Random Thought of the Day

May 6th, 2020 at 5:58:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
People speaking English as a second language in the US who I have the most trouble understanding seem to be from India. I assume these are people who are maintaining a heavy accent still. Most of the time I can pick out what words people are using with different accents, but India accents usually give me a problem.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 6th, 2020 at 6:09:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
People speaking English as a second language in the US who I have the most trouble understanding seem to be from India. I assume these are people who are maintaining a heavy accent still. Most of the time I can pick out what words people are using with different accents, but India accents usually give me a problem.
Extremely
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 6th, 2020 at 6:42:44 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I always wonder where it comes from when people from India use that singsong way of talking

I guess it's just how they talk at home in their own language, remarkable
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 6th, 2020 at 7:09:54 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I always wondered why Indian people often use the phrase “Please do the needful” and just thought it was bad English.

But apparently it’s an old English phrase than many Indians picked up during British occupation.
May 9th, 2020 at 10:25:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Elon Musk's son is named "X Æ A-12"
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 9th, 2020 at 12:22:27 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
Elon Musk's son is named "X Æ A-12"

I heard he put on a blindfold, and randomly hit a few keys on his computer keyboard, and, bam, his son has a name!

Anyone have the pronunciation?

By the way, there is a top female golfer whose last name is Lee6. There were so many Lee golfers that she wanted to stand out for endorsements.... It worked!
May 9th, 2020 at 12:31:12 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
I heard he put on a blindfold, and randomly hit a few keys on his computer keyboard, and, bam, his son has a name!

Anyone have the pronunciation?

By the way, there is a top female golfer whose last name is Lee6. There were so many Lee golfers that she wanted to stand out for endorsements.... It worked!

You may know this better as a State Doctor (I don't know if you were involved in birth certificates).

But, I thought it is prohibited to use numbers and symbols (except for hyphens) in names? Or does it vary by state?
Or are the laws and restrictions different when you legally change your name (versus assigned birth name)?

Genuinely curious.

I always assumed artists with numbers and $^!@*%$ type stuff in their name were just stage names (or golf names in your case)?
May 9th, 2020 at 12:34:33 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Gandler
You may know this better as a State Doctor (I don't know if you were involved in birth certificates).

But, I thought it is prohibited to use numbers and symbols (except for hyphens) in names? Or does it vary by state?
Or are the laws and restrictions different when you legally change your name (versus assigned birth name)?

Genuinely curious.

I always assumed artists with numbers and $^!@*%$ type stuff in their name were just stage names (or golf names in your case)?

Never was involved in birth certificates. But I bet WIZARD is an expert on this. PM him...
May 9th, 2020 at 2:33:45 PM permalink
SOOPOO
I was stunned to find out the mayor of Mexico city is a Jewish woman.
May 9th, 2020 at 2:50:00 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Maybe it is Nareed's mom?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin