What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

January 13th, 2019 at 2:30:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I enjoyed "The Freshman"(1990) with Matthew Broderick and Marlon Brando up until the part where they lost the Komodo dragon at the gas station. Then I lost interest as it seemed like a run of the mill light comedy at that point.

So I recommend the movie from the beginning up to that point. Can't say anything about the rest of it.

I give the first part of it 3 lizard tongues out of 4.5.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 13th, 2019 at 7:58:52 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm not sure if this counts as a movie, but I've heard lots of good word of mouth about Bird Box. Previously, I gave it a low priority because I don't have a good association with Sandra Bullock movies. I think the only two I've made it at least half way through are Ms. Congeniality and While You Were Sleeping. I tend to think not many straight men are big fans.

Nevertheless, I give Bird Box a big thumbs up. Part Stephen King part Black Mirror part A Quiet Place -- It has all the dark elements of human nature I love. Don't let Sandra Bullock be a reason to not watch it -- she rises to the occasion and shows she can do more than light romantic comedies for women. If her name is still a strike, it also has as a supporting actor John Malkovich. That name needs no build up.

Comparisons to A Quiet Place are inevitable, so I'll make one. The movie is about a world where if you look outside, you'll probably be immediately hypnotized by something that isn't ever explained and immediately kill yourself. Only the insane are immune, but they are still under its influence. Only a small percentage, who manage to stay indoors or blindfolded survived the initial days, but then they have to worry about finding food and the insane who can roam freely. To get back to A Quiet Place -- I think Bird Box is even better. So much so that I think I'll read the book and I have little time for books.

Anyone else see it? I welcome your comments.

My rating -- 10 out of 10. I don't think I've said that since Ex Machina and I Tonya.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 13th, 2019 at 9:28:21 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Maybe you like this Sandra Bullock movie because she plays a mean bitch this time? Loved the names of her kids by the way; so creative and thoughtful. lol

Since we never see the "creatures", we can assume they're either verrrrry small that can be carried on the wind, or a ghost of some kind. If that's the case, why can't the creatures sneak into the house when the door is open? Or sneak under the blanket she pulls over their heads in the boat?

jus askin'.....
January 14th, 2019 at 4:15:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Is Cabin in the Woods where Hemsworth throws his girlfriend in the lake in one scene.

yes

Quote: rxwine
If so, seems like I watched that like a B movie. Which means I wasn't expecting much and didn't feel disappointed.

Five friends go away for the weekend to a remote cabin by a lake.
1) party-girl Jules (Anna Hutchison),
2) her jock boyfriend Curt (Chris Hemsworth),
3) the bookish-but-sexy Holden (Jesse Williams),
4) wisecracking stoner Marty (Fran Kranz) and
5) the innocent Dana (Kristen Connolly).

It's basically the Scooby Doo gang (where Scooby plays the innocent character)
January 14th, 2019 at 5:57:20 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: zippyboy
Since we never see the "creatures", we can assume they're either verrrrry small that can be carried on the wind, or a ghost of some kind. If that's the case, why can't the creatures sneak into the house when the door is open? Or sneak under the blanket she pulls over their heads in the boat?.

My interpretation was it was more like a force than small creatures. Why couldn't this force go through open doors? Maybe it could, but to be effective it had to interact with natural sunlight. Perhaps the book will explain it better.
January 14th, 2019 at 7:16:42 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I was thinking it was something demonic and so evil that it sapped the hope from anyone who saw it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 14th, 2019 at 8:06:58 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: FrGamble
I was thinking it was something demonic and so evil that it sapped the hope from anyone who saw it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course. They never explain it, which I think makes the movie more dramatic.

However, if forced to give my interpretation, I would mention that those who looked at it seemed to smile a little and be drawn in before taking their own lives. I think they had the notion that death lead to such a better place they didn't want to delay getting there.
January 14th, 2019 at 8:14:54 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard
I'm not saying you're wrong, of course. They never explain it, which I think makes the movie more dramatic.

However, if forced to give my interpretation, I would mention that those who looked at it seemed to smile a little and be drawn in before taking their own lives. I think they had the notion that death lead to such a better place they didn't want to delay getting there.

Whoa! Mind blown, never though about that. Perhaps an angelic presence so beautiful and peaceful that it drew people to leave this world. Kind of throws the whole crazy and mean people are immune idea in a whole new direction. Interesting...
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 14th, 2019 at 9:20:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard

However, if forced to give my interpretation, I would mention that those who looked at it .

What they saw is Hillary naked. That would
make me want to kill myself. Pity they
couldn't cover all of Bullock's face. And
mute her voice.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 14th, 2019 at 9:26:25 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Re: The Cabin In The Woods

Quote: Pacomartin

Five friends go away for the weekend to a remote cabin by a lake.
1) party-girl Jules (Anna Hutchison),
2) her jock boyfriend Curt (Chris Hemsworth),
3) the bookish-but-sexy Holden (Jesse Williams),
4) wisecracking stoner Marty (Fran Kranz) and
5) the innocent Dana (Kristen Connolly).

It's basically the Scooby Doo gang (where Scooby plays the innocent character)

That's hilarious. I get the feeling Scooby Doo wasn't the first to use this same mix though...