Malaysian Jet

April 15th, 2014 at 9:18:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: beachbumbabs
Paco, I absolutely do see it with B737's.

I discovered another Transatlantic Narrow Body flight with B757-200 that is considerably longer
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) - Berlin, Germany (TXL - Tegel)
Travel Time: 8 hr 20 mn Distance:3,980 miles Flight: UA124
Air Fare roughly $1000

Air Berlin flies nonstops to Chicago-O'Hare, and New York-JFK presumably with widebody aircraft, but the Newark flight gives you an option without having to fly through a major airport like Frankfurt.

According to Wikipedia the longest flights with Boeing 737-900 and a Boeing 757-300 is San Francisco to Boston (2,704miles) and they are both run by United.

The other distance record holders may have special configurations with small numbers of seats.
Boeing 737-800 Frankfurt to Pune 4,159 miles PrivatAir PT 768
Boeing 737-700ER Tokyo to Mumbai 4,223 miles All Nippon Airways NH 943
Boeing 737-900ER Istanbul to Dar es Salaam 3,357 miles Turkish Airlines TK 603

Transatlantic narrow body flights would hopefully open up nonstops to smaller airports like Malaga Spain. While there is a flight from virtually every European airport to Malaga you often have to go through tortured connections to get there from the USA.
April 15th, 2014 at 12:06:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
May I suggest you ask a number of Egyptian males. .

That's your source? Again, are you joking?

"The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of the EgyptAir flight 990 accident is the airplane's departure from normal cruise flight and subsequent impact with the Atlantic Ocean as a result of the relief first officer's flight control inputs."

Pilot suicide.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 15th, 2014 at 12:40:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Attempts to move traffic to Adolfo López Mateos International Airport in Toluca,

I've written before how the demise of Mexicana, and to a lesser degress of other airlines, nearly killed Toluca as an airport. And that's too bad, as the airport had just undergone expansion shortly before operations fell rpecipitoulsy.

But unlike prior attempts to make Toluca a going conern, this one has kept working. It's just not as convenient as it used to be in its 2005-2011 heyday.

Queretaro is unrelaistic. It's 2.5 hours away by car, 2 if you break the speed limits, and for most people access to the highway involves long choke points with very bad traffic. Not to mentiont here's a lot, and I do mean a LOT, of truck traffic which slows things down further. it'd be a nightmare to catch a flight from Queretaro.

Puebla is even worse. it's closer, yes, but the highway is prone to flooding, and then it fails completely. It once took me nearly nine hours to make an urgent round trip there under just such conditions. The one exit to the highway is horrendous and prone to bouts of amazingly abd traffic at certain times (so it is in Toluca, but there are known alternatives).

Quote:
A bus terminal in small cities in Mexico are often nicer than the air terminal.

I don't think so. I can't even begin to imagine such a thing. I mean, the bus terminals in Mexico city are rather ugly, not to mention crowded and in really abd neighborhoods (three fo them; Taxqueña is not so bad). Small town terminals are just ugly.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 15th, 2014 at 2:01:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I don't think so. I can't even begin to imagine such a thing. I mean, the bus terminals in Mexico city are rather ugly, not to mention crowded and in really abd neighborhoods (three fo them; Taxqueña is not so bad). Small town terminals are just ugly.

In Oaxaca City, the ADO terminal was newer, more spacious, and cleaner than the OAX air terminal. I distinctly read an article that ADO was worried about competing with the up and coming low cost airlines (Volaris, Interjet, Viva AeroBus), so they were investing capital in replacing old bus terminals and in purchasing better quality coaches.

The second class bus terminal in Oaxaca was pretty much of a dump, and there were crowded local terminals.

As for Mexico City, I have only been to TAPO. That terminal is not new, and I know the neighborhood is not great, but it is much cleaner than a bus terminal in the USA. The physical size of bus terminals is huge compared to an American terminal.

Old second class bus terminal in Oaxaca City.
April 15th, 2014 at 2:07:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yes, clearly it was suicide. He was in disgrace at losing his job and losing his smuggling profits etc. and he took the crew and passengers with him.

But try getting anyone in Egypt to accept that. Its not just contrary to their culture for a man to lose his job for fondling a woman's breasts but its a matter of national honor that no Egyptian would intentionally crash his plane.
April 15th, 2014 at 3:05:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
As for Mexico City, I have only been to TAPO. That terminal is not new, and I know the neighborhood is not great, but it is much cleaner than a bus terminal in the USA.

It looks nothing like that photo you posted. In fact, the last time I took a bus there I vowed never to do so again.

Quote:
The physical size of bus terminals is huge compared to an American terminal.

That may be so. But then the bus as a means of long-range transportation amkes little sense in America. It would in Europe.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 23rd, 2014 at 3:43:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Still no piece of the jet has been identified anywhere.

They had a false ID today.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 23rd, 2014 at 6:53:00 PM permalink
Tomspur
Threads: 4
Quote: rxwine
Still no piece of the jet has been identified anywhere.

They had a false ID today.

Babs' theory is starting to hold more and more water. How can they find no trace of this plane? If it had impacted with the water surely some parts had to have shorn off and floated or had some boyant pieces from inside the wreckage escape and float?

I know it is a huge search area and I know they may even be looking in the wrong area but come now....nothing, seriously?

Again, imo they will never find this plane unless "someone" wants us to find it.
April 23rd, 2014 at 7:14:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If it crashed on a remote island, that would explain no wreckage (yes, Lost again)

Perhaps it was crashed intentionally on a small island? And the search area is wrong.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 23rd, 2014 at 7:26:09 PM permalink
Tomspur
Threads: 4
Quote: rxwine
If it crashed on a remote island, that would explain no wreckage (yes, Lost again)

Perhaps it was crashed intentionally on a small island? And the search area is wrong.

That is completely plausible I guess but how could the investigators have gotten those "pings" so absolutely wrong?

This is not only incredibly tragic but very perplexing.....