Random Thought of the Day

April 2nd, 2015 at 7:47:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm thinking about setting up a church: The Universal Church of Bring Your Own God. You bring us your god, whatever or whoever it is, and we'll worship it for you.

We don't do animal sacrifices, but we can, and do, accept vegetables, spices and cuts of meat to be made into offerings(*) for all your pagan worship needs. We also keep and maintain Ka statues in perpetuity, given advance payment, We offer reasonable prices for all our services. We can do this because were' exempt from taxes. We are a non-profit organization, but we pay ourselves lavish stipends for necessities like 5-star hotel rooms and first-class air travel. We deal with all that luxury so you won't have to.

Satanists welcome.

No god is too small.

(*) All offerings become property of the Universal Church of Bring Your Own God once they've been used up to kiss-up to your god. Offerings are not included in the list price.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 2nd, 2015 at 8:14:56 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
I'm thinking about setting up a church: The Universal Church of Bring Your Own God. You bring us your god, whatever or whoever it is, and we'll worship it for you.

We don't do animal sacrifices, but we can, and do, accept vegetables, spices and cuts of meat to be made into offerings(*) for all your pagan worship needs. We also keep and maintain Ka statues in perpetuity, given advance payment, We offer reasonable prices for all our services. We can do this because were' exempt from taxes. We are a non-profit organization, but we pay ourselves lavish stipends for necessities like 5-star hotel rooms and first-class air travel. We deal with all that luxury so you won't have to.

Satanists welcome.

No god is too small.

(*) All offerings become property of the Universal Church of Bring Your Own God once they've been used up to kiss-up to your god. Offerings are not included in the list price.

Straight out of the L Ron Hubbard playbook.
Want to get rich, start a religion and sell a peice of the blue sky :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 2nd, 2015 at 8:27:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined

Actually the wording is straight out of Heinlein's penchant for quoting advertisements in some of his latter fiction. Also ripped from his story "...We Also Walk Dogs."

I wonder if I should offer upkeep and prayer at mortuary temples in perpetuity(*), in exchange for a hefty tax-free donation?

(*) "Perpetuity" is a commercial term. In actual fact the period may not last 10 years. But you'll be dead and unable to notice.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 3rd, 2015 at 6:35:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Want to get rich, start a religion and sell a peice of the blue sky :-)

You want to work into this a requirement to pass a rigorous test, with the subject's improvement dependent on things he has no control over. Controlled elements of sheer terror should be included. Then, after years of attempt, the subject finally passes. He will then be totally invested in all the nonsense you will throw at him, lest he have to admit he went through a rite of passage that was meaningless.

Really works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditing_%28Scientology%29
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 3rd, 2015 at 9:02:53 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
You want to work into this a requirement to pass a rigorous test, with the subject's improvement dependent on things he has no control over. Controlled elements of sheer terror should be included. Then, after years of attempt, the subject finally passes. He will then be totally invested in all the nonsense you will throw at him, lest he have to admit he went through a rite of passage that was meaningless.

Really works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditing_%28Scientology%29

Whats fascinating is scientology is so into this so called auditing and they charge a lot of money for it.
They love it and think its really helps them become better human beings.
yet
If you get audited outside of scientology by the so called free zoners (people that follow scientology but are not part of the orginazation)
They become furious , unhinged and will attack you.

Its not about helping people, its all about the money.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 3rd, 2015 at 11:19:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If you get audited outside of scientology

Ha! that would be without the proper equipment!

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 3rd, 2015 at 12:47:51 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: odiousgambit
Ha! that would be without the proper equipment!

Everything is for sale on ebay :-)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scientology-E-Meter-Mark-Super-VII-Charcoal-/161654537853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a35c7e7d
April 3rd, 2015 at 2:29:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I read these things cost $300 to make and S-tology
charges $3600 for them. And they don't really
do anything.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2015 at 2:45:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I was looking for the snl skit where Christopher Walken plays a creepy ladies man. Didn't really find what I was looking for, but found this.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 3rd, 2015 at 10:48:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
Three men go fishing. As always, they toss all their catches into the well to be split up at the end of the day. The end of the day comes and they all go to bed.

The first man wakes up in the night with stomach cramps and needs to go home. He counts the fish to split the pile into 3rds and realizes there is one too many to do so. He tosses one away and takes his third.

The second man gets up early and remembers he has an early appt. Not knowing a man has already left, he counts the fish to split them into 3rds and realizes there is one too many to do so. He tosses one away and takes his third.

The last man gets up and doesn't realize the other two are gone. He counts the fish to split them into 3rds and realizes there is one too many to do so. He tosses one away and takes his third.

What is the least amount of fish caught to enable this to happen?

What is this kind of math called?

Rate the difficulty 1-5.

I would call it logical since the easiest way is to do it backwards.
The third man must have had ___ fish in the well. It is the minimum number of fish so that he could take a third of the fish (i.e. one per man) and still throw one away. The second man must have had ____ fish, and the first man must have had ______ fish.

The third and last man must have had 4 fish so that he could take 1 and throw one away.
The second man must have had 7 fish so that he could take 2 and throw one away.
The first man must have had 10 fish so that he could take 3 and throw one away.