The GoPro Thread

January 27th, 2014 at 8:40:40 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard
Face, I admire your courage to go driving in that. When I lived in Baltimore, I just stayed off the roads until they were nice and plowed.

Thanks =) But I wouldn't call it "courage".

Snow is a given here. Not being prepared to cope with it is about as dumb as not having a tornado shelter in Oklahoma. Why would one endanger themselves by not being ready?

Even since I was old enough to drive, I've hit the road when it got nasty. I think I've said before that my first ever driving experience was during the Blizzard of '97, where Pops put me behind the wheel for 30+ miles on the interstate, which had been shut down due to a driving ban. No plows, no visibility, and no experience. He thought it was a good idea, and he was right. Snow happens, and it's best to be able to deal with it when it does. Emergencies don't happen often, but I'll be damned if I or a loved one is caught in one without assistance just because it snowing out. So I hit the road, every year, every time it's nasty out. And no matter where or when, how far or how bad, I'll get to wherever I need to go, guaranteed.

Why aren't you using chains? On the road to Mount Charleston they "recommend" chains if there is the least bit of snow on the road, and require them for less than half of what I see in your video.

No one uses chains around here. I don't know a single person that even owns them (other than for snow blowers or tractors). I suppose if one had, I dunno, a tiny Honda CRX and lived in the hills, they might be necessary. But I'd also bet someone like that would opt to stay home and not go out, period.

I imagine part of the reason is the properties of the snow bands. When they come in off the lake, it's just like a belt. Intense, but thin. I could be getting pounded just like I was in the video with 8"-12" on the road and low visibility, but 40 minutes north up where SOOPOO lives, or 40 minutes south where I work (which is about how far we have to drive to get anywhere, as there is nothing out here in the country), it could be sunshine and dry roads. Chains on bare roads is bad news. Besides the damage to the roads and the chains, it kills the grip of your tires. Plus, I'm pretty sure chains are rated to 30mph max. As I was doing 45-60 easy in the video, I've no reason to cripple myself like that.

Other than that, I just don't think they're necessary. I only have semi worn all season tires on my rig, but as you saw, I've no problem getting up and going. Most people are likewise prepared with snow tires and added weight as necessary. Chains to me are a serious scenario type device. Say, up in the wild mountains, where a crippled vehicle will shut down the entire road, or getting stuck could mean your life. If I were to have ditched it in my vid, I could just walk to the nearest farm and hire a farmer's tractor, or call any number of friends with large 4x4's, or called my local mechanic with his flatbed, and been home within the hour.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 27th, 2014 at 11:47:58 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
Quote: Face
Well, if I go just up the road to the top of the hill, I can see Canada. To us, it's more like just another town than an entirely different country.

As I understand it, most of the motivation for the British North America Act of 1867 came from the United Kingdom. Britain's parliament felt that the newly reunified USA would eventually expand into the entire Northern America as long as they were confronted with British colonies. But the USA would respect the boundaries of an independent country.

The 1844 Democratic presidential candidate James K. Polk ran on a platform of taking control over the entire Oregon Territory and used the famous campaign slogan, "Fifty-four Forty or Fight!" (after the line of latitude serving as the northern boundary of Oregon at 54°40'). Polk's plan was to claim and go to war over the entire territory for the United States.

Given the US territorial expansion of the 1890's (into Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam and the Phillipines), the British parliament was probably not wrong.

There's still disputes over some of the ocean borders between Canada and the US. But if the US wants another Pig War :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 28th, 2014 at 9:42:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
No one uses chains around here. I don't know a single person that even owns them (other than for snow blowers or tractors).
California rates conditions as follows.

R-1: Chains or snow tread tires required. Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32" with a "M & S" imprint on the tire's sidewall.
R-2: Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives or all-wheel drives with snow tread tires on all four wheels.
R-3: Chains required - ALL VEHICLES- no exceptions
R-1 and R-2 are the most common chain controls. The highway will often be closed before an R-3 control is imposed.

So your opinion is ignored in many states.
January 28th, 2014 at 10:37:46 AM permalink
Face
So your opinion on the usefulness of chains is ignored.

The governement often does, and I respond in kind ;)

Any I dea what "R-1" etc means? Are there certains depths, visibility parameters or whatnot? I tried looking and couldn't find anything.

I can't say I've every listened to stuff like this. I take it into consideration and use it as info so as to be prepared, but I prefer being the judge. Some may cry that despite my "responsibility of self" that I'll put others in danger and use gov resources if it goes wrong, for rescue missions and such. But that hasn't happened yet, and I say if it does, A) I pay for those services, and B) I'm giving them job security.

Thank you, and you're welcome =)
January 28th, 2014 at 8:07:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
but I prefer being the judge...

Probably best you live where you are, rather than in California.

The manuals don't specify, since they prefer that the authorities make the judgement call.

Snow and Ice chapter
January 29th, 2014 at 9:58:17 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I just added a video for the Pittman Wash Trail. Again, classical music to avoid music infringement strikes.

One Brownie point to whoever can name the music.

I will say that it sounds an awful lot like Mozart's The Magic Flute about 1 minute in, so I'll guess it's the overture. (I never pay attention to overtures; bad girl).

I think you may see more of me over here. Nearly all of my favorite posters are active on here, and I didn't realize it. Since I'm guilty of many off-topic posts, I may well spend more time on this side of the house.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 29th, 2014 at 10:00:09 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
The governement often does, and I respond in kind ;)

Any I dea what "R-1" etc means? Are there certains depths, visibility parameters or whatnot? I tried looking and couldn't find anything.

I can't say I've every listened to stuff like this. I take it into consideration and use it as info so as to be prepared, but I prefer being the judge. Some may cry that despite my "responsibility of self" that I'll put others in danger and use gov resources if it goes wrong, for rescue missions and such. But that hasn't happened yet, and I say if it does, A) I pay for those services, and B) I'm giving them job security.

Thank you, and you're welcome =)

I grew up and learned to drive in Minnesota and Iowa; we used stud tires, but I never owned chains until I moved to Washington State. There, it's worth having them and knowing how to use them; I loved driving the mountains in winter once I figured them out.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 29th, 2014 at 11:23:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
It was always a mystery to me: Where snow tires worth the extra money, particularly when politicians would often erect signs that required chains in what seemed to be an excess of precaution. Chain up areas appeared and so did five dollar a car personnel to do it for you.

If freeways were blocked by snow/ice, cars still had to exit though and could not park on the freeway awaiting a plow.

I remember one young woman being interviewed on TV: a tiny avalanche in Snoqualamie had taken the car ahead of her off the road, but her much heavier car loaned to her that day by a new neighbor stayed on the road.
January 30th, 2014 at 10:27:36 AM permalink
Face
Probably best you live where you are,...

I suspect that is the first, and also the last, time anyone has ever uttered that opinion. "It's best I live in NY". Oh, Paco, you're such a kidder ;)

Quote: beachbumbabs
I think you may see more of me over here. Nearly all of my favorite posters are active on here, and I didn't realize it. Since I'm guilty of many off-topic posts, I may well spend more time on this side of the house.

Yay!

Quote: Fleastiff
It was always a mystery to me: Where snow tires worth the extra money, particularly when politicians would often erect signs that required chains in what seemed to be an excess of precaution. Chain up areas appeared and so did five dollar a car personnel to do it for you.

Snow tires are definitely worth the money on their own, however, I don't really get it if they mandate chains anyways. I suspect snow and chain works better than race slicks and chain, but... I dunno. The gov reminds me of the neurotic mom, who not only slathers her child with SPF 100, but also erects an umbrella on his head, only let's him play under trees, and only for 30 minutes.

I've never been an anarchist, but I suspect a week of living in California could convert me.
January 31st, 2014 at 4:31:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I've never been an anarchist, but I suspect a week of living in California could convert me.
Have you spent much time with anarchists. They are often the most rule abiding types! They often engage in Train Hopping but from the Catching Out yard to the end of their journey its the anarchists who obey the rules. The anarchists have water and a jacket, they keep out of sight so as not to endanger the other members of the group who are riding the same train. Its always the Communists and bums who violate rules and endanger riders or break into cars.

On a sailboat, particularly when things go wrong its the anarchists who usually know what to do and start giving orders and obeying them instantly. All the peace and freedom hippies are the ones arguing or asking questions or joking around.

Anarchists may not have much respect for private property in that they often squat in homes and abandoned buildings but they don't damage them unnecessarily or unwisely. And one anarchist who made a series of mistakes and came close to drowning in SF bay analyzed his situation well, took all the blame he deserved for his lapses in judgement, acknowledged his being fortunate in some passing tugboat rescuing him from being so cold a digital thermometer at the ER would not even register his temperature.

I'm more a Libertarian but the solid black flag of Anarchy should not be feared.