Ukraine conflict

December 18th, 2022 at 12:09:46 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: OnceDear
I'd say the one that works properly.... But that doesn't exist.

Here's a thought for the team in control of a Patriot Battery....
You have a launcher with 4x missiles costing >$3,000,000 each. Your radar spots and locks onto 5 Iranian made, propellor driven drones. ($20,000 each)

Do you A) do nothing and wait for the drones to take your patriots out?
or B) Launch your 4 patriots, take out 4 drones and pray that the fifth drone does not take out your empty launcher vehicle or Radar control truck?

Whatever Patriots get sent must only be used on valuable or extremely dangerous incoming targets. What defends the Patriots?

For the Ruskies, It's a no brainer. Target the $15m or so of loaded Patriot launcher with your flying bomb., or target the $1m substation.

We already had an example where a Patriot took out an incoming $300 drone.

Wrong tool for the job

The Patriot systems are mobile and I don't think the Russians have the intelligence information to know where they are in real time. I would be shocked if they could take out more than one. Apparently they have not been able to take out a single HIMARS system in the 5 months they have been in use. They did take out some of the dummy static ones that were placed just for that reason.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 18th, 2022 at 12:58:15 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
The Ukraine conflict is a great opportunity for us to discover the strengths and weaknesses of our current weapons systems.

Proxy wars....accept no substitute.
December 18th, 2022 at 2:53:29 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: missedhervee
The Ukraine conflict is a great opportunity for us to discover the strengths and weaknesses of our current weapons systems.

Proxy wars....accept no substitute.

I am enjoying seeing what our 20 year old weapons can do. Imagine what todays weapons will do.
December 18th, 2022 at 4:42:11 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I hope they can do more.

Fact is, I've no idea at what we REALLY can bring to bear if it hits the fan.

What is our actual defense against missiles, is it space based?

Beam weapons?
December 18th, 2022 at 5:04:45 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: missedhervee
I hope they can do more.

Fact is, I've no idea at what we REALLY can bring to bear if it hits the fan.

What is our actual defense against missiles, is it space based?

Beam weapons?

I know we have some anti-satellite weapons but I am not aware of any space based interceptors. Our major advantage in space is early warning systems. I have heard through various documentaries that our missile command will know within 30 seconds of any launches and at 60 seconds all appropriate commands will be aware of the situation.

I have no doubt we will have the best missile interceptors but we don't know how reliable or what percentage they will intercept. As bad as the Russian military has executed in this war I don't have much confidence in the accuracy of their missiles. Of course, if they launch all 3000 or so ICBM's some will definitely find a target. In my mind I am just counting on their lack of maintenance and would be shocked if even half of them actually posed a threat.
December 19th, 2022 at 11:47:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The war has made several important Russian people clumsy.

Quote:
Dmitry Zelenov was visiting friends in Antibes, a prominent southern city on the French riviera. While dining out, Zelenov was not feeling well. Thereafter, he fell from a flight of stairs and suffered a serious head injury, Daily Mail reports.

According to The Daily Beast, Zelenov was taken to Hospital Pasteur in the neighbouring city of Nice, but doctors were unable to do anything as he succumbed while receiving treatment.

Zelenov’s death is the latest in a string of baffling deaths among Russian elites which coincide with the Ukraine war.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 19th, 2022 at 1:25:00 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: rxwine
The war has made several important Russian people clumsy.

I suspect poisoned underwear.
December 21st, 2022 at 5:26:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
I suspect poisoned underwear.

You know you got problems when even your underwear could be dangerous to wear.

In other news, it's said that troops need 20 weeks of training for a team to operate the patriot missiles. One wonders about the probability of unofficial US "advisors" working in Ukraine. I think it's probably pretty high if not a certainty. But I hope they are using VR remotely to train and advise Ukrainian military.

Almost like being in the room for training purposes. And no Americans risk getting captured.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 22nd, 2022 at 5:13:25 PM permalink
DRich
I was surprised to read that we are only sending one Patriot Missile battery.
December 23rd, 2022 at 4:02:35 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: DRich
I was surprised to read that we are only sending one Patriot Missile battery.
At >£3m a shot, not so surprising. This is just a gesture.
They'll also be sending a few peashooters with which to defend the Patriots.