What do you consider yourself an expert on?

Page 1 of 41234>
February 17th, 2014 at 6:55:07 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
As AZDuffman said, it might be interesting to known what areas the people here consider themselves to be true, deep knowledge experts on. The sort of knowledge that means you can give non-trivial answers to what maybe trivial questions. And what they have something more than a duffers knowledge off.

Depth

Software development, software quality assurance and testing.
Boardgames

A little bit of depth

History (Military, mostly, looking at the strategic and political, not the tactical and the weaponry)
Political systems and theory

I am also relatively adept at researching stuff out of obscure places, and not so obscure places. You may claim I am full of BS. That's your opinion :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 18th, 2014 at 12:09:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm not an expert on anything, I'm not that vain. I'm a
constant learner, I leave the expertise to those who
want to be important.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 18th, 2014 at 2:41:36 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
My specialties are bull****ting and making it up as I go along.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 18th, 2014 at 3:05:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
When I brought the idea up I was thinking mainly things we did for a living or had formal training in. So in the spirit of that:

Pest Control and management: 7 years managing a pest control company and the people and vehicles under me

Banking: 5+ years in mortgages, auto loans, and other areas of lending, Mostly processing and junior underewriting, meaning I could decline but not approve

Real Estate Title: 5+ years of working all sorts of titles including preparing final paperwork and being sure liens are cleared.

Gas and Oil Title: still only about 2 years here, but that 2 is worth 5 when I am back in mortgage titles. Most fun job I ever had.
The President is a fink.
February 18th, 2014 at 6:41:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Telemarketing Management, Hotel Management, some aspects of Retail Grocery Management.

Mostly the Telemarketing (Three Years) and Hotels (Seven Years)
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 18th, 2014 at 7:30:27 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: AZDuffman
When I brought the idea up I was thinking mainly things we did for a living or had formal training in. So in the spirit of that:

To be fair, you can gain a level of expertise in an area without any training or doing it for a living, if you've spent a long time doing it in your personal time. Kinda hard to get to, mind. I can see some people having a huge body of knowledge and expertise as an amateur.

I don't claim any such thing, mind.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 18th, 2014 at 7:41:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I am the world's foremost expert on myself. You will never find anyone who knows as much as 1% of what I know about me. And what I do not know it's not worth knowing.

On other matters, I am an expert on Asimov's original novel-length and novella-length fiction, and to a lesser degree in his short fiction (I may not have read all his short stories). I've a glaring hole in part two of "Foundation and Empire," because for some reason the Good Dcotor went dull and narrative on me. But aside from that I know all there is to know.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 18th, 2014 at 7:49:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
To be fair, you can gain a level of expertise in an area without any training or doing it for a living, if you've spent a long time doing it in your personal time. Kinda hard to get to, mind. I can see some people having a huge body of knowledge and expertise as an amateur.

I don't claim any such thing, mind.

I agree, but that is another list.
The President is a fink.
February 18th, 2014 at 9:14:53 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit
As AZDuffman said, it might be interesting to known what areas the people here consider themselves to be true, deep knowledge experts on. The sort of knowledge that means you can give non-trivial answers to what maybe trivial questions. And what they have something more than a duffers knowledge off.

Depth

Software development, software quality assurance and testing.
Boardgames

A little bit of depth

History (Military, mostly, looking at the strategic and political, not the tactical and the weaponry)
Political systems and theory

I am also relatively adept at researching stuff out of obscure places, and not so obscure places. You may claim I am full of BS. That's your opinion :)

I'll preface this by saying that at my age, I cannot be an "expert" at anything. For the purpose of this thread, I will define "expert" and the following titles as compared to the average member ;)

Master:

Fishing - Freshwater - Northeast US
Wildlife - Habits, habitats, identification and tracking, biology - Northeast US
Guns - Types, uses, proper handling and maintenance, mostly WWII through Vietnam era rifles and modern self defense weaponry.
Driving - High performance, extreme conditions, car/truck/atv/motorcycle, trailer and loads, REAR WHEEL DRIVE ONLY!! ;)

Journeyman:

Auto mechanic - Basic systems maintenance, diagnostics, repair, rebuilds, race prep
Carpentry - Mostly finish work such as roofing/siding.
Wilderness Survival - Food sources, fire and shelter, dangers - Northeast US
Sports - Competition, psychology, the human element. (Speaking from the PoV of a competitor, not as a fan of Pro sports.)
Interpersonal Relationships - Self explanatory
Written Word - Self explanatory

Apprentice:

Welding - 220v stick or 220v CO2Ar MIG
Carpentry - Framing, building structures
Home Electric - Installation and wiring, external systems
Psychology - Mostly addiction/dependancy, reward sensor issues
The Amish - Beliefs, lifestyle, and customs
General Geology/Biology/Chemistry

Drooling Idiot:

Any math beyond addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division
Anything to do with finances, period (taxes, insurance, savings, bonds, stocks, retirement, etc)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 18th, 2014 at 9:18:36 AM permalink
TheCesspit
REAR WHEEL DRIVE ONLY!! - Too right. RWD is much more fun. Even if my poncy German Bimmers with Automatic Transmission aren't quite what you mean.
Page 1 of 41234>