Yup...

Page 2 of 3<123>
February 22nd, 2014 at 5:52:35 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: beachbumbabs

I bet by the end of the week, two things happen:

1. People start shaping up and traffic moves faster.
2. The other parents vote you Father of the Year.

Sadly, they already have a PAID traffic/security guard!!!
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 23rd, 2014 at 7:29:41 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Mission146
What do you mean? PT Cruisers are super ultra-cool looking! It has absolutely no power, doesn't handle terribly well and the gas mileage sucks, but it looks great! Actually, the gas mileage isn't as bad as EPA estimates, I get about 25 mpg, combined.

I just wish I had bought it new, then I could have justified the extra expense of whitewalls. It's silver, so it would look awesome with whitewalls.

Head/desk. Oh dearie me.

Quote:

We're going to play a game that I like to call "No," at this time, would you like an explanation of the rules?

Face... there's no cure. :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 23rd, 2014 at 9:30:08 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit
Head/desk. Oh dearie me.

Face... there's no cure. :)

You may be right, but it doesn't hurt to try. I almost feel obligated to try ;)

Mission, I wasn't insinuating I was going to scare you straight. To be honest, with an E-body, it shouldn't be necessary. I just want you to look at it. Walk around it and give it a once over. Let your eyes follow its lines and its curves, maybe run your hand along them. Take it in.

Open the door and get in. Feel the heft and the deep thunk of a big, steel door shutting. Inhale the 40 year old vinyl. Gaze upon the interior.

I'll start it up. Listen to the rumble as it comes to life. Hear it. Feel it. Feel it jump as I put it into gear, and feel it lurch with every thud of a piston firing as it begins to move.

And we'll just go around the block. Just a nice and easy 30mph jaunt through down town. No peeling out. No jackrabbit starts. No 10 second quarter mile run. We'll just mosey.

Maybe you've been doing it right all along. I know I grew up in a Cuda and I've spent tens of thousands of dollars chasing that high. Maybe being free of that urge is better off in the long run.

But life is abut experiences. And this is one you absolutely must have.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 23rd, 2014 at 9:55:32 AM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
Face, I need a cure. I drive a 2007 Ford Focus:

It pretty much looks like a vagina.
February 23rd, 2014 at 10:00:29 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: theodores

You'd make a terrible gynecologist, then.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 23rd, 2014 at 2:38:14 PM permalink
Face

XD

Get this man 440ci of Detroit, stat!

I don't have the passionate hatred of American cars post '00 or so that I do for the 80's and 90's. Granted, I still believe they are soulless and completely lacking of passion, but at the very least, they have raised the level of quality.

You'll still have your soft spots, like Dodge transmission and rust issues, or the Fusion's AWD issues, but overall, I'd say there's been a vast improvement. Your Focus is very much forgettable, but at least it serves its purpose of a cheap, utilitarian vehicle.

A comparable model Honda is still leaps and bounds above it in any measurable capacity, but at least the choice is now arguable.
February 23rd, 2014 at 2:50:17 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Face

Mission, I wasn't insinuating I was going to scare you straight. To be honest, with an E-body, it shouldn't be necessary. I just want you to look at it. Walk around it and give it a once over. Let your eyes follow its lines and its curves, maybe run your hand along them. Take it in.

Open the door and get in. Feel the heft and the deep thunk of a big, steel door shutting. Inhale the 40 year old vinyl. Gaze upon the interior.

I'll start it up. Listen to the rumble as it comes to life. Hear it. Feel it. Feel it jump as I put it into gear, and feel it lurch with every thud of a piston firing as it begins to move.

I can admire it for its beauty, but the power is almost meaningless to me. To be honest with you, I can't even drive a stick!

Quote:
Maybe you've been doing it right all along. I know I grew up in a Cuda and I've spent tens of thousands of dollars chasing that high. Maybe being free of that urge is better off in the long run.

I think so, it's a huge money saver.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:48:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why do you drive your kids to school, doesn't your school
district have buses? If you have buses available, then
you have no room to complain. You're lumped in with
all the over protective parents who are terrified of
Jimmie and Joanie ever seeing real world without
their parents holding their hands the whole time.

If you have no buses, I'd move to a district that does.
Life is too short to be a chauffeur for kids for 15 years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 24th, 2014 at 2:11:48 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6

Quote: TheCesspit
You'd make a terrible gynecologist, then.

OMG. That hurt, both of you! (laughing that hard, not "Dr. Snatch at your cervix" cold speculum pain...)
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 24th, 2014 at 6:05:21 AM permalink
Face
Quote: Mission146

I can admire it for its beauty, but the power is almost meaningless to me. To be honest with you, I can't even drive a stick!

I am aware, which is why I offered to just mosey. Really, power isn't the only draw for these things.

It's like with any other thing, there are levels to it. If you're a wine drinker and really enjoy it, you can totally get away with your wine-in-a-box or a random $10 bottle from your local grocer. But if someone offers you a taste of Renato Ratti 2006 Marcenasco, as a wine drinker, you should absolutely try it. You may not want to start buying it, but if you like wine, you should experience the best. Same with cigars, or Italian dishes, or anything whatsoever. I enjoy a random round of golf, usually shooting a 105ish. I'm certainly not serious about it, and my deciding factor on courses is which one I can get into for under $30. But while I'm fine with my backwoods course and my $170 set of clubs, if offered a free round at Pebble Beach with a brand new set of Callaways, I'd jump on it, just for the experience.

It's the same with this. Just like a finely crafted bottle of wine, there are hints and tones in these old cars that you never knew you were missing. It doesn't mean you need to buy one, and you sure don't have to "drink the whole bottle". But if offered a taste, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not sample it ;)
Page 2 of 3<123>