Natural burial

Page 1 of 212>
September 19th, 2023 at 9:55:40 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
There is increasing interest in Oregon today in the notion of natural burial, aka carbon neutral burial.

Hey, why not?

https://www.pdxmonthly.com/news-and-city-life/2022/01/natural-green-burial-oregon-trend
September 19th, 2023 at 1:42:40 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I have ideas about signing up, a local place here does the same thing

when we were kids we talked about this like it was what really happened. I can tell you, if you have not explicitly set it up to happen, it ain't happening
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 19th, 2023 at 3:01:57 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I am fine with whatever people around me want, it won't matter to me. Eco burial fine, donate body to science fine, scavenge for organ donations fine, cremation fine, traditional burial fine (I will never buy a burial plot -quite literally a money sink- so I would either have to be awarded one, given one as a benefit, or if somebody bought for me -even in these cases I would most likely immediately sell or give away so very unlikely.)

Now, I do not have kids yet, and maybe when I do, I will feel differently (and that would simply be for their sake, I still would not care on a personal level), but I literally do not care at all what happens to my body after death as it stands.

My general opinion is we will run out of land for traditional burials (relatively) soon, so more efficient options being developed are always a good thing. And more environmentally friendly options are always a plus.
September 19th, 2023 at 3:46:03 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
A science related podcast I listen to (Science vs.?) recently did an episode on human composting. It seemed intriguing but I’m not sure I want to go that route, but something to think about. It’s only legal in a couple of states, but apparently it’s gaining attention - which is why the podcast did an episode about it.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
September 19th, 2023 at 6:07:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DJTeddyBear
A science related podcast I listen to (Science vs.?) recently did an episode on human composting. It seemed intriguing but I’m not sure I want to go that route, but something to think about. It’s only legal in a couple of states, but apparently it’s gaining attention - which is why the podcast did an episode about it.

The funeral industry lobby is surprisingly strong, and I would guess they are opposing this every step of the way (have not actually looked into it, just personal speculation.)
September 19th, 2023 at 9:47:57 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
The funeral industry lobby is surprisingly strong, and I would guess they are opposing this every step of the way (have not actually looked into it, just personal speculation.)

People are just dying to become clients.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 20th, 2023 at 4:01:17 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I hope my funeral has the carbon footprint roughly the size of a 747 flight to Tokyo.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 20th, 2023 at 9:03:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
For diet purposes, I could conceive of eating a tomato grown off a grave of a recently dead relative. Because I would probably be on an actual diet and be too squeamish to eat so I would diet instead.

But factually, I know of no real problem with consuming plant food grown off human graves.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 20th, 2023 at 11:09:52 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: rxwine
I could conceive of eating a tomato grown off a grave of a recently dead relative...But factually, I know of no real problem with consuming plant food grown off human graves.

Indeed: been part of the play book for many years now in certain cultures.

Back in the day various Mesoamerican civilizations used human feces to fertilize their crops.

The Aztecs, in particular, are well known for their famous chinampas, artificial islands made of mud and human waste used to grow crops that could be harvested up to seven times a year.
September 20th, 2023 at 12:13:11 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I have asked my wife to just throw my body in the Walmart dumpster if I die at home.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 1 of 212>