What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

April 22nd, 2018 at 9:34:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The third man. Vienna. Stark, winter, bare-trees, cemeteries, long solitary walks, fingers thru the sewer grating. Trevor Howard. (Later quoted as "I've been playing Number 2 for Donkeys Years).
April 22nd, 2018 at 10:48:19 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Film techniques date back to the one camera era .

We're still in the 'one camera era'.
Movies, and even some TV shows,
are shot with one camera. Why
do you think it takes so long to
make a film. For every camera
angle in a scene, they have to shoot
the whole scene again. All the actors
have to do it the same way again
and again. It's why they make the
big bucks, the ability to express
emotion the same way again and
again and make it look real.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 22nd, 2018 at 2:29:16 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
We saw A Quiet Place today. Good if you don't think about plot holes. Very stylish, excellent performances. More intense than scary. Too many shock attacks. Still worth seeing, if only for its skillful handling of an unusual premise.
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:18:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Mosca
We saw A Quiet Place today. Good if you don't think about plot holes. Very stylish, excellent performances. More intense than scary. Too many shock attacks. Still worth seeing, if only for its skillful handling of an unusual premise.

I wrote favorably about it earlier. I'm normally one to be very bothered by mistakes and plot holes but this wasn't an issue with me in this case. Looking back there are unanswered questions and some things that don't quite make sense, but less than the average science fiction movie.

One thing I wonder is whether the sign language they used was ASL or they improvised one on their own.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:32:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Saw a POS movie on Nflix called
Security. I watched because it had
Banderos and Ben Kingsley in it.

What a low life piece of smelly
garbage. Why do successful
actors let themselves get into a
financial position that they have
to take crap roles just to pay
the bills. Like Johnny Depp and
Nic Cage do.

This was a like a low budget made
for TV movie, only far worse. 5
unarmed mall security guards take
on an army of armed to the teeth
bad guys, and the mall cops win!

They all turn from airheads into Macgyver
in a NY second. Building bombs, shooting
arrows, setting booby traps. It was just sad..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:39:30 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard
I wrote favorably about it earlier. I'm normally one to be very bothered by mistakes and plot holes but this wasn't an issue with me in this case. Looking back there are unanswered questions and some things that don't quite make sense, but less than the average science fiction movie.

One thing I wonder is whether the sign language they used was ASL or they improvised one on their own.

My daughter knows ASL, I recognized some signs. But I couldn’t tell you if it was all ASL or just some. I think the idea was that the family is doing well because with the deaf daughter the parents knew ASL already.
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:45:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard

I read that it was ASL, and the entire cast had to learn the whole script in ASL.

It is recommended (not required) that you know how to say these four phrases in ASL before watching the movie.
Stop
I love you
Loud
Rocket

The movie has now grossed $207 million worldwide in 17 days on a $17 million production budget. "A Quiet Place" is outperforming "Get Out" so far, and it may even surpass Emily Blunt's previous largest grossing film was Edge of Tomorrow which grossed $370 million worldwide on a production budget of $178 million (despite the foreign appeal of Tom Cruise that brought in $25 million in China alone).

A Quiet Place
Domestic: $132,358,711 (as of day 17)
+ Foreign: $74,800,000

Get Out
Domestic: $176,040,665 ($110,725,285 as of day 17)
+ Foreign: $78,976,664
April 22nd, 2018 at 8:28:41 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Mosca
My daughter knows ASL, I recognized some signs. But I couldn’t tell you if it was all ASL or just some. I think the idea was that the family is doing well because with the deaf daughter the parents knew ASL already.

Well, that explains some things I didn't understand. I'm going to shut up now.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 26th, 2018 at 7:08:39 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Avengers: Infinity War

This movie is C-R-A-Z-Y. The audience lost their minds as the end credits rolled. I don't want to spoil anything.

I'll just say I enjoyed it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 26th, 2018 at 8:21:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
This movie is C-R-A-Z-Y. The audience lost their minds as the end credits rolled. I don't want to spoil anything.

Supposedly the budget is about the same as for DC comics, Justice League which earned Domestic: $229,024,295 + Foreign: $428,900,000= Worldwide: $657,924,295

Predictions are that Infinity Wars will out earn that by the fourth day