3 votes (75%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

March 26th, 2014 at 2:40:53 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
And I thought we'd moved on from the stereotypes of men and women.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 26th, 2014 at 3:58:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
And I thought we'd moved on from the stereotypes of men and women.

Just simple facts ;)

Seriously, it's just a joke, that's why I only listed the possible answers (which just continues the joke). And perhaps not all men give directions when asked where a street is, but all the men in my office do (and they do argue about it). I do have trouble giving directions, and I did get lost in my bedroom once exactly as I said I did.

I have a decent sense of direction if 1) I'm paying attention, 2) I put some effort into it and 3) I can see a recognizable landmark. Two years ago I got lost inside the MGM Grand, and took over an hour to find the exit to the Strip. At one point I was near the CSI Exhibit, firmly convinced I was getting close (it was rather far away). When I have to drive somewhere I'm not familiar, I bring along a map of the area.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 26th, 2014 at 5:22:36 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
Oh, no. You cannot believe how often three or four men at the office will start giving each other directions, discussing the best way to get there, shortcuts, etc.

Ohh, gotcha. My mistake.

I don't have that problem. I live in the country, not the biggest city in the country. If you want to get somewhere, there's usually only one road that'll take you there XD

Anytime I've heard a route discussion, it wasn't gender specific. Man and woman alike argue their routes. 100% of the time, it's a personal preference thing. It's what they value. Me, I hate traffic. That is my personal determining factor. I don't want to get behind one single other car on my commute, if I can help it. So I will offer the road less traveled. Others don't like potholes. They either have a really nice car they don't want beaten up, or a really poor car that can't take a beating. They will suggest the main roads, the state roads; those with the highest level of upkeep. Snow throws another curve ball as some love it (me) and others loathe it (most of the other NY fools who still choose to live here and gripe, instead of just moving =p) So I of course will remain on my road less traveled that hasn't been plowed, and they will take whatever route the plow happens to be going down at the time.

So I would suppose your office men have their own routes for their own personal reasons, and just argue about them because, well, people love to argue ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 26th, 2014 at 6:09:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Ohh, gotcha. My mistake.

:D

Quote:
I don't have that problem. I live in the country, not the biggest city in the country.

Whereas I live in the biggest city in the continent (I think). So...

Quote:
If you want to get somewhere, there's usually only one road that'll take you there XD

Ok, if you want to get to the nearest bank from our office, there are three ways to get there. All have their downsides.

Quote:
Anytime I've heard a route discussion, it wasn't gender specific.

Ok, not every time. but at the office it's all men every time, zero women every time. One time we were leaving around 2:30 AM when someone mentioned he had to go somewhere the next day, and the other three men started offering their routes and arguing about the merits of each. Sleepiness, fatigue and the desire to go home forgotten, I swear.
April 6th, 2014 at 9:18:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I opened the bathroom door thinking I was heading into the closet.

I hope you don't make that same mistake in reverse at night.

BTW: the online dictionary says the phrase "vice versa" is the same in Spanish (without the space). Is that true?
Kevin dislikes Mary and vice versa.
A Kevin no le gusta Mary y viceversa.
April 7th, 2014 at 6:34:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I hope you don't make that same mistake in reverse at night.

I jusy opened the door.

Anyway, there's no way I'd wonder into the closet looking for the bathroom and then find a place to sit, is there?

Quote:
BTW: the online dictionary says the phrase "vice versa" is the same in Spanish (without the space). Is that true?

Yes.
April 7th, 2014 at 10:28:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Whereas I live in the biggest city in the continent (I think). So...

There are a variety of definitions, but in the Western Hemisphere São Paulo is on the verge of passing greater Mexico City.

In 2009, D.F. was counted at 8,841,916 while NYC was counted at 8,175,133 in 2010, so I would say you are still correct.

Of course, the growth rate of the cities was totally different. In 1900 the population of Mexico city was 344,721.

In 1898 Greater NYC was formed. In 1900 population of 5 boroughs was
1,850,093 Manhattan (1,585,873 in 2010)
1,166,582 Brooklyn
200,507 Bronx
152,999 Queens
67,021 Staten Island

Manhattan peaked in population in 1910, and by 1930 Brooklyn and the Bronx had a larger population than present day.
April 7th, 2014 at 10:48:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
There are a variety of definitions, but in the Western Hemisphere São Paulo is on the verge of passing greater Mexico City.

good. While they're at it, please also take the crime, pollution and all the policitcians.

Quote:
In 2009, D.F. was counted at 8,841,916 while NYC was counted at 8,175,133 in 2010, so I would say you are still correct.

Taking only DF into account falls way, way short. The DF is sorrounded by the state of Mexico (of which it was carved out of) for say 75-80% around, and Morelos for the rest. The city extends well into Mexico state with only a sign to mark the border. that is to say streets continue into the other state uninterrupted (the border with Morelos goes through a highway).

This means the "metropolitan" area is really part of the city. not to mention lots of people, litreally millions, who live in the state work in the DF and viceversa.

So you need to add Naucalpan, Tlalnepantla, Atizapan, Huixquilucan, Nezahualcoyotl and other "municipalities" in the state as part of Mex City.
Page 2 of 2<12