Go Canada....

Page 1 of 41234>
February 20th, 2014 at 12:29:02 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Very pleased to see the Canadian Ladies beat the US team in the ice hockey... I must be getting indoctrinated here, as it was down tools and watch the game. Also pleased that the British ref didn't blow a call to cost the game to Canada... I'd have had to go hole up somewhere for the week until it all blew over :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 20th, 2014 at 1:32:50 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I was in a room with a bunch of my US work folk when Canada tied the game and then won in overtime down here (watching CBC over illegal Canadian VPN) in East Rutherford (I can see Giants stadium from my window!). The Americans in the room didn't care.

When I also commented that the Canadian women won Curling go, the response from a couple of people in the room was "what's curling".

Now the men have to take care of business tomorrow. Somehow I think the result will be different.
February 20th, 2014 at 1:35:03 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: boymimbo
I was in a room with a bunch of my US work folk when Canada tied the game and then won in overtime down here (watching CBC over illegal Canadian VPN) in East Rutherford (I can see Giants stadium from my window!). The Americans in the room didn't care.

When I also commented that the Canadian women won Curling go, the response from a couple of people in the room was "what's curling".

Now the men have to take care of business tomorrow. Somehow I think the result will be different.

This IS the Olympics up here... the Summer Olympics are an also ran... very different in the UK where winter olympics is the oddball, and the Summer the be-all and end-all.

Shrug... some people are happy with just Major League sports (if at all). I was brought up on a diet of ever changing sports on BBC's Grandstand. Ah, such wonderful days.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 20th, 2014 at 1:38:43 PM permalink
boymimbo
Yeah, I was disappointed when I was told last week that I needed to be down here for three days. When we come home, there will be about 60 hours of Olympic coverage that we will need to catch up on, but I had to watch most of that gold medal match today.
February 20th, 2014 at 1:56:33 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: boymimbo
Yeah, I was disappointed when I was told last week that I needed to be down here for three days. When we come home, there will be about 60 hours of Olympic coverage that we will need to catch up on, but I had to watch most of that gold medal match today.

I am hoping we can needle Face tomorrow... though not sure he cares about Olympic hockey. I mean, he supports the Leafs. Maybe he is secretly Ontarian?
February 20th, 2014 at 2:18:21 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit
I am hoping we can needle Face tomorrow... though not sure he cares about Olympic hockey. I mean, he supports the Leafs. Maybe he is secretly Ontarian?

It would be impossible to needle me about Olympic hockey. My love is American hockey. Canada, US, it doesn't matter, the American style is what I love. At age 4, my favorite team was the Nordiques. At about 8, my favorite were the Canadiens. Since '92ish, it's been the Leafs.

If USA wins, it'll likely be off the sticks of Kessel and van Riemsdyk, both Leafs. If Canada wins, it's the home of my favorite sports, sports teams, and a place I very much enjoy. There is no way for me to be disappointed.

But that's an obvious "no" on being Ontarian. I have too many guns and boymimbo would report me ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 20th, 2014 at 2:38:29 PM permalink
boymimbo
I've already reported you to the CBSA. My next door neighbor runs the Rainbow Bridge for Canada Customs, so watch out!!!

Ditch the guns already ;)
February 20th, 2014 at 3:09:22 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Face
It would be impossible to needle me about Olympic hockey. My love is American hockey. Canada, US, it doesn't matter, the American style is what I love. At age 4, my favorite team was the Nordiques. At about 8, my favorite were the Canadiens. Since '92ish, it's been the Leafs.

If USA wins, it'll likely be off the sticks of Kessel and van Riemsdyk, both Leafs. If Canada wins, it's the home of my favorite sports, sports teams, and a place I very much enjoy. There is no way for me to be disappointed.

But that's an obvious "no" on being Ontarian. I have too many guns and boymimbo would report me ;)

You sadden me, Face, as the only person I could possibly rag on, I know no other US citizens who are mad hockey fans :) It's like finding Australians who didn't upset about losing the Ashes in the cricket. :)
February 20th, 2014 at 3:17:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
This IS the Olympics up here... the Summer Olympics are an also ran... very different in the UK where winter olympics is the oddball, and the Summer the be-all and end-all.

Of the three major countries participating in the winter olympics, Canada sends almost as many athletes as it did to the 2012 summer olympics.

Country Winter| Summer athletes
United States 230|530
Russia 226|436
Canada 221|281
Almost one in four of the Winter Olympic athletes are from these three countries.

Norway, Finland, Austria, and Switzerland actually sent more athletes to the Winter Olympics than to the Summer Olympics.

If you consider that there are more people in California than Canada, it is pretty remarkable that they can field such an incredible team. But I am beginning to think that just having a large number of people to choose from, is not as important as one would think.

The most impressive achievement has been Netherlands in speed skating. It is difficult to believe how one country could be so dominant.
February 20th, 2014 at 7:12:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

If you consider that there are more people in California than Canada, it is pretty remarkable that they can field such an incredible team. But I am beginning to think that just having a large number of people to choose from, is not as important as one would think.

I think it was in the mid 1980s that like 98% of the NHL were Canadians. That boggles the mind.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 41234>