Random Thought of the Day

April 29th, 2015 at 4:58:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Home Depot is shingling my wife's shed. What
are you trying to say.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 29th, 2015 at 5:05:47 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Apologies for the unedited profanity, but I had to leave it XD

Had nothing to do with HD, they just happened to be the target. It caught me off guard and elicited actual laughter, so thought I'd share.

But since you mention it, I'm a Lowe's man. HD can go fly a kite. Of course, I did apply for four different positions there, so maybe my view will change =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 29th, 2015 at 5:24:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
Of course, I did apply for four different positions there, so maybe my view will change =p

I'd think you're more of a Bass Pro Shop
guy..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 29th, 2015 at 5:29:04 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
I'd think you're more of a Bass Pro Shop
guy..

/sigh. If only. The nearest one is three hours away. The nearest contemporary is Cabelas (70min commute into Buffalo), or Field and Stream (70 min commute into Erie, PA).
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 29th, 2015 at 6:08:31 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine

Did you all notice the collision at 1:37 on the tape?
April 29th, 2015 at 7:04:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I occasionally get sucked into a click-bait vortex. Seems to be mostly inspirational stuff that deals with kids and whatnot. Saw one yesterday that really got me, so now I present it to you, unedited...

"Here's a heartwarming story about the bond formed between a little girl and some construction workers. This will make you believe that we CAN make a difference when we give a child the gift of our time...

A young family moved into a house next door to a vacant lot. One day, a construction crew came in and began building a house on the empty lot. The family's 5-year-old daughter became interested in all the activity going on next door and spent much of each day observing the workers.

Eventually, the construction crew, all of them gems-in-the-rough, more or less adopted her as a project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they took coffee and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important. At the end of the first week, the men presented her with a pay envelope which contained $2.00. The little girl took this home to her mother, who said all the appropriate words of admiration, and suggested that they take the money she received to the bank to start a savings account.

When they talked to the bank teller, the teller was equally impressed and asked the little girl how she had earned her very own pay check at such a young age. The child proudly replied, "I worked last week with the crew building the house next door to us."

"My goodness gracious," said the teller, "and will you be working on the house again this week, too?"

The little girl replied, "I will if those assholes at Home Depot ever deliver the fuckin' sheet rock..."

Kind of brings a tear to the eye......

That is funny. I might change it. Such as, making it a clergyman suggesting to the mom that she find some work the child can do to gain a sense of self respect and responsibility, Then at the end she brings the child back to the clergyman and he gets the punch line. Because, you know, working with construction workers all week.

Unless it was a real story. Hah.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 29th, 2015 at 11:17:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff

I can't make out specific collisions, but no doubt there are some going on.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 30th, 2015 at 2:26:51 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Fleastiff

I can't make out specific collisions, but no doubt there are some going on.
Twas a joke, Rx. Twas a joke.
April 30th, 2015 at 3:25:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
"Here's a heartwarming story about the bond formed between a little girl and some construction workers... "

Actually I had to conclude, with the very small amount of time I put in as a baby-sitter when I tried to help a family, that I made a lousy babysitter due to my language. In this particular case, the kids knew me well, were older, and all that, but also liked to push the envelope. I was in my 20s. I knew I could handle them OK, but when I had to put my foot down about something the choice of words made me wince later.

Probably true of men as baby-sitters generally LOL.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 30th, 2015 at 2:16:23 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Three men go fishing. As always, they toss all their catches into the well to be split up at the end of the day. The end of the day comes and they all go to bed.

The first man wakes up in the night with stomach cramps and needs to go home. He counts the fish to split the pile into 3rds and realizes there is one too many to do so. He tosses one away and takes his third.

The second man gets up early and remembers he has an early appt. Not knowing a man has already left, he counts the fish to split them into 3rds and realizes there is one too many to do so. He tosses one away and takes his third.

The last man gets up and doesn't realize the other two are gone. He counts the fish to split them into 3rds and realizes there is one too many to do so. He tosses one away and takes his third.

What is the least amount of fish caught to enable this to happen?

What is this kind of math called?

Rate the difficulty 1-5.

Without reading further (since this is old), I got 25 fish caught originally. Haven't decided if that's the least possible, but worked it backwards in about 3 minutes, figuring I had to start with the square of 3 as the last solution, otherwise the first 2 guys would not be able to leave whole fish behind.

25-1=24 24/3=8 24-8=16. First guy gets 8 fish.
16-1 =15 15/3=5 15-5=10. Second guy gets 5 fish.
10-1=9 9/3=3 9-3=6. Third guy gets 3 fish.

Seems derivative of the Fibonacci sequence. So the next number would be 13 fish, and 40 total. Don't know what type of math this is.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has