What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 8th, 2019 at 1:22:35 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Doctor Sleep

I'm a huge Stephen King fan, so of course I enjoyed this.

It is VERY faithful to the book for the first two acts, and then has some significant changes in the third act.

They did a good job mimicking the style that Stanley Kubrick used for The Shining. Lots of wide angles, slow dissolves and the music is very similar. Makes it feel cohesive.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 11th, 2019 at 7:06:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Fleastiff
Sure is. /sarcasm

Middle class couple, well educated, refined but with a few secrets from each other encounter a younger, rough-edged couple with a prison and hard knocks background. Personal interaction skills and value systems get tested on a jaunt through the Canadian snow.

Are they two couples or four individuals? How much of their lives is blind faith and how much is blind greed? When it comes to a spouse's decision does loyalty trump common sense? Does financial pressure erode or intensify love? Is honesty all its cracked up to be?

Eventually a couple emerges who have the training, experience, equipment, honesty with and trust in each other that they can get the job done right.

NOTE: There is a similarly titled science-fiction film about some sort of depersonalization incident. No need to confuse that sort of nonsense with the film I am referring to.

After the film was withdrawn from Amazon Prime it was hard to watch for free but youtube now has it on the Classical Movie channel for free.
November 16th, 2019 at 7:22:17 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Ford v Ferrari

This was fantastic. A movie everybody should like. If you don’t, there may be something wrong with you. I believe it got a rare A+ CinemaScore grade, which means audiences are loving it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 17th, 2019 at 7:21:35 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Ford v Ferrari

This was fantastic. A movie everybody should like. If you don’t, there may be something wrong with you. I believe it got a rare A+ CinemaScore grade, which means audiences are loving it.

I definitely want to see this
Amazing story
Currently watching a documentary on this race - The 24 Hour War
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 20th, 2019 at 1:18:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Haven't seen the movie, but this was a great discussion by Scorsese

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 24th, 2019 at 8:07:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. I'm still chewing on it and probably will for a weeks.

Let me start with just the facts. Contrary to what I expected coming in, Mr. Rogers is not the main character. Tom Hanks would probably be listed as a supporting actor, should it get an Academy Awards nomination. The central character is a journalist assigned to do a short article on Rogers. He feels the assignment is beneath him at first, but Mr. Rogers senses emotional pain in his unique way turns the tables and heals him of the emotional baggage burdening him.

There have been so many documentaries about Mr. Rogers, I think a fresh approach was needed to break new ground, and this does that. However, I've never been fond of soul-searching movies. The troubled father/son relationship at the center of the movie didn't do much for me. The way it all wrapped up nicely at the end was too Disney-esq for me and I suspect very contrived. All I know is the movie is "based on" the story of the article in question, which was real. I also suspect that Tom Hanks over-personified Rogers a bit.

In short, I liked it, a lot, but didn't love it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 24th, 2019 at 11:32:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I just saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. I'm still chewing on it and probably will for a weeks.

You saw him when you were a kid. I was
an adult when he came on the scene
and he gave me the creeps. Men
who act that around kids are often
on sex offender lists now. Even
the previews of Hanks doing the
role are creepy.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 25th, 2019 at 5:25:19 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
You saw him when you were a kid. I was
an adult when he came on the scene
and he gave me the creeps. Men
who act that around kids are often
on sex offender lists now. Even
the previews of Hanks doing the
role are creepy.

I'd have taken candy from Mr. Rogers any day.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 25th, 2019 at 2:49:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
You saw him when you were a kid.

The series Misterogers debuted on October 15, 1962, on Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Television.

The US national debut of the show occurred on February 19, 1968. It aired on NET and its successor, PBS, until August 31, 2001.

I was age 10 at the national debut which means I was too old for the show when it came on and I never watched it.

I was watching (1967-68 season) The Andy Griffith Show, Family Affair, The Monkees, Lost in Space, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres,The Man from U.N.C.L.E., I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Star Trek, The Avengers, Batman, Hogan's Heroes, Mannix, and The F.B.I.

The Wizard, born May 23, 1965 would be shy of his 3rd birthday, so he falls right into the target demographic.
November 25th, 2019 at 3:21:22 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My wife and I don't watch many movies, probably one per year. We watched a movie last night called American History X. I thought it was pretty good and I don't say that very often. It is on Netflix now if anyone is interested and hasn't seen it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.