Ukraine conflict

February 17th, 2022 at 3:31:59 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: rxwine
The development of more and more dangerous weapons is highly unlikely to ever stop. Who knows what everyone will eventually face.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10355211/China-working-brain-control-weaponry-paralyze-control-opponents.html
What a jumbled hodge-podge of an article. Typical Daily Mail.

China is researching some stuff to maybe get the capability of doing some bad stuff. Look. Here's some bad stuff they did earlier.

A nation can paralyse a whole nation or group of nations quite easily. Just supply one with a Gas pipeline, or maybe put some propaganda on t'interweb. Get half of the US disagreeing with the other half and completely take The US, and effectively NATO off the list of things to worry about, while you invade or ethnic cleanse who the hell you like.

All done in plain sight.

Do you think they need gene editing or telepathic mind control weaponry to do it, when Facebook and Twitter an Fox/CNN are available for free, or hire a marketing consultant to spend a million on a well targeted google adwords campaign?.
February 17th, 2022 at 4:48:50 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
A pontoon bridge built by Russians from Crimea to Ukraine…nearly 30 cease fire violations.

Sounds like Putin is trying to get Ukraine to violate the cease fire as a reason to attack and/or also making deceptive moves to cover the real plan.

It sucks when one side has to obey a cease fire and the the other can get away with breaking it.

We will see where it goes from here.
February 17th, 2022 at 6:40:16 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Probably the work of the Russian-backed rebels at Moscow's request.

Lots of damage.

Seems inevitable now.

Russians lost 15,000 soldiers and went broke fighting a losing war in Afghanistan.

Wars are expensive. In 1998, Russia devalued the ruble and defaulted on their sovereign debt.
February 17th, 2022 at 7:21:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC

Sounds like Putin is trying to get Ukraine to violate the cease fire as a reason to attack and/or also making deceptive moves to cover the real plan.

I didn't really understand Zelenskyy's downplaying so many Russian forces gathering on his border a couple weeks back. But now I think it reflects Ukraine reflecting the meme, "it's not us, it's them" provoking this conflict and letting the US and allies play the bad guys. Whatever happens he wants it clear Putin is making all the aggressive moves.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 20th, 2022 at 1:23:53 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Seems clear to me that Russia would not invade while the Olympics were going on, as that would detract from whatever positive attention the Olympics give China, and at the moment Russia and China are buddies, sort of.

Once the final ceremonies are over the battle may begin: I hope not, but I suspect Putin will attack unless he gets favorable concessions, which appears unlikely.
February 20th, 2022 at 1:46:15 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: missedhervee
Seems clear to me that Russia would not invade while the Olympics were going on, as that would detract from whatever positive attention the Olympics give China, and at the moment Russia and China are buddies, sort of.

Once the final ceremonies are over the battle may begin: I hope not, but I suspect Putin will attack unless he gets favorable concessions, which appears unlikely.

I’m no expert on war, but apparently Russia is already bombing the Ukraine, just not a lot. I’m trying to guess how we would respond to Canada or Mexico launching a few missiles into US territory. Isn’t that what ‘war’ is? Invasion starts tomorrow now that Olympics are over, right?
February 20th, 2022 at 1:52:48 PM permalink
missedhervee
They've been escalating the fighting in the east, no question.

Kyiv (Kiev) is close to the border: I suspect a lightning strike to Kyiv, then game over.

It will be interesting to see what specific consequences the west imposes: lots of Putin's cronies are billionaires because of him and have assets all over the west, e.g. real estate in swank sections of London and NYC: I suspect they'll get seized as well as their exotic cars and yachts.

I suspect Putin is "the richest man in the world" and if so I hope we can identify and seize his stuff: that will hurt the SOB more than a diplomatic scolding.
February 20th, 2022 at 2:22:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
I’m no expert on war, but apparently Russia is already bombing the Ukraine, just not a lot. I’m trying to guess how we would respond to Canada or Mexico launching a few missiles into US territory. Isn’t that what ‘war’ is? Invasion starts tomorrow now that Olympics are over, right?

Firing into Ukraine can get them some return fire. With that information the Russians can determine possible dug-in positions which they will target if they start moving in.

i think most of Ukraine's fixed positions will be taken out early. Hopefully, they've got a lot of anti-tank weapons and lots of positions to scatter to and fight from with smaller weapons.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 20th, 2022 at 2:36:49 PM permalink
missedhervee
Without US / NATO soldiers backing them up on the ground, and without coordinated US/NATO air defense / air attack the Ukrainians will almost certainly lose to the much larger invading force.

Hopefully it will all be over quickly without much loss of life or property.

Russia will once again control Ukraine, as it did pre break-up.

The fear is that emboldened by conquest Putin may try to seize other countries which were once part of the USSR.

If so: then what?

I wonder whether Putin and his cronies shorted their market positions in advance of the recent hostilities, knowing full well that the skittish west would fret and that the market would go down?

I know I would if I were him / them.

Ah, dirty tricks played out at the international level ...
February 20th, 2022 at 3:58:41 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Intelligence sources say Russia will be going in tonight. I would say it is 50/50 that it will be tonight.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.