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64
That is why I was surprised they picked him. Hardly anybody knows what he is really like!

He's a good Catholic and teaches religious education at his parish, must be a pretty fun class.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 12th, 2014 at 4:37:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 12th, 2014 at 4:54:09 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Dalex64

I think that might be part of the reason why. He'll be different and people may want to tune in to find out how he'll be different, rather than -knowing- what they will get.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 14th, 2014 at 5:14:05 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Evenbob
I don't like Colbert, he's not mainstream funny like
Letterman. He's niche funny, a small niche. He might
last 6 weeks.

It's very very unlikely that your 6 week prediction will pan out.

After what happened to the Tonight Show in 2010, it's a safe bet that Colbert's agent (showbiz veteran James Dixon) inserted an expensive cancellation clause into the contract that would oblige CBS to pay out millions if the show gets cancelled early. Dixon is a well-respected big league player; his list of clients and former clients is formidable: Chris Rock, Jimmy Kimmel, George Carlin, Jon Stewart.

Even if you hate Colbert's act, give him some credit for hiring a competent agent.
April 14th, 2014 at 6:18:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: reno
It's very very unlikely that your 6 week prediction will pan out.

After what happened to the Tonight Show in 2010, it's a safe bet that Colbert's agent (showbiz veteran James Dixon) inserted an expensive cancellation clause into the contract that would oblige CBS to pay out millions if the show gets cancelled early. Dixon is a well-respected big league player; his list of clients and former clients is formidable: Chris Rock, Jimmy Kimmel, George Carlin, Jon Stewart.

Even if you hate Colbert's act, give him some credit for hiring a competent agent.

40% of the country are solid Right, they won't
watch. Another big % leans Right. It's going to
be a tough row to hoe to get good advertisers.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 14th, 2014 at 7:33:47 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
40% of the country are solid Right, they won't
watch. Another big % leans Right. It's going to
be a tough row to hoe to get good advertisers.

It's an act. I'm not saying he's moderate or anything else. Just that his politics will be largely irrelevant.

It's my opinion, as an outsider, that FNC and other RW power brokers think both Colbert and The Daily Show help their ratings and keep their quality of journalism higher than it would be otherwise, much as Leno or Letterman himself did in monologues. O'Reilly, for example, has been on all four shows multiple times. So I think, after an initial resistance, it will become neutral ground again.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
Page 2 of 4<1234>