In the News II

April 4th, 2024 at 11:20:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
AI is currently a very overused term. I’ve been hearing the robots will take over most of my life.

You’re going to hear it a lot more than you used to.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 4th, 2024 at 12:50:28 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
It may not be long relatively (all of human history,) but it will be longer than most data jobs. Automating anything that is fully on a computer is far easier than doing both that and designing a robot that can saftley perform all human functions in any condition.

Most current robots are in very select/controlled circumstances. Even the brick layers, really only work if it is a straight line and a flat surface, they can't think on their own and perform a bunch of designs (also the bricks have to basically be lined up for them.) Construction sites don't really have a ton of robots (and the ones that are like the brick layer are more of a supplement as people have to be with it and prep it.)

If you can work from home your job can probably be replaced with AI soon, is an easy way to look at it. If all you need is a computer and a phone, that is relatively easy to automate compared to having to hold a lot of specific tools and be able to have free movement.

The robotic work is mostly being done off site. They are prefabbing more and sections off site and hauling them to install on site. My nephew works for a builder and has software that pulls off the material lists from the drawings (electronic of course). Manually adds any material that the software can's handle. Orders all the material and coordinates timely delivery to the factory for building wall, roof and floor sections which is done partly by humans and partly by robots.

He does this in the summer sitting in our remote cabin via a satellite internet connection 100's of miles from the factory site. The prefab sections are sometimes shipped from Canada down to a build in California or other States.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 4th, 2024 at 2:51:18 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
AI is currently a very overused term. I’ve been hearing the robots will take over most of my life.

It really bothers me hearing people talk about A.I. when they have no idea what it is. Everybody thinks they know what it is but probably only 1% really know.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 4th, 2024 at 3:18:15 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
It really bothers me hearing people talk about A.I. when they have no idea what it is. Everybody thinks they know what it is but probably only 1% really know.

The term has been quite dumbed down to mean anything robotic.
The President is a fink.
April 4th, 2024 at 4:29:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich

Well, if you walk into room previously occupied by a robot capable of acting like a human toddler, and can’t decide if the room had a robot or toddler in it for the last half hour, does it matter that much? You could supply a robot with all the supplies and abilities of a toddler, including delivering poop on the floor, playing with toys, spilling cups of water etc.,

If you want to refer to everything is just a more capable smart phone I’m fine with that.

To me, the toddler is already capable of showing more and more abilities of the later stages of human development. Limited intelligence of yesteryear is showing less and less limited intelligence.

I’d argue all day, that if you could indeed produce the Mona Lisa painting by artificial means that no one looking at it without advanced tools could know the difference — well, the end result is fine with me once it’s convincing enough. How it gets there doesn’t mean a thing. My opinion though. Maybe not everyone’s.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 4th, 2024 at 4:39:32 PM permalink
rxwine
In my opinion, the Turing test has been defeated. Now it’s just a contest to see how long a tool can fool people into thinking it may be a person, not if it can. That’s the measurement of advancement.
April 4th, 2024 at 6:55:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
According to data sourced from the career-services platform Levels.fyi and reported by the Wall Street Journal, the median OpenAI salary came to $925,000, including bonuses and company equity. Meta AI engineers are making around $400,000, according to the platform’s database

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technology/craziest-talent-war-i-ve-ever-seen-elon-musk-says-ai-is-hitting-a-new-frenzy-and-he-helped-set-it-off-9-years-ago-with-larry-page-and-sam-altman/ar-BB1l5TiQ?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=8f29995218b14001aae8058690516ede&ei=43
April 4th, 2024 at 11:14:38 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Lesbian governor Kotek of Oregon in the news...big flap over her interjecting her unelected "wife" into the political arena.

https://www.wweek.com/news/state/2024/04/03/kotek-digs-in-no-changes-in-first-ladys-role-but-will-seek-ethics-commission-guidance/
April 5th, 2024 at 5:25:11 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I'd buy one for a dollar as a collector's piece.

I might go up to $10 as a ceiling.

This'll be one of the largest scams in our history on Earth.

--------------

Poor resale values of EVs threaten adoption, warn some experts

APR 4 2024
A recent study showed that the average price of an EV fell 31.8% in the past year compared to just 3.6% for internal combustion engine vehicles.

The fast depreciation rate could dissuade car buyers from choosing EVs over combustion engine vehicles.

The price war in the new EV market could continue to suppress prices for their used counterparts.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/05/poor-resale-values-of-evs-are-a-problem-for-the-industry-warn-experts.html

---------------
April 5th, 2024 at 6:53:55 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: missedhervee
Lesbian governor Kotek of Oregon in the news...big flap over here interjecting her unelected "wife" into the political arena.

https://www.wweek.com/news/state/2024/04/03/kotek-digs-in-no-changes-in-first-ladys-role-but-will-seek-ethics-commission-guidance/

Sounds like much ado about nothing, about the female governer's First Lady wife.