Cooking thread

March 3rd, 2013 at 5:44:33 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: theodores
Quote: Mosca
The difference: Jacques Pepin on omelets
That video is fairly ridiculous. How are you supposed to get in your shredded Kraft cheese, diced ham, onions, and green peppers? Uppity French nonsense . . . :-)

Hehe... bigger pan, eggs will spread out thinner. Or, bigger pan and add a couple more eggs!
March 3rd, 2013 at 6:20:32 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
So tomorrow, an omelet. I searched for some combination of ingredients, and it looks like:

Omelets are very forgiving. Just combine what you like.

Today I made one with 1 egg, two egg whites (or so), mushrooms, sausage, bell pepper, onion and green salsa.

BTW, I've been cooking, but I've been too tired to post to the blog. Expect sometime next week(end) recipes for:

Cebollitas
Yogurt Berry Bake
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Potatoes in Creamy Paprika and Garlic Sauce
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 11th, 2013 at 8:26:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Again, recipes are forthcoming...

I had to work over the weekend. Not long, but I had to be at the office Saturday and Sunday a few hours. Then Sunday I cooked three dishes, and I had to choose a hard one among them to boot... So I was to tired to resize photos, dredge my memory for recipes and posting.

On the plus side, I finally perfected the potato recipe. The trick is to boil the potatoes, then put them in the oven with the sauce, bacon, chives and cheese.
March 14th, 2013 at 6:39:55 PM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Nareed
Omelets are very forgiving. Just combine what you like.

Today I made one with 1 egg, two egg whites (or so), mushrooms, sausage, bell pepper, onion and green salsa.

Yes and no. There is a wide range within which an omelet is excellent. But there is also, within that wide range, a very narrow window within which an omelet is outstanding. I only hit it about one in five. But when I hit it, I know it.

I've settled recently on using gouda cheese and adding to the eggs a small pinch of dried fines herbes, a small pinch of salt, and a dash of pepper. Sunday's was outstanding, this morning's was okay. I'll never be a chef!
March 16th, 2013 at 9:50:01 PM permalink
Nareed
New recipe. Berry Yogurt bake:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2013/03/berry-yogurt-bake.html

Today I experimented with hot dogs. I saw hot dog buns at the store, I had sausages at home, so why not? BTW in Mexico "hot dog" means a sausage in a bun with at least some kind of dressing. Anyway, I had great success sauteing some onions with left-over sauce from the creamy chipotle chicken recipe (http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2013/02/chicken-cutlets-with-chipotle-and.html) to sprinkle on top. also, if you cut the sausages in half length-wise and then cook them, they'll stay put inside the bun a lot better.

Tomorrow I'll try something else...
March 17th, 2013 at 11:10:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Yes and no. There is a wide range within which an omelet is excellent. But there is also, within that wide range, a very narrow window within which an omelet is outstanding. I only hit it about one in five. But when I hit it, I know it.

Fair enough. To me an omelet is just breakfast, and I don't take breakfast seriously. Evidently we differ on this matter.

BTW any idea what to make with pancake mix, besides pancakes? I'm thinking about crepes...
March 17th, 2013 at 7:17:19 PM permalink
Mosca
Fair enough. To me an omelet is just breakfast, and I don't take breakfast seriously. Evidently we differ on this matter.
BTW any idea what to make with pancake mix, besides pancakes? I'm thinking about crepes...

And fair enough in return! I enjoy your insight into your process, the way you explain your choices.

I'm off on Thursdays and Sundays, and I only eat two meals those days; for the first, I have an omelet. Sometimes I try to make the most perfect classic French omelet (as per the video) that I can. Most days I make a country omelet.

And sometimes I experiment with different techniques and ingredients. As a veteran of many breakfast buffet omelet stations, I've watched cooks mix ingredients into the eggs, I've watched them saute the filling and pour the eggs around them, I've watched them let the eggs harden, then put the cheese on and flip the whole thing... no one seems to do it the same as the next.

I've made pizza omelets, polish omelets, veggie, taco, Greek, barbeque... most of those haven't been good, but the pizza omelet is pretty damn good.

Pancake batter makes a nice topping for meat pies, or a coating for deep fried foods. I don't deep fry foods, personally. If you use soda water instead of water, it makes a light tempura batter. I've never made crepes, but I think if you thin it out a little it makes a nice crepe.
March 25th, 2013 at 6:11:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Helpful hint: clean under your fingernails the moment you're done shaping the ground beef for meatloaf (or wear latex gloves when doing so).
March 28th, 2013 at 3:15:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
clean under your fingernails .
Speaking of extra, added ingredients...
March 29th, 2013 at 10:39:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Last weekend I did meatloaf again:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/10/juicy-meatloaf.html

Only this time I mixed about half a kilo of ground beef with half a kilo of textured soy. It's almost exactly the same.

I wanted to do burgers, too, but lacked the time. So yesterday I took some meatloaf and tried to amke a burger with it. The result wasn't great.

This morning, though, I did a breakfast sandwich thus:

One egg scrambled with two strips of turkey bacon, topped with sauteed onions and mushrooms. Cooked a long time, until the onions turn really soft and the mushrooms go brown. All on a sesame burger bun, lightly toasted. With mustard on the top part of the bun, ketchup and fresh ground pepper on top of the egg topped with onions and mushrooms.

Very simple (for me it's very simple anyway) and quite tasty.

On the downside, I've no idea what to cook this weekend.