What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 19th, 2018 at 2:55:51 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I recall there being some algorithm for beauty that considers proportions and symmetry. I wonder how she would rate? Based on the picture, she reminds me of Minnie Driver

November 19th, 2018 at 3:30:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Was she in the musical group "Hay and Oats"?

She doesn't look horsey from the front (far as I can tell) Nothing wrong with stable woman. Better than a crazy one.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 20th, 2018 at 4:42:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Ayecarumba
I recall there being some algorithm for beauty that considers proportions and symmetry. I wonder how she would rate? Based on the picture, she reminds me of Minnie Driver

Caught Ann Prentiss in an old movie the other day. She to me is also an example of imperfect looks becoming attractive - back in the day I think you could get most men to say she was quite attractive in that way. She sure got plenty of work back then and is said to have become quite wealthy.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 20th, 2018 at 4:43:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
Was she in the musical group "Hay and Oats"? 
can't find that in her imdb.com bio

Quote:
She doesn't look horsey from the front
No, but it will be interesting to see how she looks when older. Now I pick up on that nubility that young women have that, for me, overcomes the distraction of imperfect looks, ymmv. Unless the poor girl is ugly past all hope that is. Even Eleanor Roosevelt, who famously was considered quite plain [putting it politely] most of her life, had a certain something to her at the time of her marriage if you ask me, though ymmv on that example for sure

November 20th, 2018 at 10:05:19 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
I see a slight resemblance to "That Girl" Marlo Thomas.

Unfortunately, I also see some resemblance to perennial bad guy actor, Henry Silva:
November 22nd, 2018 at 8:29:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Warning: this post is about old movies

Finally watched in full the 1935 movie "Crime and Punishment" with Peter Lorre as Raskolnikov. Very good, though as already warned, you have to like old movies. I also have no idea how good any other versions were.

I read the book eons ago and don't remember much about it. Oddly, I still remember the name Lebeziatnikov [at least by pronunciation if not spelling] which must mean I found him interesting, yet I only remember the name. I did not remember the name of the main character, Raskolnikov, btw, but included it above in case anyone does [hereafter "R"]. The movie does such an excellent job of spelling out the main story. Though many details are changed in the screenplay, I'd say successfully so, the changes prove unimportant I think. I suspect the main story got lost for me reading the novel, which really goes deeply into R's tortured conscience.

The movie starts with R's graduation with honors from law school, focusing on the study of criminology; only to find himself soon living in extreme poverty despite his degree. Evidently part of his problem was humble origins, as his mother and sister find themselves in quite straitened circumstances also. I was certainly struck with this 'worthless degree' problem being a theme from as early as 1866! Deeply disturbed by this irony and his family's and other's circumstances about which he can do nothing, R gets into trouble justifying the worst of crimes based on radical theories about super-intellectuals being above the law. I'll leave the rest for anyone who wants to read the book or see the movie.

A few years back I had this same experience of missing how good the main story is until watching the movie "Great Expectations" - 1934, based on Dickens' work. In school, 7th or 8th grade, we read the novel as a class project. The teacher wanted us to get the maximum benefit of every aspect of it I think, but went so slowly through it I was bored to death, convinced the book stank. I'm sure I only watched the film out of liking old movies - winding up quite surprised. Now I'd watch it again if given a chance, it's just a darn good story, something it seems, for me sometimes, it takes a movie to bring out.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026246/?ref_=nv_sr_2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Expectations_(1934_film)
November 22nd, 2018 at 8:33:45 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Was that Westworld? I just watched it for the first time last night (Do we have a psychic connection?)
I thought she looked like Mary Tyler Moore
November 22nd, 2018 at 10:01:01 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
That's kind of creepy Ace... I was watching Westworld last night too. I'm pretty sure Henry Silva wasn't in it but Yul Brynner played a great robot. It's interesting to see how the cautionary tale of man's technology moving faster than his ethics is played out here and later in films like Runaway and Jurassic Park. Michael Crichton was involved in all three. It seems to be his thing.

Trivia: Henry Silva was in the original Ocean's 11 with Frank Sinatra, and also in the remake with Brad Pitt.
November 22nd, 2018 at 10:01:05 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Widows

“Set in contemporary Chicago, amid a time of turmoil, four women with nothing in common except a debt left behind by their dead husbands' criminal activities, take fate into their own hands, and conspire to forge a future on their own terms.”

Co-written by Gillian Flynn of “Gone Girl” fame, this one has a huge late-2nd act reveal (which I won’t spoil) just like Gone Girl did.

The cast is absolutely stacked: Viola Davis, Liam Neeson, Robert Duvall, Colin Farrell, Michelle Rodriguez, amongst many many others. There are lots of characters, and yet it never feels overstuffed.

I’d highly recommend it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 22nd, 2018 at 10:05:18 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Creepy indeed - so strange how this universe of ours works

You could definitely see how Crichton enjoys the "theme park" gone wild theme