Random Thought of the Day

June 9th, 2015 at 9:12:10 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Add your own caption

~

from here

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/06/09/a-new-database-of-wildlife-photos-from-the-serengeti-is-an-internet-rabbit-hole-of-baby-animals/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 9th, 2015 at 11:19:18 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine

Do you think my ears are too big dear?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 9th, 2015 at 11:30:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Maybe you need roller skates. ( or blades)

Imagine how much weight I'd lose if only I could tow my car 400 meters about three times per month! ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 9th, 2015 at 2:04:33 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Question of the day: would Face pick it up?

This is the video I saw...

When I first saw it, I bought a first class ticket to NOPEsville on the Nof$%^ingway train. That is damn freaky. But it's obviously harmless, at least this version. I guess some of them with the extendable proboscis (like in your video) have a venomous spine on the end for spearing prey.

Either way, harmless or no... probably not. I don't like ocean stuff =/
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 10th, 2015 at 12:21:40 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
How do you "fwap" a paper? It seems to be a skill known only by old men. They just read along and "FWAP!" the paper is inside out and they can read one page folded instead of holding the giant thing open.

I need both hands and one foot to fold the damned thing properly =/
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 10th, 2015 at 1:11:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
I need both hands and one foot to fold the damned thing properly =/

Have you tried using a tiny cell phone that will ruin your eyes, or a tablet which will just strain your vision and bombard you with ads, rather than relying on outdated, stone-age technology? ;)
June 10th, 2015 at 1:36:37 PM permalink
Nareed
It's not unusual for me to dream up parts of stories, sometimes with dialogue. last night, though, I dreamt just this line:

"I hope you will die before I do, so you won't have to suffer my loss."

This seems more appropriate if the character, whoever he or she is, thinks it rather than says it aloud. The character is not wishing their spouse dead, but rather recognizing we all die, and there may be a preferred order in which to pass away.

Any thoughts?
June 10th, 2015 at 1:50:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed

Any thoughts?

It's a good opening line for a story as it catches your attention right away. Plus you can keep the reader drawn for a minimum of few paragraphs or longer as the meaning behind it needs explanation in some way.

Or it could take a whole novel to explain the meaning of the first sentence -- it would work for that as well.

As the reader finishes the last chapter, the loss is finally made clear.

As to vocalizing or thought, guess it depends on how you plan to use it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2015 at 2:28:24 PM permalink
Nareed
You have some interesting ideas. I'll give the matter some thought.

As to vocalizing or thought, guess it depends on how you plan to use it.

I've no idea who says it or why. I just dreamt the line.

Currently I'm working on "Ours." Part of the story involves a young widow, Marina, and a married couple who can be described as being related to her. Either spouse might say or think this at some point.
June 10th, 2015 at 5:19:14 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Nareed
It's not unusual for me to dream up parts of stories, sometimes with dialogue. last night, though, I dreamt just this line:

This seems more appropriate if the character, whoever he or she is, thinks it rather than says it aloud. The character is not wishing their spouse dead, but rather recognizing we all die, and there may be a preferred order in which to pass away.

Any thoughts?

That line is very similar to something have told friends that are grieving the loss of a parent. Your parents are always going to die it is only the timing that is in question. The normal order of is parents die before their children. If you want to never have to face the death of a parent that means that you need to die before them. A parent never recovers from the death of a child. The line I usually use to shorten this idea is: Either you have to go to your parents funeral or they will have to go to yours, it is very selfish to wish that they will have to go to yours.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin