Travel on a motorcycle

Page 2 of 2<12
November 1st, 2012 at 10:55:06 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I almost didn't post here. RedNeckerson seemed to be going for a "travel the world" type post about the joys of motorcycling, and my bike history mostly considered of gross reckless endangerment. But seeing the quote "1991 FLT which I took through a mud hole. For some reason." makes me think that maybe, just maybe, this guy is my kind of people =D

We'll see where this goes. I have a few "family friendly" stories, and cool places I've been, but most stories might bring some hate my way. Like the time I got pulled over for 140mph+. 4 times. In one month...

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 1st, 2012 at 11:53:24 AM permalink
RedNeckerson
Threads: 5
Quote: Ayecarumba
Thanks for sharing the pics Red. Your pal David really seemed like a special character! I'm sure he appreciates your caring for his ride (but may be pissed that you took off all his stickers..hehe)

I used to have a CBR600 back in the pre-kid days, and the $4 gallon gas has got me thinking about getting back on a bike as a daily commuter. However, I recall how hard it was on my back to ride a "sport" bike like the CBR, and am looking into something with a more vertical rider position. Do you have any experience on, "TransAlp", dual sport style bikes, like the Honda NX700?
photo credit: dilloncycles.com

I had a 96 Triumph Tiger "Steamer" a few years back. Fun bike and very comfortable. Most of the Dual Sports you'll be sitting straight up on. I know many who own and swear by The BMW GS models. I even have a buddy who weighs in at over 250 who rides a BMW 650 GS Dakar as his main bike. Loves it and has ridden all over the south west on it.

Trans Alps are very cool and I lusted after them for years. The main issue here in the states is they only sold them for a short while so dealers don't stock parts. And if you ever have to replace any plastic, be prepared to spend an arm and a leg. But, they're Hondas so they are damn good bikes.

The NX700 has become very popular with "older" people who like to rack up miles but don't want to have to heft a much heavier touring or sport touring bike. They appear to be very reliable and those who have them like them a lot.

I have a pic of the Steamer.....somewhere. I'll post it when I find it.

Love the pic of the GSXR!
November 1st, 2012 at 2:01:03 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Thanks for the input Red. I agree that the price for replacement plastic is CRAZY.

Face's GSXR is very, very cool. But man, that wet pavement makes me sweat.
November 1st, 2012 at 2:18:59 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Ayecarumba
Face's GSXR is very, very cool. But man, that wet pavement makes me sweat.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I loved that thing more than any inanimate object ever (and even some animated objects ;))

As for the rain, it actually handled very well. If you tucked down in race stance, you'd stay completely dry save the tops of your shoes. The rear would break loose if you tromped it, but that's half the fun =) Only once did things get sketchy in the rain. I got stuck in a torrential downpour up around our friend SOOPOO's house, one of those bad one's where 20-30 riders all huddled up under a gas station canopy. Once it settled a little, we hauled out of there, already 1hr behind schedule. The very first turn we made, I tromped on it and hit that damn yellow center line.

You ever see those guys that race bikes on ice ovals, with the back end yawed out like 45*? Yeah,... scared my co-riders so bad they had to stop. I was laughing like a maniac =D
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 2 of 2<12