Fishing With Face

Page 53 of 56« First<50515253545556>

Thread Rating:

April 8th, 2020 at 2:06:05 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
I needed to see some guys having fun - thanks, Face

It's why I posted. Lil bit of levity, ya know? Some familiarity to keep us grounded. I can assure you, the pleasure was all mine and I'll be back soon as I can =)

But if thanks are flowing, you deserve them all. And I mean that, man... I didn't have a single smoke the whole trip. Didn't even bring them with me. And today (and yesterday, and...) there isn't a single tobacco product on my property, for the first time since June of 19 f@#$ing 99.

"Forum posting is stupid and pointless and ain't no one ever gonna change someone's mind", they say. Yet yours, quite literally, may have saved my life. My kid's dad's life. And there I go crying again lol.

Thank. You. OdiousGambit.

Quote: rxwine
Anything you could come up with for your pond or aquarium based on this idea?

Aquarium unlikely. They're both already so damn big, and while one is fine, I still worry about the other falling through the floor lol. Making either one bigger isn't really on the docket, and especially not with an upgrade that throws the balance off. At least now they'll just go through the floor. Unbalanced they'd be liable to take out a wall, then go through the floor XD

Outside I've two problems - my only tanks are huge, so it'd be a massive centerpiece too big for the motif, and my preference for a more natural look means the visible water would be grainy at best, and an outright block of green at worst.

But I have been thinking about it ever since you first showed me some years ago. Now that I've pilfered mama's fish to replace my losses, I think her 50g sits dry in storage. That would be more the ticket, and I suppose I'll ask her for it whenever we're allowed to see people again.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 12th, 2020 at 12:59:47 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Face
Thank. You. OdiousGambit.
I'm sure I don't deserve that, but in any case I hope you did indeed succeed , Sir
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 12th, 2020 at 2:04:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I watch some of the videos on this channel because this family and property are so damn idyllic.

There's this pond episode. This looks like just a cement pond with no filtration or anything to me. What do you think?

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 13th, 2020 at 3:29:02 PM permalink
Face
I'm sure I don't deserve that, but in any case I hope you did indeed succeed , Sir

You posted the zyn thread. It's been over a week now. Though news that they're dropping bricks at the boat launch liable to get me started again lol =p

Quote: rxwine
There's this pond episode. This looks like just a cement pond with no filtration or anything to me. What do you think?

There's no way. You put water in anything and leave it in the sun, it'll be green in a week. To have carp, and several at that, and huge ones on top of it all, not to mention the ducks, and still have clear water? That's a major setup. Those two planks of tile at one end, guarantee there's sand and pumps and likely a UV under there. Not to mention properly treated water. Each orange blob is easily $300+; I don't think he's just sending it in the manner that I do lol.

That sturgeon is wild, and I'm about as green as my pond with envy over it. I do think it might be possible to catch one, but not for no $25,000 fine lol
April 13th, 2020 at 5:07:57 PM permalink
odiousgambit
You posted the zyn thread.
to be sure it made my day to hear you say that. I also got off cigarettes in a similar way eons ago, which I think I mentioned [chewing snuff]
April 13th, 2020 at 6:30:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
...That sturgeon is wild, and I'm about as green as my pond with envy over it. I do think it might be possible to catch one, but not for no $25,000 fine lol
It looks like they still have sturgeon sport fishing in Oregon and Wash. imanm? Also a small commercial fishery, 20% of the fish allotment to non treaty commercial fishermen?

Looks like the "bracket" is tricky though.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 13th, 2020 at 6:46:16 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
It looks like they still have sturgeon sport fishing in Oregon and Wash. imanm? Also a small commercial fishery, 20% of the fish allotment to non treaty commercial fishermen?

Looks like the "bracket" is tricky though.

Yes, west coast. All 3 of ours here are no target, no take, unless I went the tribal rights route. But I couldn't do it anyway. Too... precious, if that makes sense. Takes like 10 years before they're reproducing, that's kinda something you don't mess with, IMO, specially if they're already struggling.

The Nation has a paddlefish breeding program. Been wondering if a filter feeder might help me out. Not exactly a "show fish", but I'd probably be the sole owner of one, and would fill my dinosaur quota...

April 14th, 2020 at 12:53:28 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Yes, west coast. All 3 of ours here are no target, no take, unless I went the tribal rights route. But I couldn't do it anyway. Too... precious, if that makes sense. Takes like 10 years before they're reproducing, that's kinda something you don't mess with, IMO, specially if they're already struggling.

The Nation has a paddlefish breeding program. Been wondering if a filter feeder might help me out. Not exactly a "show fish", but I'd probably be the sole owner of one, and would fill my dinosaur quota...

Hard to believe they kept longlining them.

They won't go through a fish ladder, so at Bonneville dam on the Columbia they get schooled up below the dam. Watched them get so thick, just porpoising in place, that the people that run the locks, locked the sturgeon through.

There was one so tame at the the hatchery on the Oregon side that was ten foot long, that you could call him and he would swim across the pond thinking you were going to feed him.

Never depleted a fish resource on a hook and line, takes greed to do that.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 14th, 2020 at 10:11:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Well, confession time, there was this one pond that this guy had stocked and brother did we deplete it ! Teen misbehavior. I still remember how good those fish tasted too, big huge bass .

I have to tell you my upbringing kicks in a lot these days so that I feel guilty about stuff I should just blow off as nothing, even stuff like this that was eons ago. But for some reason I don't feel any guilt about that episode, still brings a smile to my face. We really did a number on that guy though.
April 14th, 2020 at 3:48:29 PM permalink
Face

Oh, it's real easy at a pond. But I know what you mean.

Well, confession time, there was this one pond that this guy had stocked and brother did we deplete it ! Teen misbehavior. I still remember how good those fish tasted too, big huge bass .

I have to tell you my upbringing kicks in a lot these days so that I feel guilty about stuff I should just blow off as nothing, even stuff like this that was eons ago. But for some reason I don't feel any guilt about that episode, still brings a smile to my face. We really did a number on that guy though.

No need to feel guilty, IMO. Or, at least recognize that all it means is that you're human. Especially (no disrespect) someone your age, who was raised by someone your parents age. I mean, you are but just one degree of separation from the boon, most of the lessons you started with came from people who could cross a river via the backs of most fish, they were so plentiful. Before trawlers, before damming, before Detroit. It's not shameful to be a product of your upbringing, a result of your parents' experiences.

That you recognize the difference and changed something so innate in yourself should be all the evidence you need that you're OK. Hell, I remember milking salmon for eggs when I was 8. Or punting a trash fish onto the weeds. Or dumping bait so it "didn't die". That education brought change is hardly something to feel guilt over.
Page 53 of 56« First<50515253545556>