3 votes (75%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

March 26th, 2014 at 9:44:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If a man says something in the forest and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 26th, 2014 at 9:56:11 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Is the woman his woman? And I don't mean that in a chauvinistic, possessive way. I mean, is it his wife/girlfriend/lover?

If she is, then of course he's wrong. It's not even a question, there is no other option.

If she's not, though... then no, because a man is ever wrong. Just ask him =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 26th, 2014 at 10:48:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Is the woman his woman? And I don't mean that in a chauvinistic, possessive way. I mean, is it his wife/girlfriend/lover?

Now, you see, thats' the wrong question to ask ;)

Quote:
If she's not, though... then no, because a man is never wrong. Just ask him =p

What I would like to ask is this: why when I ask "Where is X street" do you feel it necessary to say "Ok, you take Y street and go north for five miles, then get on the freeway..."?
March 26th, 2014 at 11:32:11 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to witness it, do you still blame a man for it?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 26th, 2014 at 11:51:19 AM permalink
Face
Quote: Nareed
What I would like to ask is this: why when I ask "Where is X street" do you feel it necessary to say "Ok, you take Y street and go north for five miles, then get on the freeway..."?

Let me answer your question with a question... What do you expect?

Perhaps it is the well known fact that men are visual creatures. When asked where a street is, I instantly picture the entire route from where I'm being asked to the street in question. I can tell you every street, every turn, approximate distances, landmarks to watch for, and boom, you're there.

But I have to ask a further question - Really, what do you expect? =)
March 26th, 2014 at 12:19:47 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Considering all six poll responses are affirmative, I think you have you answer.
And for that reason, I didn't vote.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
March 26th, 2014 at 12:23:13 PM permalink
Nareed

Downtown. West side near santa Fe. Near Reforma past the Columbus monument. South near the highway to Cuernavaca. Close to the airport.

Things like that.

See, if you begin telling me the route, I may not know where exactly I'm going. Also I may preffer a different route or, <gasp!> know a better one. I'd say, too, that 2/3 the time I know the general location.

Quote:
Perhaps it is the well known fact that men are visual creatures. When asked where a street is, I instantly picture the entire route from where I'm being asked to the street in question. I can tell you every street, every turn, approximate distances, landmarks to watch for, and boom, you're there.

Really? I have a hell of a time giving directions.

Quote:
But I have to ask a further question - Really, what do you expect? =)

See above.
March 26th, 2014 at 12:23:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Wizard
If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to witness it, do you still blame a man for it?

You just admitted you were there. Who else can be blamed? ;)
March 26th, 2014 at 1:29:55 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Nareed
Downtown. West side near santa Fe. Near Reforma past the Columbus monument. South near the highway to Cuernavaca. Close to the airport.

Things like that.

See, if you begin telling me the route, I may not know where exactly I'm going. Also I may preffer a different route or, <gasp!> know a better one. I'd say, too, that 2/3 the time I know the general location.

Oh! Well, I don't think that's a man/woman thing, I think that's just communication. Information.

If I have a friend that wants to know where First Niagara Arena is (it's where the Buffalo Sabres play hockey), I already know they have familiarity with Buffalo, know how to get there, and know some of the larger landmarks. In this case, I would indeed say "just get off the SkyWay and turn right. You'll run right into it" or something equally simple.

If you were in my hometown, some 60 minutes away from First Niagara, and simply asked me "how do you get there?", I'd give you the long song and dance I'd usually do. If you gave me some sort of info that let's me know your familiarity (where is it in relation to Adam's Mark? What exits of the I-90 is it? etc), then I'd stash the long winded response and just tell you a simple, one sentence direction.

With no information given, I assume you have none and will give it all =)

Quote: Narred
Really? I have a hell of a time giving directions.

If you've read any of my trip reports such as Wyoming or Richmond, you'll see I often brag about my navigational skills. Whether it's Salt Lake City, UT to Alpine, WY, or Buffalo, NY to Richmond, VA, I always do it without aid. No atlas, no GPS, I'll just take one, 30 second glance at Google maps and go by feel and memory. In every 12 hour, multi state drive, I have nary an issue or side track, often making a perfect bee-line right to my destination.

It's one of my few real talents =p
March 26th, 2014 at 2:19:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Oh! Well, I don't think that's a man/woman thing, I think that's just communication. Information.

Oh, no. You cannot believe how often three or four men at the office will start giving each other directions, discussing the best way to get there, shortcuts, etc. About two weeks ago I asked "So where is this street?" and four of them started giving me directions like so "Take the freeway and--" "No! Take San Joaquin and connect to-" "Are you crazy? Just follow Cervantes down to Polanco and then--" And so on.

We have two customers with offices on the same block. but one is on street A and the other on street B. I visited each about three times, driving myself, before I realized they were virtually back to back. Why? because I got one set of directions to one palce and a different one for the other.

Quote:
If you've read any of my trip reports such as Wyoming or Richmond, you'll see I often brag about my navigational skills.

I've gotten lost in my own bedroom.

Top that ;)

Ok, this needs a bit of an explanation. I opened the bathroom door thinking I was heading into the closet.
Page 1 of 212>