What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

January 24th, 2019 at 4:50:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Although it may be true that Cruise isn't key to a movie being good, he is often in pretty good movies. I don't get worked up about the Scientology thing.

One under-appreciated movie was 'Valkyrie' ... maybe you have to be a history buff though

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0985699/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_16
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 24th, 2019 at 6:05:16 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: aceofspades
I just wasted 2 hours on this movie (on Amazon Prime)
Got rave reviews as the best horror movie in years and yet, aside from one or two interesting scenes, the ending became somewhat comical

As a horror junkie, Hereditary was one of my most anticipated movies of last year based on the word of mouth. The first time I saw it I was somewhat disappointed. I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it (Toni Collette's performance, on the other hand, was EXCELLENT).

I bought the Blu-ray dirt cheap on Black Friday and just rewatched it a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it much more on the 2nd viewing. Knowing where the movie was going, I saw some little things I wouldn't have noticed the first time around.

I still think the script could have used another pass or two (the movie is too long by about 15 minutes and there are some questions/holes that I feel could have been better addressed).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 24th, 2019 at 10:26:11 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: petroglyph
We haven't watched Tom Cruise in "Jack Reacher" mainly because we are such fans of the Lee Child books where Jack was a part of our vernacular for a few months. Jack was 6'4" and built like a wedge. Can't help but know Tom isn't that way.

We would ask each other, "what would Reacher do".

I have been a HUGE Reacher fan since the beginning. Very cool that you love him too! And I have boycotted all Cruise Reacher movies for the same reason as you.

Talk about an ego. Buying those rights when he's obviously so wrong for the part. Everything about Reacher, his attitudes, life choices fighting style, etc. is based on his size. I can't imagine what they were thinking, selling him the rights.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 25th, 2019 at 12:24:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
Although it may be true that Cruise isn't key to a movie being good, he is often in pretty good movies. I don't get worked up about the Scientology thing.

Of all the male actors whose movies have grossed over $3 billion in domestic market, Tom Cruise seems to bring out the most mixed feelings in movie patrons.
January 25th, 2019 at 12:30:18 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’m actually tempted to go see this movie just to see *how bad* it actually is.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity_2019
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 25th, 2019 at 1:12:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
I’m actually tempted to go see this movie just to see *how bad* it actually is.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity_2019

The audience gave it 27%, it's bad..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 25th, 2019 at 1:58:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My least favorite living actor is either Matthew McConaughey or Keanu Reeves. Both are movie killers for me. My problem is not only can you see the acting but they rub it in your face. I think you could swing a dead cat in Hollywood and hit a better actor than both of them.

With Matthew McConaughey, his accent sounds like a bad forced southern accent, but I will grant that is really how he talks, at least in interviews.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 25th, 2019 at 2:17:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
My least favorite living actor is either Matthew McConaughey or Keanu Reeves. Both are movie killers for me. .

I usually don't like Reeves, but he's very
good in Constantine. I bet I've seen it a
dozen times. And he's not bad in the
first John Wick movie.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 25th, 2019 at 2:42:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
I usually don't like Reeves, but he's very
good in Constantine. I bet I've seen it a
dozen times. And he's not bad in the
first John Wick movie.
I really liked Constantine , saw it maybe 3-4 times.

I liked Reeves in the Matrix , and Bill and Teds excellent adventure .

Has Laurence Fishburne done any other parts as great as he played Morpheus?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 25th, 2019 at 2:51:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
I really liked Constantine , saw it maybe 3-4 times.

Constantine is another comic book hero,
apparently. The movie has an intriguing
story. I like the actor who plays the Devil,
David Stormare. And Tilda Swinson as
the angel Gabriel. The story goes along
at a lightening pace. I hope to see it
many more times.