What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 5th, 2018 at 2:13:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff
Heck I never understood what happened in that Japanese movie of eons ago wherein there are three different viewpoints... still don't know what actually happened except I think Toshiro Mifune became a star.

Roshomon
Great movie
Saw it in film class in college
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 5th, 2018 at 6:08:16 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: terapined
Roshomon
Great movie
Saw it in film class in college

It's a great way to tell a story on film. It was even used as a device in the last Star Wars film.
February 5th, 2018 at 8:13:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
It's a great way to tell a story on film. It was even used as a device in the last Star Wars film.

A similar effect can be produced by reverse chronology. As more and more details are provided, it is often seen that somebody's viewpoint was thwarted.
February 5th, 2018 at 9:57:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I liked the narrative effect Kevin Spacey's character uses in "The Usual Suspects." The story is revealed by what is at first assumed to be a minor character.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 6th, 2018 at 12:15:41 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Pacomartin
A similar effect can be produced by reverse chronology. As more and more details are provided, it is often seen that somebody's viewpoint was thwarted.

"Memento" was a low budget cult hit for Christopher Nolan before he blew up. It is told backward as well. It was very clever. I recommend it.
February 6th, 2018 at 12:17:46 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: rxwine
I liked the narrative effect Kevin Spacey's character uses in "The Usual Suspects." The story is revealed by what is at first assumed to be a minor character.

If you liked "The Usual Suspects" then you might enjoy "Den of Thieves" which is in theaters now.
February 6th, 2018 at 5:30:46 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
"Memento" was a low budget cult hit for Christopher Nolan before he blew up. It is told backward as well. It was very clever. I recommend it.

Memento was released in only 531 theaters. His only film before that was produced for $8K and aired in two theaters.

3/16/01 Memento NM 531 theaters
4/2/99 Following Zeit. 2 theaters
February 6th, 2018 at 10:20:19 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Saw The Shape of Water. Stylish formulaic comic book story. It’s basically King Kong except he is on the same scale as Faye Wray so she screws him. There is no way this is even close to the best picture. Not even top 10. Top 25? Maybe near the bottom. Just because you have an eye for color and staging doesn’t mean you made a good movie.
February 6th, 2018 at 10:43:12 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Saw "The Greatest Showman". It's a peppy musical starring Hugh Jackman based very loosely on the life of P.T. Barnum. Actually, the music is the real star, and although the setting is Victorian mid 19th-century New York, the music is 21st century dance/pop. It's an interesting mix. The simple but sweet thread of a story is punctuated with clap along, sing along power ballads and dance numbers with terrific film choreography. If you enjoyed "High School Musical", you will enjoy this film... not only because of the similar pop music and dancing, but also because Zac Efron co-stars.

I give it 8 nightingales out of 10.
February 8th, 2018 at 12:55:42 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Is "The Post" worth seeing?

On other things, I retrieved an ep of "Tides of History" where there are interviews with Gary Oldman, who plays Churchill in "Darkest Hour," and the screenwriter as well. One point the writer made, was that even modern Britons don't know how close Britain came to making a peace deal with the Nazis in 1940. Fine. but the film didn't strike me as showing this, except for the plotting of Halifax and Chamberlain. Churchill hardly even seemed disposed to listen to a proposal.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER