Cooking thread

September 17th, 2016 at 5:16:43 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
I make a great Rhode Island chowder. Actually I make great chowder of every variety.
September 19th, 2016 at 4:26:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Everytime I use the blender for nuts it leaves so much of the nut on the blender and if I pour it into a drinking cup full of milk, alot sticks to the cup... how do I go about blenderizing enough so that it flows instead of oozes out of the blender???
Can you add the milk to the blender before the nuts and then mix?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 19th, 2016 at 7:38:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
I've tried that and it does seem to work a bit better, but what I am trying to do is to turn almonds into almond milk and then use that to dilute the other nuts. Six miles each way is too much for me to go get cows milk at a grocery store.
September 20th, 2016 at 8:50:49 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: pew
I make a great Rhode Island chowder. Actually I make great chowder of every variety.

I had never heard of Rhode Island chowder until I just Googled it. I don't understand you people. Why would anyone want to ruin a chowder by removing the cream?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 20th, 2016 at 8:56:04 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

My wife buys the cartons of Silk Almond. I was surprised to learn that there was no "milk" or dairy in it. It is basically almond water. I like the sweetened versions but am not a fan of the unsweetened.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 20th, 2016 at 9:04:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

A blender isn't the right tool for processing solids. I learned that on my first attempt to make humus. You need a food processor, or something else with a wide, short container and a blade that sweeps almost the whole bottom of the container. A blender's jar is too tall and narrow. It's great with liquids and semiliquid foods (like cooked tomatoes, some cheeses, yogurt, etc.), but solids tend not to flow down into the vortex created by the blades.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 20th, 2016 at 10:47:22 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I'll keep my eyes peeled at The Sally; no luck at Goodwill at all.
Spent my savings on renewal of AmazonPrime, but can't afford to order anything yet.

What goes well with Mung Beans? I tried to drown them in spaghetti sauce but it didn't work too well.
September 20th, 2016 at 11:43:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: DRich
My wife buys the cartons of Silk Almond. I was surprised to learn that there was no "milk" or dairy in it. It is basically almond water. I like the sweetened versions but am not a fan of the unsweetened.

Prior to refrigeration and dairy cooperatives, hazelnut milk and almond milk is what was most available. And its true, no "milk" in it at all. Just as no butter in almond butter or peanut butter.

Soy milk started selling well, so next was almond milk and cashew milk and coconut milk. Almond milk sold commercially is sugar laden, very little sugar if you look at Middle Ages or Colonial recipes.
September 20th, 2016 at 1:57:35 PM permalink
pew
Quote: Fleastiff
I'll keep my eyes peeled at The Sally; no luck at Goodwill at all.
Spent my savings on renewal of AmazonPrime, but can't afford to order anything yet.

What goes well with Mung Beans? I tried to drown them in spaghetti sauce but it didn't work too well.
Sprout dem beans.
September 20th, 2016 at 2:03:44 PM permalink
pew
Quote: DRich
I had never heard of Rhode Island chowder until I just Googled it. I don't understand you people. Why would anyone want to ruin a chowder by removing the cream?
It may sound weird but don't knock it till you've tried it. Since it is the pure nectar to start with you can always dress it up later any way you like with cream, tomatoes or both.