In the News II

December 1st, 2023 at 8:02:03 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: DoubleGold
Are any of the Tesla Cyber Trucks gasoline powered or are they going to make all of them clean coal and natural gas powered?

Does gasoline consumption create more pollution than clean coal?

-------------------

More than 60% of energy used for electricity generation is lost in conversion

JULY 21, 2020
The difference in conversion rates is because coal-fired generation plants in the United States are often older and less efficient than many natural gas-fired plants. In U.S. power plants, generating a kilowatthour of electricity from coal requires on average about one-third more energy than producing a kilowatthour from natural gas. Although more electricity was generated by natural gas than by coal in 2016, it was not until 2019 that more natural gas was used to generate electricity than coal.
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=44436

-------------------

Still more effecient than the most effecient IC engine an a motor vehicle.
December 1st, 2023 at 8:03:01 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: odiousgambit
which makes it impossible to: 1] save money for the consumer, 2] save energy as claimed by "energy efficiency" due to the enormous amount used in manufactering

Such a lame remark makes me think this scenario is involved:

GenoD reports back to his Commissar what he said in defense of the Narrative
Commissar: "oh my god, why did you say something so lame?"
GenoDL : I couldn't say anything else, you can't defend these modern appliances, Sir. Yet the Narrative must be defended: 'Biden and his Admistration can do no wrong' "
Commissar: "Well, OK, but work on that"

Makes me wonder what you and your MAGA types say to your Orange Jesus...
December 1st, 2023 at 8:07:54 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: Mission146
The biggest problem with modern appliances, in my opinion, is all of the dang tech in them. That's not to say that they don't have cool function; they do, but it's not worth it if you have to worry about microchips breaking, internal computer needing reprogrammed, etc...

A reliable machine, in my opinion, lasts as long as possible at the cheapest price to the consumer and has as few breakable components as feasible.

The original heat pumps installed in Europe to heat municipal buildings in the 1920s still work well to this day.

Can you add some definition to "cheapest price tot he consumer"? Low up front purchase and installation but higher run costs, or higher up front purchase and installation costs, but lower run costs over time?
December 1st, 2023 at 8:17:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
As far as reliability, check for the "Good housekeeping" seal. You know they have a lab where they test longevity. Like a shoe machine that keeps stepping until the shoe falls apart.

(I don't know if they have a shoe machine, but that's the kind of stuff they do there)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 1st, 2023 at 8:19:32 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
My fridge, range, washer and dryer are all 35 years old. Try getting that life out of modern appliances.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 1st, 2023 at 8:22:19 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
My fridge, range, washer and dryer are all 35 years old. Try getting that life out of modern appliances.

Yeah, but most people wash clothes and don't eat bagged food delivered by senior citizen aides.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 1st, 2023 at 8:26:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Gas might have been used for 100 years but prior to air conditioning and central heating a lot more people had windows open. Not so much today with lots of near sealed houses.
December 1st, 2023 at 10:14:49 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: GenoDRPh
The original heat pumps installed in Europe to heat municipal buildings in the 1920s still work well to this day.

Can you add some definition to "cheapest price tot he consumer"? Low up front purchase and installation but higher run costs, or higher up front purchase and installation costs, but lower run costs over time?

I would say that those in the lower echelons of annual income would be primarily concerned with upfront cost of the appliance.

Even if you wanted to argue that they'd save money, in the long run, due to lower running costs---even if you could PROVE that to be true (say, over thirty years) in and of itself, it still wouldn't always matter.

If the appliance has a high upfront cost such that these people can't afford it with cash, then they will have to purchase it on some sort of credit. At that point, the amount of interest that they end up paying on that purchase becomes a consideration. With that, for an individual consumer, you are now looking at the initial purchase price + additional interest paid before you can start factoring in the lower running costs over the life of the appliance...which I'm not convinced would even make the appliance net cheaper to begin with.

Actually, if we look at net lifetime cost of the appliance, then there's no way you can state it has a cheaper lifespan as an absolute. The reason why you can't is because the running costs will always be variable as they are dependent on what electricity costs at any given time.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 1st, 2023 at 10:41:05 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Mission146
The biggest problem with modern appliances, in my opinion, is all of the dang tech in them. That's not to say that they don't have cool function; they do, but it's not worth it if you have to worry about microchips breaking, internal computer needing reprogrammed, etc...

A reliable machine, in my opinion, lasts as long as possible at the cheapest price to the consumer and has as few breakable components as feasible.

Yes.

I have no need for a refrigerator that has a WiFi connection.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 1st, 2023 at 10:46:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
As far as reliability, check for the "Good housekeeping" seal.
oh my god, a contest is going on for lame comments

Quote: rxwine
Yeah, but most people wash clothes and don't eat bagged food delivered by senior citizen aides.
Now that's more like it! Quite unfair to Kenarman, but pretty funny
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]