What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

January 31st, 2018 at 9:16:12 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Mosca
Saw Get Out last night. It was okay. I'm not a fan of the genre, I have trouble suspending disbelief. Some really good performances, though.

I thought Daniel Kaluuya's acting was wooden, like he had the expression for every scene except the "sinking into the floor" scene when he was full-on tears. Happy, anger, sad....same face. The humor was out of place I thought. The TSA cop didn't seem like he'd really be friends with our hero, totally different personalities. The last couple minutes of crazy humor was uncharacteristic for this film. I liked it as a suspense thriller for the most part, but comedy, no; horror, no.
February 1st, 2018 at 6:43:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
Afterwards, it made me excited to think about all the great movies we will get someday about our current criminal administration...

Comedies rarely make for great movies.

Remember: History repeats itself first as tragedy, and then as farce.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 1st, 2018 at 10:38:34 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: zippyboy
Quote: Mosca
Saw Get Out last night. It was okay. I'm not a fan of the genre, I have trouble suspending disbelief. Some really good performances, though.

I thought Daniel Kaluuya's acting was wooden, like he had the expression for every scene except the "sinking into the floor" scene when he was full-on tears. Happy, anger, sad....same face. The humor was out of place I thought. The TSA cop didn't seem like he'd really be friends with our hero, totally different personalities. The last couple minutes of crazy humor was uncharacteristic for this film. I liked it as a suspense thriller for the most part, but comedy, no; horror, no.

His character was apprehensive the entire time he was at her parents' house, so I'm going to give him a pass on that. And, Chris and the TSA cop were childhood friends. The cop had one of the best (and funniest) lines, "I'm TS-************'-A. We handle shit. That's what we do. Consider this situation ******' handled."

IMO the best scene was the "Give me the keys" scene, where we know what's up, he knows that she's bait, she doesn't know he knows. It felt like one of those dreams where you keep trying to do something but can't do it. Other than that scene, I watched the movie but wasn't really involved with any of it.
February 2nd, 2018 at 12:05:54 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Saw "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle".

I have never seen the entire original "Jumanji" (which starred Robin Williams), just bits and pieces while flipping channels. I don't think you need to have seen it in order to enjoy this follow up.

Although Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson gets top billing, Kevin Hart and Jack Black steal the show. It's silly fun, with lots of action and not much "real world" logic. The bulk of the story takes place in a video game. If "The Breakfast Club" and "Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom" used "Back to the Future 3" as a surrogate for their baby, this would be their bundle of joy.

I give it 7 pound cakes out of 10. Silly fun, but language makes it unsuitable for youngsters. I don't know why film makers do that, the movie would be just as good without the cursing.

Coming Attractions:
"Alita: Battle Angel" - Looks like fun - a girl cyborg fighting with big anime eyes.
"Pacific Rim: Uprising" - Giant robots battle giant monsters... and other giant robots. I may pay to see this one in IMAX.
"Black Panther" - I wonder if it will live up to the hype. The trailer didn't show me anything I haven't already seen in other Marvel Cinematic Universe films.
"15:17 to Paris" - This "incredible true story" looks especially interesting since it stars the actual folks involved in the real incident. Will it be more of a documentary than action film?
February 2nd, 2018 at 4:18:15 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Ayecarumba
"15:17 to Paris" - This "incredible true story" looks especially interesting since it stars the actual folks involved in the real incident. Will it be more of a documentary than action film?

Those "real heroes" need to stick to their day jobs. Their acting just in this trailer alone makes me cringe. Don't think I could stomach it for 2 hours.

The fact that the WB is releasing this movie in February, and didn't give it an end of the year limited release so it would qualify for the awards season tells me a lot.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 2nd, 2018 at 6:20:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Every geek is in love with Karen Gillian since she was Amy Pond, the cutest companion to Doctor Who in the history of the show.

February 2nd, 2018 at 7:00:42 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I saw Jumanji and I had no idea who she was until the end credits. I only knew her as Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy prior to that.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 2nd, 2018 at 8:05:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I have never seen the entire original "Jumanji"

One of the worst movies of all time, IMO.

But the animation based on it in the 90s was rather good. It's curious that some animation based on movies is better than the movies themselves. aside from Jumanji, there was Men in Black and Osmosis Jones.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 2nd, 2018 at 8:13:18 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
One of the worst movies of all time, IMO.

But the animation based on it in the 90s was rather good. It's curious that some animation based on movies is better than the movies themselves. aside from Jumanji, there was Men in Black and Osmosis Jones.

I thought the 1st Jumanji was very very entertaining. Watched it several times
I loved it
Looking forward to watching the 2nd Jumanji
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 2nd, 2018 at 11:54:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62

One never knows. Audi Murphy was given a "walk on" part because of all his world war two medals and it turns out the studio thought he was a good actor so he went on to have a career as an actor. So giving the "actual folks" a chance to perform just might work out. Anyway, its a way to start out with realism.
I saw a "trailer" on the film but it was about thirty seconds so nothing much good or bad.