Original Sin?

June 25th, 2018 at 1:00:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
What I mean is that if God knows every detail, then didn't He freely chose each of those details?

The myth says god created us with
free will. He doesn't control any
part of our lives like we're puppets
doing his bidding. The myth says
god makes no choices, he simpy
sets the rules and observes the
outcome. He knows the future,
he doesn't control the future.

The goof up in the Jesus/god myth
is, they should have said Jesus was
unaware he was god when he was here.
He had no certainty of the future or if he
would rise from the dead. Then you
have a sacrifice. But even then, the
sacrifice is not an earth shattering
one, it's not epic.

Jesus/god never gave up anything
meaningful enough that it would
'save' anybody from anything. I saw
that 45 years ago and the Xtions in
my group did NOT want to discuss
it. If I tried, they avoided me like I
had a huge wad of smelly dog poop
on the bottom of my shoe. Which
is what this subject was to them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 25th, 2018 at 5:04:46 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Bob, your last post was a little confusing. It seemed like you were saying a lot of,things kind of jumbled together. It also seems like you are softening a little on this sacrifice question and conceding that one could call what Jesus did a sacrifice.

Now you are pivoting to say that you don't think the sacrifice of Christ was really that epic. I realize that you might like this tangent of our discussion because it can easily allow you to deeply offend me. You can say all you want but know that words cannot express how much it means to me that the all-powerful creator of the universe becoming man and then taking on the punishment for all our sins. They say that the redemption of mankind is even greater than its creation.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 25th, 2018 at 11:54:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
how much it means to me that the all-powerful creator of the universe becoming man and then taking on the punishment for all our sins..

ALL Xtions say this, no matter how
nonsensical it sounds and how much
sense it doesn't make. They've been
programmed that way, because believe
me, to non Xtions, it's just a bunch of
words strung together that make no
sense.

God and Jesus sacrificed nothing, in the
way the myth was written. But if you don't
examine that closely, and just blindly
accept there was this huge epic unreal
mammoth stellar 'sacrifice', as all good
Xtions do, then to you it's real.

To those on the outside looking in, it
looks like what it is. Just another silly
myth. It's conceptually impossible for
an all seeing all understanding god, who knows
every detail about the future, it's impossible
for that god to sacrifice anything.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 25th, 2018 at 8:39:17 PM permalink
FrGamble
You are the one being silly. You keep repeating that if you know what is going to happen it is not a sacrifice. Or that if you know what is going to happen you don't have a choice. Whose choice was it to establish what would happen among the infinite possibilities? Was not God free in determining what would take place? Are we not free in our own actions even though God sees the past, present, and future as one? How does God knowing your actions unbeknownst to you effect what you do or say? Are you not still free. Please explain how God's knowledge of the future make His sacrifice impossible? You really aren't thinking about this enough, maybe you should attend a seminary class on the subject.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 25th, 2018 at 9:14:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
You are the one .

Cutting to the chase, this is a big
subject among non Xtions. We
all want to know what the sacrifice
was, and Xtions never have a real
answer. They flail around like you're
doing, none of which is a real
sacrifice. God gave up nothing of
value because for an all powerful
all-everything god like Yahweh,
that's not possible. A Greco/Roman
god could make a sacrifice, they
aren't everything-in-one-package
gods, they're almost human in their
faults. Yahweh has no faults.

Your god could do a one man play
on Broadway, dying on the cross
every night, and it would be as nothing
to him. No sacrifice involved. He's god..
June 26th, 2018 at 6:04:19 AM permalink
FrGamble
I think an all powerful, all knowing, eternal God becoming man, suffering, and dying for us is a sacrifice. You don't?
June 26th, 2018 at 7:47:18 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I don't know but if you put yourself in Mary's shoes what would you say? If it was true and the Angel Gabriel appeared to you and told you the news that you would miraculously conceive and bear a son, that seems like a message you would stay true to no matter what. Can you imagine the ridicule and embarrassment she must have had to face, from Joseph first, her family, and the entire small knit community at the time? The ridicule she experienced would make Nareed's an Evenbob's look like nothing. Yet she never wavered from her story, nor did all the people who knew her. If something else would have happened don't you think she would eventually say so, if for no other reason than to free herself from persecution and shame? Also don't you think we would have heard from someone else, anyone in the ancient world who doubted her story? Instead as I've mentioned it was not just Mary, but everyone unanimously who believed from the beginning that there was something very special about her and the birth of Jesus.

Conviction does not equal truth Padre -- just because Mary stuck to her story does not make it true
June 26th, 2018 at 8:17:22 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: aceofspades
Conviction does not equal truth Padre -- just because Mary stuck to her story does not make it true

True, it is part of the evidence that it is true.
June 26th, 2018 at 8:27:08 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
True, it is part of the evidence that it is true.

lol
June 26th, 2018 at 9:10:39 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
So... an atheist's conviction that god isn't real is part of the evidence that god isn't real?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan