In the News II

December 6th, 2023 at 9:00:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Trump being the person of the year pretty much permanently devalued the title; I see Taylor as a huge upgrade, in comparison.

Trump being person of the year devalued it?

So, you think Hitler getting it was OK?
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2023 at 9:05:19 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Trump being person of the year devalued it?

So, you think Hitler getting it was OK?

Was that before or after World War II?

(I already know the answer.)

After Auschwitz and The Holocaust (began), but probably nobody stateside knew yet.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 6th, 2023 at 9:12:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Was that before or after World War II?

(I already know the answer.)

After Auschwitz and The Holocaust (began), but probably nobody stateside knew yet.

His racial positions were already well known. He was not a mystery.

In any case, I saw how biased they were with the picture of Gingrich they selected in 1994. If you doubted they were slanted before, that should erase any doubt.
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2023 at 9:12:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I'm not saying LITERALLY NOT A SINGLE PERSON KNEW about the Concentration Camps; I'm saying it's very unlikely that a writer for TIME, regardless of how influential he might be, would have known. Any known information, assuming there was any, would likely have been highly confidential.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 6th, 2023 at 9:17:26 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
His racial positions were already well known. He was not a mystery.

Nor is Trump, or the fact that Trump is an @$$hole who wants to boink his own daughter.

Besides, different time (and TIME), different publication. We have the Internet now, so it's not as if you need TIME to make someone PotY in order to read a lengthy piece about that person.

I mean, it wasn't even called, 'Person of the Year,' yet; it was, 'Man of the Year,' if that tells you anything. Besides, the TIME article on Hitler is extremely critical and points out those racial positions. I guess you've not ever read it, huh?
December 6th, 2023 at 9:18:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I'm not saying LITERALLY NOT A SINGLE PERSON KNEW about the Concentration Camps; I'm saying it's very unlikely that a writer for TIME, regardless of how influential he might be, would have known. Any known information, assuming there was any, would likely have been highly confidential.

First thing is you have to agree "concentration camp" <> "death camp." There were concentration camps in the early 30s. The death camps did not open until about 1942. The concentration camps were known. Austria had been annexed. The Sudetenland had been stolen by then. Nights of Long Knives and Broken Glass had happened. TIME knew about all of this.

Yet....Trump is the problem?
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2023 at 9:22:35 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
First thing is you have to agree "concentration camp" <> "death camp." There were concentration camps in the early 30s. The death camps did not open until about 1942. The concentration camps were known. Austria had been annexed. The Sudetenland had been stolen by then. Nights of Long Knives and Broken Glass had happened. TIME knew about all of this.

Yet....Trump is the problem?

I won't be baited further. You suggested that Taylor Swift being nominated for PotY is a sign that the U.S.A. is a society in collapse.

I have no use for a conversation with you and do not benefit from it. I do not typically learn anything when I converse with you. These conversations are a complete and total waste of my time and fail to even clear the low bar of being moderately entertaining.

Consequently, I reiterate my polite request that you please attempt to refrain from responding to me directly. Thank you.
December 6th, 2023 at 9:42:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In China you already may have a billion fans. This person listed as most popular. I love that island. Is that Taiwan? (j/k You can't fool me; I know Hong Kong when I see it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AyNzV3yk8
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2023 at 9:46:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I won't be baited further. You suggested that Taylor Swift being nominated for PotY is a sign that the U.S.A. is a society in collapse.

Absolutely I did. Same as in "The Big Short" when Mark Baum said people just cared about who won the ball game or what actress just went into rehab as opposed to the important stuff happening around them.
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2023 at 9:51:36 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Time POTY (Previously MOTY) is widely misunderstood. It’s meant to identify an impactful person, sort of a newsmaker of the year, not a person of high character. In 1980 during the Iran hostage crises Time named Ayatollah Khomeini MOTY. For those too young to remember, there was NO ONE who Americans hated more than Khomeini at that time.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.