Random Thought of the Day

September 4th, 2022 at 5:21:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I can't remember if I have to reprogram the TV if I had disconnected every night, but I think so. Think I could turn off the cable dvr and internet router every night.

I suppose for lights, you could install the motion detectors that turn on the lights when someone walks in and if there is no movement in the room for a while it goes dark again.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 4th, 2022 at 5:24:38 AM permalink
rxwine
Personally, I think motion detector lights would be only worthwhile in rooms you don't use very much. Maybe extra bedrooms, walk-in closet or garage.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 6th, 2022 at 12:11:01 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I just heard somebody bring this up when discussing the inherent unfairness of the government paying off student loans for some, and not others, those who just paid off or nearly paid off their loans being notably amongst the 'others'. Perhaps you and I too should be complaining, even though we paid off ours some years ago [most of us here I have to think]

Anyway, he pointed out the unfairness to whoever it is unfair to, do notice it, fear not. He cited the Notch situation of Social Security, so I looked it up.

Quote: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10042.pdf which note opens as a pdf
when
Social Security benefits are calculated for
people born between 1917 and 1921, two
computations are used. One calculation
uses the new (and correct) 1977 formula,
and the other uses a special transition for-
mula. Benefits are based on whichever cal-
culation pays the higher benefit.
Benefits
for everyone born in 1922 and later are
calculated using only the new and correct
1977 formula which generally results in
lower benefits
Emphasis mine; this person said the people who felt discriminated against formed groups that complained forever. I take it you might have retired and been aware your neighbor/relative about the same age had much better benefits due to the misfortune of your being born on slightly the wrong date.

evidently if born between 1910 and 1916 you also got the 'windfall' no questions asked
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 6th, 2022 at 12:41:03 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
I just heard somebody bring this up when discussing the inherent unfairness of the government paying off student loans for some, and not others, those who just paid off or nearly paid off their loans being notably amongst the 'others'. Perhaps you and I too should be complaining, even though we paid off ours some years ago [most of us here I have to think]

Anyway, he pointed out the unfairness to whoever it is unfair to, do notice it, fear not. He cited the Notch situation of Social Security, so I looked it up.

Quote: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10042.pdf which note opens as a pdf
when
Social Security benefits are calculated for
people born between 1917 and 1921, two
computations are used. One calculation
uses the new (and correct) 1977 formula,
and the other uses a special transition for-
mula. Benefits are based on whichever cal-
culation pays the higher benefit.
Benefits
for everyone born in 1922 and later are
calculated using only the new and correct
1977 formula which generally results in
lower benefits
Emphasis mine; this person said the people who felt discriminated against formed groups that complained forever. I take it you might have retired and been aware your neighbor/relative about the same age had much better benefits due to the misfortune of your being born on slightly the wrong date.

evidently if born between 1910 and 1916 you also got the 'windfall' no questions asked

Anybody that lives over 100 years deserves a bonus.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 6th, 2022 at 12:46:05 PM permalink
odiousgambit
I also just found out that COLA need was not recognized at first... well, some people realized it I don't doubt and they just weren't doing it. The thinking may have been that this would be how the program would stay solvent instead of being in big trouble like it is now

Quote: wikipedia page
[in] 1950 Benefits increased and cost of living adjustments (COLAs) made at irregular intervals – 77% COLA in 1950
77%! Clearly that either needed to be done long before it was or it was an extremely wacky thing to do! I suspect the former.

If you retired in 1949 were you somebody else that got screwed?
September 6th, 2022 at 1:00:04 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: kenarman

Anybody that lives over 100 years deserves a bonus.
tongue in cheek? Of course these people are mostly dead now
September 8th, 2022 at 10:59:25 AM permalink
rxwine
Saw a Lincoln Mark LT today. Pickup truck. At first I thought it was a mod. But nope. Guess they made them like that.
September 12th, 2022 at 11:32:02 AM permalink
rxwine
The Brits sure do have a lot of ceremony and ritual before you actually get to rest in peace.
September 12th, 2022 at 4:24:19 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
Saw a Lincoln Mark LT today. Pickup truck. At first I thought it was a mod. But nope. Guess they made them like that.

My favorite odd pickup truck was the Dodge convertible.

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 16th, 2022 at 2:00:02 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Just saw it again, and see it over and over all the time: the younger generations are not taught, evidently, to 'walk on the left side facing traffic' when you have to walk in the street.

It occurs to me that even back in our day it wasn't mentioned why you need to do that. The fact is, you might have to leap off the road due to some dingbat not looking where he's going... you need to see that coming