In the News II

March 25th, 2024 at 10:47:13 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: DoubleGold
So you believe tobacco causes harm.

I believe tobacco could increase longevity, because many of the oldest living folks in history smoked daily.

It's OK to disagree.

Provide scientific proof, not just a few anecdotal cases.

Better yet...don't bother.
March 25th, 2024 at 11:54:24 AM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
Actually, the first word I think of when I think about cigarettes is Nicotine. 💡
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
March 25th, 2024 at 1:49:45 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: RonC
Provide scientific proof, not just a few anecdotal cases.

Better yet...don't bother.

This is about why I used the word tobacco as opposed to the word smoking.

That's why I was called out.

Not because of scientific proof.

We haven't got to that stage yet.

From my last reference:

-----------------

Yet, Narby explains that the view of nicotine as an addictive and destructive compound isn’t the whole story. Nicotine has a similar structure to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, meaning it can bind to receptors in our bodies, potentially influencing processes like learning and memory to muscle control. Inside the body, nicotine can trigger the release of acetylcholine along with a cascade of dopamine, glutamate, adrenaline, and endorphins. The ensuing interactions trigger pleasure, euphoria, and wakefulness, which might come with cognitive effects like improved attention and memory—along with potential for dependence.

There is research suggesting the antimicrobial properties of nicotine, and Wired covered how nicotine and related drugs promote the growth of new blood vessels and its immunosuppressant effects may balance the immune system in some conditions. Yet, in others, such as cancer, new blood vessels can contribute to tumor growth. Other studies are investigating nicotine for the treatment of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.

Additionally, B-carbolines and harmala alkaloids have been detected in tobacco smoke, which some researchers even suggest could cause hallucinations, giving hints as to how tobacco can be consumed to bring on visions and dream states.

-----------------
March 25th, 2024 at 1:53:42 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: Riverjordan
Actually, the first word I think of when I think about cigarettes is Nicotine. 💡

Big pharma doesn't want us to know the good stuff about one of nature's plants.

Ring a bell?
March 25th, 2024 at 4:12:25 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
For the first time in its history, The Babylon Bee actually posted something funny.

How do you think the racist imbeciles who typically laugh at the Babylon Bee reacted?

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 25th, 2024 at 5:31:27 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Trump netted about $1 billion on paper today as DWAC increased 35%.

The stock was on fire today.

The word on the street is the ticker will be changed to DJT.

Go Trump. :)
March 26th, 2024 at 4:56:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks like Musk wasn't interested in free speech about X itself.

Quote:
On Monday, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer dismissed X's lawsuit against the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH), a nonprofit group that tracks hate speech on social media.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/elon-musk-and-x-lose-lawsuit-against-anti-hate-nonprofit/ar-BB1kvDqF?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=14701523671b4b7ba2b41c52d70468ac&ei=38
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 26th, 2024 at 6:42:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I was wondering if bridge barriers are used to prevent boats which veer out of the channel are effective. Looks, like they might not have had them. Not sure yet.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 26th, 2024 at 7:09:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
I was wondering if bridge barriers are used to prevent boats which veer out of the channel are effective. Looks, like they might not have had them. Not sure yet.

Apparently it’s a pretty important bridge for commerce. I expect it to be rebuilt post haste by the Army Corps of Engineers. Speaker Johnson will get the emergency funding bill passed. On page 286 there will be a codicil banning funding for transgender swimmers competing in their ‘non assigned’ gender.
March 26th, 2024 at 7:19:22 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Apparently it’s a pretty important bridge for commerce. I expect it to be rebuilt post haste by the Army Corps of Engineers. Speaker Johnson will get the emergency funding bill passed. On page 286 there will be a codicil banning funding for transgender swimmers competing in their ‘non assigned’ gender.

I’d like some of whatever you are smoking, please.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman