Common sense versus science

Page 5 of 6« First<23456>
February 4th, 2015 at 8:33:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Not necessarily science, but possibly interesting for the same reason, as there is common sense in paying off the highest interest dept. But ultimately, you should do what works even if it seems to defy your expectation of what should work.

Quote:
Consider financial expert Dave Ramsey’s debt-snowball method of repaying the smallest debt first. Some argue that the indebted should focus on debts with the highest interest rate.

This is logical because you’ll save more money, but we’re not motivated by logic.

Dave Ramsey’s method generates small wins, which are motivating. This explains why we can lose weight easier after we’ve lost one pound. Progress encourages us to continue.

Can't confirm the premise, what do you think?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 4th, 2015 at 10:25:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
Sells alot of books and seminars probably.
February 5th, 2015 at 2:34:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Not necessarily science, but possibly interesting for the same reason, as there is common sense in paying off the highest interest dept. But ultimately, you should do what works even if it seems to defy your expectation of what should work.

When I got in many debt it is what I did without even hearing about the guy. Yes, higher interest makes sense if you are a corporation and talking millions and billions. But human nature is different. When you have a car payment plus 5 or so credit cards and whatever else you feel overwhelmed. So to get one paid off motivates you. Owing the same amount on 4 feels not as bad as on 5.

It is the same as when you have 5 tasks to do, 1 is way important but will take 3 hours and 2 less important but will take 5 minutes each. What will most people do first? They will get the little ones "out of the way."

Human nature and logic usually do not match.
The President is a fink.
February 5th, 2015 at 8:32:00 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
For motorcycles and bicycles, PUSH the bar on the side you want to go to initiate the turn.
January 24th, 2017 at 3:00:12 PM permalink
rxwine
This is specifically for the bolded paragraph. (more tech related than science, however)

Pattern cracking Android phones

Quote:
By covertly videoing the owner drawing their Pattern Lock shape to unlock their device, while enjoying a coffee in a busy café for example, the attacker, who is pretending to play with their phone, can then use software to quickly track the owner's fingertip movements relative to the position of the device. Within seconds the algorithm produces a small number of candidate patterns to access the Android phone or tablet.

The attack works even without the video footage being able to see any of the on-screen content, and regardless of the size of the screen. Results are accurate on video recorded on a mobile phone from up to two and a half metres away – and so attacks are more covert than shoulder-surfing. It also works reliably with footage recorded on a digital SLR camera at distances up to nine metres away.

Researchers evaluated the attack using 120 unique patterns collected from independent users. They were able to crack more than 95 per cent of patterns within five attempts.

Complex patterns, which use more lines between dots, are used by many to make it harder for observers to replicate. However, researchers found that these complex shapes were easier to crack because they help the fingertip algorithm to narrow down the possible options.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-01-android-device-pattern.html#jCp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 25th, 2017 at 1:11:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Amazing new research: http://www.seeker.com/life-continues-within-the-body-after-death-evidence-shows-2212720233.html

In brief, some cells in the body go on living and even trying to repairs themselves, for hours or days after death.

I actually asked this question of a biology teacher in junior high school. I thought at the time that, surely, not every cell dies when the heart stops. Most, I reasoned, would continue to function as long as there were nutrients available, and/or until metabolic waste built up enough to stop them. But I thought it would go on for hours at most, not days.

I'm beginning to wonder about giving cryonics a look. It may not be as insane as I once thought.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 25th, 2017 at 1:23:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed
I'm beginning to wonder about giving cryonics a look. It may not be as insane as I once thought.

I don't know how much I would want to extend life after a certain age. If I was heading down the tubes at 30, I'd certainly consider it if I thought it might work.

The only reason I might do it at a more advanced age, is just to wake up, maybe hundreds of years in the future might be worth it just for gee whiz factor, or disillusionment, or whatever even if I only lived a short time.
January 25th, 2017 at 1:38:26 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

The only reason I might do it at a more advanced age, is just to wake up, maybe hundreds of years in the future might be worth it just for gee whiz factor, or disillusionment, or whatever even if I only lived a short time.

That's entirely why I'd want no part of it.

My grandpops is older than the chainsaw. You believe that? When he was born they did not exist. Sitting here at 36 I can list nonstop for hours all the things I know of that my son will never understand. Just looking at my life in the last 30 YEARS is mind boggling to see how much things have changed. I even remember a time when you could drink at 19 and seatbelts were a factory option.

And it's only getting faster. I reckon you could be out for just 10 years, wake up, and have no f#$%ing clue how to do anything in life. If you need an example, just toss your eldest member a smart phone.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 25th, 2017 at 1:52:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
And it's only getting faster. I reckon you could be out for just 10 years, wake up, and have no f#$%ing clue how to do anything in life. If you need an example, just toss your eldest member a smart phone.

I've speculated that we have to reach a limit, after which progress wither becomes slow, be it gradual or in fits and starts, or it stops altogether.

What makes me pause is the frequency at which we discover more stuff about the universe that puzzles us. Many esoteric scientific discoveries may have practical applications decades alter. There's the legend that Faraday was asked what good his discovery of electromagnetism was for. In one version he responds by asking "What's a newborn good for?"

So ask yourself "what's the use of knowing the Higgs Boson does exist?" We think we know what it does, but what good does that do us? Right now, none. but being able to generate electricity did no one any good a couple of centuries ago. What good does turning copper coils within magnetic fields does us now? Just look at your phone constantly charging.
January 25th, 2017 at 2:22:44 PM permalink
Nareed
I don't know how much I would want to extend life after a certain age.

I think the ultimate test of whether the universe is or not fit for life, is living forever without getting bored.
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>