Fishing With Face

Page 55 of 56« First<5253545556>

Thread Rating:

April 21st, 2020 at 12:33:24 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
10-4 on checking for obstructions.

Quote: petroglyph
How steep is it? Is it so slight an angle that you have to back the pickup out in the water up to the exhaust pipe?

Variable. If at Erie, probably have to drive until front bumper is under lol. It's a basin lake, not deep at all. Others the slope don't matter, cuz as soon as it's off the terrain it's sinking into muck. Wouldn't even have to get the truck wheels wet lol.

Quote: petro
Does your trailer tip, so you can pick your boat off the beach? Some people launch their skiffs on a dry beach and wait for the tide to lift them off.

No tip, and no tides. Whatever must be done must be done by me.

Probably won't be an issue as the docks are already back open. But... I'm already getting ideas, so the convo seems necessary lol.

Quote: rupertJ

And just to let you know @Face, I've read the thread from start to finish in a couple of enjoyable days. Not like I'm going anywhere. I couldn't really stop.
Thank you for sharing so much of your fishing knowledge, life and family so openly and freely. I think you're a pretty amazing guy.
Quite a read.

Welcome. I can assure you, the pleasure was all mine =)

You know, it occurred to me that your son has a natural feel for fish.

It's spooky, and I'm glad someone sees it, and it's not a case of parental delusion lol.

He seems to have had it from the jump. This thread started with OG warning me not to burn him out, but even way back then, you could see it. You can't fish this much and not see someone that just ain't into it, and that simply NEVER happened. No matter how grindy his reel got, or how bad the fishing, he's always had an exaggerated interest and dedication (if not obsession, and I say that semi literally) I still remember the day I graduated him from push button to spinning reel, expecting a long day and several weeks of added problems. We spent 10 whole minutes in the driveway,... and that was it. That very day not an hour later he was stuffed up under an overhanging pine and only hung it up once the whole afternoon. He exceeds 100 outings a summer, going with anyone willing to tote him whether I'm there or not, and has so for the last 4 years.

And not one goddamn bit of it is me letting him win lol. That ship sailed some 4 years ago, and I genuinely have problems with, and actually find pride in, managing to best him now. This year is all about that, who of us two gets the cycle first. The fiery upstart or the wily veteran? Place your bets!
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 21st, 2020 at 1:55:21 PM permalink
rupertJ
Threads: 0
I bet on Jax. But only because you still do most the work getting there and handling the trip. That gets Jax a head start setting his gear and in the water first.
If you guys agreed on line in the water at the same time on days you're going to keep track of, it might be fairer. But big picture, who cares. It's having fun that counts. I have fun even if I don't catch a thing.

Want to wager Jax will excel at gocarts and racing?
Something in the genes.

I have a Musky story I'm trying to edit to post to this thread as well.

You'all stay in and stay safe. But guess it's okay to go out if you make no contact with anyone when hitting the docks.
I don't think fish are passing the virus quite yet.

And not to be personal, if you don't want to discuss it, but what of Ashley? That isn't Snacks is it? I don't think I missed any pages.
April 21st, 2020 at 2:40:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
10-4 on checking for obstructions.

Variable. If at Erie, probably have to drive until front bumper is under lol. It's a basin lake, not deep at all. Others the slope don't matter, cuz as soon as it's off the terrain it's sinking into muck. Wouldn't even have to get the truck wheels wet lol.

No tip, and no tides. Whatever must be done must be done by me.

Probably won't be an issue as the docks are already back open. But... I'm already getting ideas, so the convo seems necessary lol.
Do you drive the boat onto the trailer far enough that you don't have to crank it on? Or are you one of those people that stretch the strap out to the back of the trailer and crank and crank and crank? IIRC, your trailer has side guides?

I like to back the trailer until the water is about up to the top of the fenders, then drive the boat far enough on that I can reach over the bow and hook the latch. Then watch where the boat lands on the trailer as I'm pulling it out.

Launching, I like tie the bow line off, and shoot the boat off the trailer, or if someone is with me, I'm at the helm with the motor warmed up enough it won't die when they back in the rest of the way. Yammy's can be a bit cold blooded.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 21st, 2020 at 2:42:57 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Far as betting on the kid? There's a saying on the Kenai, "never bet against women and kids". Experience doesn't equate to the only hookup of the day. Men need a way to disguise pheromones.

Fish can smell in ppb, way better than a bloodhound.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 21st, 2020 at 2:55:11 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
Do you drive the boat onto the trailer far enough that you don't have to crank it on? Or are you one of those people that stretch the strap out to the back of the trailer and crank and crank and crank? IIRC, your trailer has side guides?

Like so

Lol, I don't drive nothing. Seems so unnecessary. I just walk down the trailer to the boat and then drag it on by hand. The crank finishes off the last foot or two so it's up tight.
April 24th, 2020 at 5:30:26 PM permalink
Face

And not to be personal, if you don't want to discuss it, but what of Ashley? That isn't Snacks is it? I don't think I missed any pages.

In the catch and release thread you ask this? Sir, I implore you...

Awkward humor. Truth is you already know. I'm a disaster. When my mind goes to s#$%, everything goes with it. Life goals, career goals, social life, these can be paused. Relationships, not so much.

I have a Musky story I'm trying to edit to post to this thread as well.

Just a nudge. I'll be here awhile.

Moving forward...

No, it's not the Dacia Sandero, it's a 60* forecast! 60 with winds @5 "gusting" to 7. Boat is packed and currently charging, kayak is drained and ready, waders are out and dry. Have no idea what we're gonna do, but we're gonna do something.
April 27th, 2020 at 9:36:19 AM permalink
Face
Quote: Face
Have no idea what we're gonna do, but we're gonna do something.

We're gonna refill the shaden-o-meter, that's what.

I noticed trepidation and a fair bit of anxiety getting ready; I'm snake bit. Still overcoming the PTSD from the last boat, I suppose lol. But f#$%, that's all over. It's new ride time! Oh, you sweet summer child...

It was still in the driveway when I found the first battery issue. Wouldn't even lower the trim, and the starter was hopeless. No big deal, I'll just throw a quick charge on it. I just need enough to fire, and then I'll buzz down the lake to get enough in her to get us home later. We were fishing essentially at the dock anyway, it's a complete non issue. The troller's been on charge all night, she'll get us home if the battery ends up being junk.

Got enough in 'er and she fired right up, puffing out a tasty cloud of blue from the winterizing purple gas. Settled into that beautiful new idle and the pisser pissed as supposed to. Good start. Check the troller batteries and both were full. Check the switches to ensure they're off, and away we go.

Boat in the water and can't even lower the trim again. F#$%. No worries, though, as I brought the jump box. And, well... they just don't make em like they used to. My old jump box would start a Nimitz Class, but this one only works as a sort of trickle charger. OK... guess we'll wait. 5 minutes later I was tired of waiting, but, thinking as I do, I already had a 4th battery, brought for just such an occasion. Remove the old, insert the new, and lo!, it has the wrong posts and won't hook up. Lol, here we go...

Whatever, sit for a bit, get a good trickle, she roars right to life. OK, now we're in business. We're gonna fish right here, but let me rip across the lake one time, get a good charge in her for the ride home.

Leave the dock and, damn, she's a bit faster than I remember. Barely bump the throttle and I'm up on plane, already going faster than I wanted. Not a bad problem to have, so let's cruise a bit. Nothing wild; it's the first run after maintenance, make sure the filter's are tight and oil is at proper levels, right? Just cruise, high enough RPM to get a charge, then get to fishing. I rip to the other side of the lake.

Soon as I start thinking of turning, the engine has a word. "MeeeeeeeeeeeeeEOOOOOOOOORMMMMMMMM *pllbt*. Just comes off power and dies. Cool! Hit the starter and it coughs to life, but immediately stalls. Super cool! Hit the starter, and it's dead. **click-click, click-click** F#$%ing SO COOL! lol

So whatever, get the troller in the water now, as the 5kt winds are certainly over 10. Get that in, and hey! This mf'er is barely moving. 7 is trolling and no line is coming of my spool. 9 is jaunt speed and even that isn't putting any action in the lure. 10 is "make the person standing stumble" speed, it's got some oomph. Nope. No change. Check those batteries, and super sweet, one is down to 75% already and the other at 25%. Oh extra super sweet, this is gonna be great.

TWO HOURS LATER we made the 2,000' across the lake, back to our spot where we started. There was nothing there. What looked like a mud line was actually the change in the bottom; the lake was crystal clear. And the "mud line" was just the mud on the bottom, completely absent a single weed. We were too early lol. Long story slightly shorter, we worked the super shallows, catching a few juvie perch and a few monster panfish, which was good enough to salvage the day.

So, based on another thread, it looks like some new batteries are in order, which is no big deal. And thanks to petro's guidance, I think I already have the motor issue sussed out. Per his tutelage, I pulled everything before going out, including the fuel / water separator. Emptied it in a glass and let it set to have a look. While there wasn't a bit of water, likely due to the Stabil, there was a bunch of precipitate floating around, what I assume was bound water thanks to the Stabil plus my not-completely-filled tank. No worries, I already looked into that. That s#$% will burn up without issue, the only problem it may have is if there's too much, it might gunk up and plug your fuel filter. Which, based on the way it would fire if it sat but wouldn't if I tried after firing, seems like a creeping fuel issue to me. And it's a Yammy, a brand new Yammy. There's really nothing else it could be. I'm going for new batteries right now, then I'll pull and replace the filter, and then put this s#$% away and hit the cricks until it's hot lol.

To add a kick in the ass to the punch in the face, I woke up to my other tiger on the goddamn sidewalk again. A toe tap opened his mouth, and putting him back showed his fins wiggling of his own accord, so he IS still alive. I guess time will tell how he fairs, the stupid thing.

Only I could make fishing more painful than moto-X. F#$%s sake lol.
May 1st, 2020 at 5:20:31 PM permalink
Face
Lol, gotta post the losses, too. I am a bit too stupid a bit too often...

I even mentioned it like 3 times. "Don't get crazy, check the filters...", "per petro, I checked the filter..."

It was the gd filter. I thought it was bodged when I removed it. The gasket looked to be the next size up, it didn't really sit in the lip. And cuz of that, it sort of wrinkled and bound when tightened. I figured that's why a perfectly clean filter with no heat applied and only a few hours use would require a tool for removal; it probably was one size off and they just jammed it on. But I'll fix that, just put it on ever so precisely, and don't crank the balls off it reattaching...

Leak at the fuel / water. Pump was sucking air.

Boat's fixed. F#$%'s sake lol

Let's try this again...
May 25th, 2020 at 5:17:44 PM permalink
Face
And again and again, I guess...

Crick has been a complete bust. Granted I've not hit it as hard as year's past, but times I've done so I haven't hooked a single thing. Seen a few late trout, but... bupkis on the line.

The weather permitted what looked to be our first decent jaunt last weekend, but that too was an exercise in frustration. Firstly, there's too goddamn many people about. I go fishing all the time and I still ain't seen as many people as these random days this year. Ramp was a complete cluster as folks of all manner of skill vie for the same real estate. I say, with utmost emotion, f#$% every bit of "launch and recover" separation and change the labels to "seasoned and noob". Let those that faff in their faff lane and and we shit and getters get to getting. Goddamnit. Who in all of the f#$%s ties their load down ON THE MF'IN RAMP!? Pull that shit out and tie up tf out of everyone's way, you ignorant savage.

Anyway...

We headed out to the shoal only to make a detour as a great mass of boats were piled up in the shallows. As that is oft how perch fishing goes (look for a pile of boats), we headed over as well. Saw a few hookups when I looked around, some were catching via cast and retrieves, but we sat there for some 5hrs, with live bait, and only boated 3 gobies. Slim hooked up one time as soon as we started into what could only have been a sheephead, and we didn't catch a damn other thing otherwise. Went to the shoal and didn't even boat a gobie, and our last gasp at a troll attempt around some great freighters that had pulled up ended with the realization that these trolling batteries were definitely FUBAR as well. A day long trip and we didn't get a damn thing.

Last week saw repairs, and both the remaining batteries, rated for 705 amps, were kicking out 340 and 32 respectively. And that's not a typo. A test and $300 later, two new batts went in and we planned for a big trip this weekend.

All freshed up on maintenance and new batts, we left for day long trip into a scorcher. Wasn't two weeks ago I posted a pic of lake effect snow storms, but already we're in oppressive heat. When I got my kid ~noon it was already 86* and still climbing. Thank god for random clouds or I'd be more roasted than I already am.

We headed right for the flat by the launch, same as always, and found the rains hadn't quite flushed out yet. The cove was a murky mess. Pleased with the breeze and being out on new gear, I saw ~8" visibility and said it was good enough for a try. We set up, not even getting positioned let alone the gear out before the kid was tossing bait, and by the time the motor was up and we were drifting he was setting into his first of many monster panfish. The game was on.

Bit of a faff later getting the anchor on and gear out and I started flipping too-big Rapalas on too big equipment, as the kids and girl took up all the prime light gear. I don't think it was 3 casts, might've even been the first, when I banged into the biggest hog I've hooked in a while. Probably right around 3 lbs and over 20" long. Kids went nuts and, what the hell, into the livewell it went.

We stayed in that bay for I don't even know how long. 4hrs? 5? Sat right there where an $800 canoe or $40 pair of muck boots would've got it done and slayed it. Kid caught pumkinseed like dinner plates. Slim, now into fishing ever since I hooked him on Stardew Valley, nailed a ton of firsts, including a few largemouth. I set a personal record with a 16" / 2lb bullhead, that I caught tearing some J5 Rap through the weeds. Far and away the biggest ever caught, the biggest one I've ever seen, but it didn't count for points as my hesitation with taking a barb to the palm meant it never made the boat. Was a weird and wild day, and it weren't even half over yet.

We decided to bang all the way down the lake back to the river, and it was a waste for the weeds. Though not fully up, they must've run the barge recently as it was all chopped up and the chop floated on the surface, fouling every offering we sent. I only add this part to mention the carp, which were not only huge but abundant, but also Snack's awakening to some real country s#$%...

We were plying this cove, half fishing and half gawking at the monster carp, when I hear her exclaim "What... the fuck... is that!?" Not known for a foul mouth, it caught my attention immediately, snapping my head up to just across a dilapidated dock from us where some 6 dude-bros, all teens at most, were broadside a 'tooner with bows drawn. I'm not sure my brain's ever sort of... tripped a fuse like that, just look up to see 6 dudes with bows drawn in your direction, but all in, like, flip flops and neon yellow socks lol. They were quite the sight, and got me to look around where I saw there were at least 3 boats with bows aboard, all of which pretty furious with action. We pretty much gave up fishing and spotted the tooner for a bit, deciding to head back after the shine of the meeting wore off. Tooner probably nabbed 30 itself. No idea what they do with them.

Boat overheated almost immediately upon leaving, so I can confirm it has a buzzer AND limp mode. Figured it was NBD and just a product of the weeds, I killed it and checked the intake. None there but I saw a small mat floating right next to it where we were in the weed free channel. Figuring that just came from my motor, I carried on and yup, it worked fine from there on out.

Back to the flat and I decided to try above the crick, and yup, up there it was murk free with mad visibility. Boy didn't want to stay there because "people were already here and caught nothing", but I caught 3 largemouth on 3 casts while the boy scrambled to choose an offering. That shut him up =) Banged out a few more before he got tied up, and then the bite switched to perch. Banged home double handfuls of those too while we drifted back to where we started, and kept up the slaughter from start to finish.

Perfect day except... my gd troller still wasn't working properly. Spent all of today out in 88* haze ready (not really) for a wiring project only to find my super sweet and super smart labels were labeled wrong, and the problem was I refused to just LOOK at what I was doing. Jumper cable went from positive to positive, leaving me with a 12v system. Wouldn't even turn the prop at the first five levels of power, it was that down on power. Swapped to negative and it thrust all the water out of the tote soon as I clicked it on. We're back in business.

Boy's going fishing with grandma tomorrow from 0800 - ~4, and then we're heading out to troll the night away. This kid's got it bad. Despite the start, I think the cycle might already be more than half completed already. Sure we'll have a few more notches after tomorrow, and I'll update the leader board then.
July 7th, 2020 at 11:16:06 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm happy to say this thread has been restored. Thanks JB!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 55 of 56« First<5253545556>