In the News II

April 5th, 2024 at 9:07:25 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: GenoDRPh
Sounds like much ado about nothing, about the female governer's First Lady wife.

Yes and no; a similar issue led to the downfall of former gov. John Kitzhaber.

It's serious enough that several of her key staff resigned in disgust.
April 5th, 2024 at 9:56:25 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Earthquake in NYC.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 5th, 2024 at 4:26:24 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
It will be way long before that happens. Too many different challenges to overcome.

Why make a machine to lay cinder block when you can do a solid pour?

For a foundation you should. I mostly see such machines for more decorative (landscaping/hardscaping) and walls where they can be stacked in a straight line by a machine.
April 5th, 2024 at 4:30:59 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: kenarman
The robotic work is mostly being done off site. They are prefabbing more and sections off site and hauling them to install on site. My nephew works for a builder and has software that pulls off the material lists from the drawings (electronic of course). Manually adds any material that the software can's handle. Orders all the material and coordinates timely delivery to the factory for building wall, roof and floor sections which is done partly by humans and partly by robots.

He does this in the summer sitting in our remote cabin via a satellite internet connection 100's of miles from the factory site. The prefab sections are sometimes shipped from Canada down to a build in California or other States.

That is kind of my point, it is only a matter of time before the software can do more specific material selection, and then all of it. If your nephew can do it on a laptop while fishing, it can be done by AI.
April 6th, 2024 at 5:13:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
For a foundation you should. I mostly see such machines for more decorative (landscaping/hardscaping) and walls where they can be stacked in a straight line by a machine.

I do not see it so much as by the time you set it all up half the work is done. You are confusing AI with robots, btw. Robots are not AI.
The President is a fink.
April 6th, 2024 at 7:46:15 AM permalink
Gandler
I do not see it so much as by the time you set it all up half the work is done. You are confusing AI with robots, btw. Robots are not AI.

I agree, that is my point. The current brick robots take so much setup, it is really more of a gimmick/ concept testing.

And, I am not, my contention is robots are needed for AI to take the place of a human worker (who physically works) AI can run whatever on a computer or a phone, but until there is a robot that is humanized (probably not the right word, but you know what I am saying....) and can perform all of the body mechanics of a human seamlessly, AI will not have a "body" to replace humans for tasks that require any kind of human movement or dexterity. This is why blue color jobs will be longer to replace that fully digital jobs. AI will be improved, before there are robots that are as efficient as humans, and before AI can saftley operate such "bodies." This is why my contention is any job that be done 100% from home, will be replaced before even the most basic blue color job.

Customer service may be one of the first major impacts, sure many call centers are already outsourced to all kinds of places to save money, but why even pay for that when a customer can talk to a machine (without a crazy hold time,) who probably can solve the problem quicker. But, this is a job that often requires nothing more than a phone and a computer (and a large majority of the time simply reading pre written responses and pulling very basic data.) I am honestly surprised call centers are even still a thing in 2024. Sales centers are a bit different because that requires more human interaction and social adaption, but even that is probably a matter of time.
April 6th, 2024 at 9:18:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
There's a difference between what you can accomplish and what you want to risk with actual customers. For instance, there's a whole automated environment within sophisticated video games. That shows you what is possible, but there's no risk with real humans.

That's why I say, we're way ahead, at least in a virtual world of what can be done than people think. But that's different than people saying it will be safe enough for humans to interact.

So, it's not really the know-how that's holding us back as much as people think.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 6th, 2024 at 10:31:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I agree, that is my point. The current brick robots take so much setup, it is really more of a gimmick/ concept testing.

And, I am not, my contention is robots are needed for AI to take the place of a human worker (who physically works) AI can run whatever on a computer or a phone, but until there is a robot that is humanized (probably not the right word, but you know what I am saying....) and can perform all of the body mechanics of a human seamlessly, AI will not have a "body" to replace humans for tasks that require any kind of human movement or dexterity. This is why blue color jobs will be longer to replace that fully digital jobs. AI will be improved, before there are robots that are as efficient as humans, and before AI can saftley operate such "bodies." This is why my contention is any job that be done 100% from home, will be replaced before even the most basic blue color job.

Customer service may be one of the first major impacts, sure many call centers are already outsourced to all kinds of places to save money, but why even pay for that when a customer can talk to a machine (without a crazy hold time,) who probably can solve the problem quicker. But, this is a job that often requires nothing more than a phone and a computer (and a large majority of the time simply reading pre written responses and pulling very basic data.) I am honestly surprised call centers are even still a thing in 2024. Sales centers are a bit different because that requires more human interaction and social adaption, but even that is probably a matter of time.

Here is the problem. If you have dealt with an an Indian or other third world call center you have probably had to deal with the culture gap. This same gap affects everything from IT to pilots. These cultures have the issue they can follow the script but cannot do as well assessing an issue and creativity solving it.

No I am not saying drone level call center employees to a ton better. I am saying I do not see AI being able to creatively solve a problem of more than the basic level in our lifetimes.
The President is a fink.
April 6th, 2024 at 4:56:32 PM permalink
Gandler
Here is the problem. If you have dealt with an an Indian or other third world call center you have probably had to deal with the culture gap. This same gap affects everything from IT to pilots. These cultures have the issue they can follow the script but cannot do as well assessing an issue and creativity solving it.

No I am not saying drone level call center employees to a ton better. I am saying I do not see AI being able to creatively solve a problem of more than the basic level in our lifetimes.

I actually think it would be easier to AI to be trained to adapt to local culture and dialect than a human (especially for call centers that field calls from dozens of countries and have to switch mindsets quickly.) But, to be fair 90% of call center employees only solve "basic problems" (the kind of problems that if more people were computer literate they could simply login to their profile and probably fix themselves.) And, more advanced problems get automatically transferred to a specialty department or supervisor anyway. Stuff like sitting on hold to reset your account password with a rep because you can't be bothered to do it on the website is something AI could easily do.
April 7th, 2024 at 2:37:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I actually think it would be easier to AI to be trained to adapt to local culture and dialect than a human (especially for call centers that field calls from dozens of countries and have to switch mindsets quickly.) But, to be fair 90% of call center employees only solve "basic problems" (the kind of problems that if more people were computer literate they could simply login to their profile and probably fix themselves.) And, more advanced problems get automatically transferred to a specialty department or supervisor anyway. Stuff like sitting on hold to reset your account password with a rep because you can't be bothered to do it on the website is something AI could easily do.

We already have most of that in call centers. I have done time in a call center or two and needed to call many in my job. The thing is we are not in the late 90s or even aughts. If I call in I want to talk to a human being because the self-serve options are not working. Once I did not use my credit union because when I went in to ask about a HELOC they directed me to their website. If I am talking to you now I want an answer, not direction to a website.

When you do talk to a person you need specialized help. AI is not going to be able to do that.
The President is a fink.