What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

August 17th, 2014 at 1:01:41 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quote: zippyboy
I saw Lucy today. Interesting idea, dumb story and lots of plot holes. Some scenes seemed to be there just to show off the CGI that an intern just learned how to do, with no reason for it or explanation why it occurred. Scarlet looked hot as always though, and Morgan Freeman was great of course. The car chase through Paris was impressive...did NOT look CGI or staged like many others. The ending was about as confusing as the ending of 2001, A Space Odyssey.
Seemed interesting before they tried getting scientific trying to explain a brain at full use had superpowers. Some other angle would have been more believable besides brain power. Ten percent might be used for intellectual pursuit, but you still need to breathe and walk without thinking about it.
August 17th, 2014 at 8:56:39 AM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
You figured that out, didja. The CGI tiger should
have been your first clue.

The scene where the tiger is in the water and can't get back on the boat, where he's looking up at Pi, is really cute (until the cat bites your face off). And what ever happened to the dead zebra? I played the DVD back to see what ever became of it. Somehow its remains must have been cast overboard, and all the blood and guts in the the boat cleaned up by housekeeping.

And I remember how good Gerard Depardieu was in the movie Green Card. I guess he's in the character actor days of his career.
August 25th, 2014 at 10:29:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Never saw the movie Peyton Place till tonight.
What an Americana classic. Made in 1957, it
depicts life in the early 40's in a small Maine
town. Gorgeously filmed in Technicolor, it's
a piece of America that's long gone. Nominated
for 9 Academy Awards. It was shocking in 1957,
seems silly today that sex would be that big an
issue. I read the book in HS and it was steamy
at the time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 25th, 2014 at 11:25:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: boymimbo
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy a couple of days ago.
Chris Pratt was rightly cast as the lead in this movie, and I really had my doubts if he would do any good, but he sold me on the character and the fact that he can actually act decently.

How was Karen Gillan (aka Amy Pond) in this film? She may be the first Dr Who companion to became an American boxoffice superstar.
August 26th, 2014 at 4:36:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Greasyjohn
Just saw Life Of Pi. ... But the film is more like Disney than real life. ... And there are many examples where the special effects are not believable ...This is really a children's movie.

I totally bought in to the ending, where Pi has to explain his story to the Japanese investigators. Clearly to me the real story is the second story he sadly reveals. For a lark, I guess, the investigators choose the first story, it seemed to be a statement that for the consumption of the general public, a fairy tale is best. Perhaps the author/producers really believe that. It's cynical, and that bothered me a little. Clearly everyone knows the second story is the more probable story [it too could have been cooked up] but fairy tales are 'nicer'.

from Wikipedia: Pi then offers them a second story in which he is adrift on a lifeboat not with zoo animals, but with the ship's cook, a Taiwanese sailor with a broken leg, and his own mother. The cook amputates the sailor's leg for use as fishing bait, then kills the sailor and Pi's mother for food. Pi then kills the cook and dines on him.

The officials note parallels between the two stories and conclude that the hyena symbolizes the cook, the zebra the sailor, the orangutan Pi's mother, and the tiger Pi. Pi points out that neither story can be proven and neither explains the cause of the shipwreck. He asks the officials which story they prefer. They choose the story with the animals. Pi thanks them and says "And so it goes with God."
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 26th, 2014 at 10:51:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Comments on Guardians of the Galaxy

1) The Marvel characters most people are familiar with were all created in the 1960's. Wolverine was created in 1974, but has entered the pantheon as a major character. The characters in this movie were mostly created in the 70's-90's.
2) There are a lot of characters. Unless you've been reading comic books for the last few decades, a list of characters wouldn't hurt. I might actually go so far as to say, that there are no real spoilers in this movie. It wouldn't matter if you read a detailed summary as their are no real plot twists.
3) It is amusing, but not actually funny. As sometimes super hero movies fail to be even amusing I was pretty pleased.
4) When watching the movie, I felt as if I would rather be watching Captain America, with it's personable characters and straightforward story.
5) Nothing really worth seeing in a movie theater. You could wait for it to be on Netflix and watch it with a giant cheat sheet.
6) Surprising number of famous actors had parts that could be played by a computer graphic image rather than an actor. Among them was Glen Close and James Brolin

I fell asleep in one battle scene.
August 29th, 2014 at 4:42:16 AM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
How was Karen Gillan (aka Amy Pond) in this film? She may be the first Dr Who companion to became an American boxoffice superstar.
I'm not sure about that. Her new TV show "Selfie" looks pretty terrible.
August 29th, 2014 at 5:48:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: theodores
I'm not sure about that. Her new TV show "Selfie" looks pretty terrible.

The assumption is that show will be cancelled.

Sophie Winkleman married the son of a British Prince, Lord Freddie, and immediately moved to America to star in a TV series which was cancelled after a few episodes. But she got a running gig on "Two and a Half Men" that lasted 17 episodes. She is now producing a royal baby.

So Karen Gillan may have to pay the price of being on a cancelled TV sitcom. But the movie will give her some exposure, and she is very young.

But none of the other Dr Who companions have made it anywhere in American TV or movies. So Karen Gillan is already in the lead.

Scottish men have in general done much better. Examples include Sean Connery, David McCallum, Craig Ferguson, Gerard Butler, James McAvoy, Ewan McGregor,Billy Boyd, Robert Carlyle, Robbie Coltrane, and Alan Cumming.
August 29th, 2014 at 2:54:26 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin

She's unrecognisable in the film. I had no idea who was playing her role until the end.

I loved it. It was stupid Hollywood action film, but with none of the rubbishy fan-boy baggage all the super hero films have. I look forward to the sequel.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 29th, 2014 at 4:13:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit
She's unrecognisable in the film. I had no idea who was playing her role until the end.

She showed her bald head at comic-con.

Three of the last four female companions

Jeann Louise Coleman is more of the pretty girl next door.