The Biden Presidency 2024

Page 3 of 11<123456>Last »
February 6th, 2024 at 6:20:55 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
The GOP (NOT Biden) has killed the bipartisan border bill

The bill was written by a few Senators. Why don't we see what they come up with it in debate.

If they stand by it the way it is written, it is a potential failure for them either way. It does not do enough.

Democrats are much better at selling crap plans that Republicans are at selling the opposite, so I do think it could help the Democrats overall if it is killed.
February 6th, 2024 at 6:27:27 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: RonC
The bill was written by a few Senators. Why don't we see what they come up with it in debate.

If they stand by it the way it is written, it is a potential failure for them either way. It does not do enough.

Democrats are much better at selling crap plans that Republicans are at selling the opposite, so I do think it could help the Democrats overall if it is killed.

The Senate released the text of the bill on Sunday. Any person can read it.
February 6th, 2024 at 8:08:12 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: GenoDRPh
The Senate released the text of the bill on Sunday. Any person can read it.

I am reading it. There are issues that I believe should be debated and amended. Compromise does not mean one side gets everything their way. The bill, as written, seems to allow a whole lot more new illegal entrants than we can at any given time. We're not handling, or properly processing or vetting, the ones already here.

Everyone knows that it is fiction for Biden to say he can't stop it without more laws. He is not enforcing the laws we already have. What makes anyone think that he would follow this one if it passes?
February 6th, 2024 at 12:13:26 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

Which has been the plan all along of course. Them rascally Republicans won't let us close the border not our fault.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 7th, 2024 at 5:45:13 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I am reading it. There are issues that I believe should be debated and amended. Compromise does not mean one side gets everything their way. The bill, as written, seems to allow a whole lot more new illegal entrants than we can at any given time. We're not handling, or properly processing or vetting, the ones already here.

Everyone knows that it is fiction for Biden to say he can't stop it without more laws. He is not enforcing the laws we already have. What makes anyone think that he would follow this one if it passes?

Of course. This bill is like putting a band aid on a bazooka wound. I’m not making this up….. some ‘emergency’ powers don’t take effect until 35,000 immigrants cross in A WEEK! not a year. Not a month. A WEEK. so no biggie if 33,000 cross March 1-7. The numbers are STAGGERING.

The American people are pretty stupid as a whole, but NOT stupid enough to think the Democrats are better for securing the border than Republicans.

How would you like to be the minimum wage worker in NYC living in a dumpy apartment in an unsafe area of the South Bronx while your mayor is providing hotel accommodation and pre paid credit cards to any illegal who literally just shows up and asks? This is what you get if you vote Democrat.
February 7th, 2024 at 7:42:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Why would I stay in NYC as a minimum wage worker for any longer than necessary? That's my first question.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 7th, 2024 at 8:13:27 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
Why would I stay in NYC as a minimum wage worker for any longer than necessary? That's my first question.

Who was talking about a smart, educated guy like you? I’m talking about the 100,00+ that are there now. (Not all exactly minimum, but ballpark idea)

The people the Democrats theoretically represent against the big, bad, Republicans.
February 7th, 2024 at 9:00:45 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Of course. This bill is like putting a band aid on a bazooka wound. I’m not making this up….. some ‘emergency’ powers don’t take effect until 35,000 immigrants cross in A WEEK! not a year. Not a month. A WEEK. so no biggie if 33,000 cross March 1-7. The numbers are STAGGERING.

The American people are pretty stupid as a whole, but NOT stupid enough to think the Democrats are better for securing the border than Republicans.

How would you like to be the minimum wage worker in NYC living in a dumpy apartment in an unsafe area of the South Bronx while your mayor is providing hotel accommodation and pre paid credit cards to any illegal who literally just shows up and asks? This is what you get if you vote Democrat.

You claim to not watch Fox News, but you definitely do an amazing job at parroting their BS.

Quote:
Sen. Lankford (R) went on Fox's Special Report to debunk the false talking point that one of the border bill's provisions would allow for 5,000 migrants to cross the southern border each day. He got the Democrat treatment: The network kept pushing the lie.

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/border-deal-sponsors-went-fox-news-debunk-false-claim-about-bill-fox-kept-spreading-it
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 7th, 2024 at 9:51:50 AM permalink
RonC
Regarding the Senate proposal...

3,999 per day can come in without triggering anything. That is potentially nearly 1.5 million.

An "emergency" can be declared at an average of over 5,000 in seven days or 8,500 in one day.

There are limits on the "emergencies" and...the president would also have the power to immediately suspend the border emergency for no more than 45 days at any time.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senators-unveil-bipartisan-bill-overhaul-immigration-system-israel/story?id=106934667

Yes, I cherry-picked a bit but supporters of the bill won't put numbers with their assertion that everyone is lying about the bill. Why not? Show us your numbers.
February 7th, 2024 at 10:59:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Regarding the Senate proposal...

3,999 per day can come in without triggering anything. That is potentially nearly 1.5 million.

An "emergency" can be declared at an average of over 5,000 in seven days or 8,500 in one day.

There are limits on the "emergencies" and...the president would also have the power to immediately suspend the border emergency for no more than 45 days at any time.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senators-unveil-bipartisan-bill-overhaul-immigration-system-israel/story?id=106934667

Yes, I cherry-picked a bit but supporters of the bill won't put numbers with their assertion that everyone is lying about the bill. Why not? Show us your numbers.

Just quoting the Republican Senator who helped write it.

Quote:
Lankford has repeatedly emphasized that the emergency authority “is not designed to let 5,000 people in, it is designed to close the border and turn 5,000 people around.”

After meeting with Republicans in the Capitol Monday evening, Lankford told reporters that people understand it once he explains it, “but it’s been said wrong so many times that people immediately just go back to, ‘this lets 5,000 people in a day,’ which is just factually wrong, but if you say it enough, it just sounds true.”
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 3 of 11<123456>Last »