Original Sin?

June 26th, 2018 at 9:17:04 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Dalex64
So... an atheist's conviction that god isn't real is part of the evidence that god isn't real?

OK - if someone says something exists or something happened, proof is necessary
It's like I've brought up in other threads - -I say there is an invisible, inaudible, undetectable dinosaur in my backyard -- it is not up to you to prove that there is not one -- it is up to me to prove that there is one
June 26th, 2018 at 10:49:52 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: aceofspades
It's like I've brought up in other threads - -I say there is an invisible, inaudible, undetectable dinosaur in my backyard -- it is not up to you to prove that there is not one -- it is up to me to prove that there is one

I agree. I was just pointing out that if FrGamble wants to hold up strongly held convictions as evidence, the atheists can too.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 26th, 2018 at 11:09:27 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Dalex64
I agree. I was just pointing out that if FrGamble wants to hold up strongly held convictions as evidence, the atheists can too.

Ahhh ok - wow, I am totally misinterpreting posts today
June 26th, 2018 at 11:42:18 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Does that thing leave piles of pooh that you have to clean up? If so, I think I might have one also. Seems to like to crap at night.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 26th, 2018 at 11:48:30 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: petroglyph
Does that thing leave piles of pooh that you have to clean up? If so, I think I might have one also. Seems to like to crap at night.

LOL
June 26th, 2018 at 11:52:32 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I think an all powerful, all knowing, eternal God becoming man, suffering, and dying for us is a sacrifice. You don't?

You think that because you have
no choice. Examining how ridiculous
a claim like that is cannot be done
by you, not objectively. Your obvious
bias would always stand in the way
of your objectivity.

Quote:
So... an atheist's conviction that god isn't real is part of the evidence that god isn't real?

An atheists opinion is worth 1/10
of a true believers, because they
have actual personal testimony of
gods reality. All an atheist has is
a lack of evidence. Of course that's
all a god believer has also, but self
deception has convinced them
otherwise.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 26th, 2018 at 7:38:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

How many times do I need to tell you that I agree with you! What if I could show you footprints, bring you testimony of lots of people who have seen your dinosaur, I can describe its roar, train you to hear it, etc. Then I would think you would be foolish to the extreme to not at least keep an open mind.

Instead what the atheist does is the exact same thing you accuse me of! Without any evidence you try to prove to me that there is no dinosaur. Before you say that you can't prove a negative, remember I agree with you. The atheist is trying to prove a negative statement of fact - that there is absolutely no God. Wouldn't someone with half a brain when confronted with the historical, scientific, philosophical, and personal evidence not at least acknowledge the possibility of God?!? I get that you are not convinced and you don't believe I get that. However, there are some on this forum that proclaim with the same religious fervor I have for God their belief that there is no God. Why don't you ask them why they think there is zero possibility for God's existence?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 26th, 2018 at 10:02:53 PM permalink
aceofspades
How many times do I need to tell you that I agree with you! What if I could show you footprints, bring you testimony of lots of people who have seen your dinosaur, I can describe its roar, train you to hear it, etc. Then I would think you would be foolish to the extreme to not at least keep an open mind.

Instead what the atheist does is the exact same thing you accuse me of! Without any evidence you try to prove to me that there is no dinosaur. Before you say that you can't prove a negative, remember I agree with you. The atheist is trying to prove a negative statement of fact - that there is absolutely no God. Wouldn't someone with half a brain when confronted with the historical, scientific, philosophical, and personal evidence not at least acknowledge the possibility of God?!? I get that you are not convinced and you don't believe I get that. However, there are some on this forum that proclaim with the same religious fervor I have for God their belief that there is no God. Why don't you ask them why they think there is zero possibility for God's existence?

I'm not trying to prove anything Padre -- still waiting for you to prove something to me -- which you cannot do
June 27th, 2018 at 3:25:59 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I'm not trying to prove anything Padre -- still airing for you to prove something to me -- which you cannot do

Good, so that means you are open to the possibility of God but are not convinced. By the way it is not something that can be proved on a mathematical sense. It is more like akin to falling in love than it is proving something to anyone.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 27th, 2018 at 7:32:13 AM permalink
aceofspades
Good, so that means you are open to the possibility of God but are not convinced. By the way it is not something that can be proved on a mathematical sense. It is more like akin to falling in love than it is proving something to anyone.

Love is oxytocin - a chemical