What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

October 3rd, 2019 at 12:11:54 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

This looks good. Great cast (that scene stealing guy from I, Tonya). Apparently they only starting filming it in June of this year, and they’re rushing it for a December release for awards consideration.

Clint Eastwood can be an amazing director or a really lazy director (that fake baby in American Sniper!). I thought last year’s The Mule was good.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 4th, 2019 at 5:10:50 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Joker

Well made, well acted, beautifully shot. But I have no desire to ever watch this again. It's just dark and depressing and mostly pointless.

The Joker is a villain, and yet I have a bad feeling this version of the character will appeal to the 8chan/incel crowd. Guys who can't get a girl and blame everyone else for their sad miserable lives will probably see a lot of themselves in him.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 15th, 2019 at 10:27:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Does the new "IT" movie have a song?

https://youtu.be/vwjyeyAgok0?t=276
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 25th, 2019 at 12:26:30 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
just saw NUMB again. great. everybody pretty much dies from hypothermia.
October 25th, 2019 at 12:30:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
just saw NUMB again. great. everybody pretty much dies from hypothermia.

Is it a musical?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 25th, 2019 at 2:35:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
Is it a musical?
Sure is. /sarcasm

Middle class couple, well educated, refined but with a few secrets from each other encounter a younger, rough-edged couple with a prison and hard knocks background. Personal interaction skills and value systems get tested on a jaunt through the Canadian snow.

Are they two couples or four individuals? How much of their lives is blind faith and how much is blind greed? When it comes to a spouse's decision does loyalty trump common sense? Does financial pressure erode or intensify love? Is honesty all its cracked up to be?

Eventually a couple emerges who have the training, experience, equipment, honesty with and trust in each other that they can get the job done right.

NOTE: There is a similarly titled science-fiction film about some sort of depersonalization incident. No need to confuse that sort of nonsense with the film I am referring to.
October 30th, 2019 at 2:46:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

I just saw Dolemite Is My Name on Netflix. It is based on the real story of Rudy Ray Moore, a comedian and creator of low-budget action movies catering to black audiences. The movie stars Eddie Murphy as Rudy.

At first, I watched it in short segments of about 15 minutes each, as that was about all I could take. As much as I like Eddie Murphy, the kind of comedy Moore did made me cringe, both for its vulgarity and simply not being funny (in my opinion). However, when the movie turned to the topic of Moore making his first movie, I started to like it. I'm a big fan of other movies about the making of awful movies, like Ed Wood and The Disaster Artist. Dolemite Is My Name is worthy to be added to that list.

I'm sure I would absolutely hate the original Dolemite movie, but the scenes about the making of it were funny and inspiring. If you identify with people who risked everything for a crazy idea, I think you would like this movie. Although the movie starts slow, I think Eddie Murphy fans will like it too.

On the 0 to 10 scale, I give Dolemite Is My Name a 9.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 30th, 2019 at 6:57:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
In case anyone is interested, here is the original Dolemite movie.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3cdVVMf9jc
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 30th, 2019 at 8:44:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
In case anyone is interested, here is the original Dolemite movie.

I watched 5 min of it. The acting
is so bad it's amazing. It's like
the actors are reading their
lines from the script for the
first time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 4th, 2019 at 3:18:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
uH oH. Chick flicks suck.

Box Office Bomb: ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Could Lose Over $100 Million

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/terminator-dark-fate-box-office-flop-1203391309/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.