The Biden Presidency 2022

October 7th, 2022 at 3:25:27 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: odiousgambit
I have no criticism for him on this

I have mixed feelings about marijuana, still. I just don't like the culture it generates. Decriminalization, though, just needs to be done, and the feds shouldn't be on one side and the states the other.

I have mixed feelings on a lot of things regarding substances. I think the world would be better if nobody drank or did any drugs. But, marijuana is a pretty harmless drug (especially compared to alcohol), so as long as alcohol is legal (and heavily pushed onto society to the point where people mock you if you don't drink), having marijuana be criminalized is absurd.

At the end of the day ruining somebody's life for just possession is absurd. Heck even in the conservative area I live in the DA ordered (for some time now) the police to just not arrest people for pot because they don't want to bother with misdemeanor charges (I think its mostly due to the COVID court backlog and short staffing in the DA office to be honest, more than caring about drug reform, but still a good policy), they will literally just pull it from your hand and stamp it in the ground if you are smoking in public (or in some cases just let you keep it).
October 7th, 2022 at 5:45:29 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
I have mixed feelings on a lot of things regarding substances. I think the world would be better if nobody drank or did any drugs. But, marijuana is a pretty harmless drug (especially compared to alcohol), so as long as alcohol is legal (and heavily pushed onto society to the point where people mock you if you don't drink), having marijuana be criminalized is absurd.

"This suggests that there are hundreds of thousands young frequent users who are dependent on cannabis in Europe alone, who are exposed to a range of adverse outcomes associated with cannabis dependence. These include higher prevalence of psychiatric disorders, adverse effects on the respiratory system, lower educational achievements, and lower levels of motivation, happiness, and satisfaction with life (Agosti et al., 2002; Hall, 2006; Looby and Earleywine, 2007; Taylor et al., 2000)." This quote is from the following Dutch study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3467998/

If you abuse a drug you have problems no matter what the drug is. I wouldn't label cannabis as 'pretty harmless compared to alcohol'. I have alcoholics, hard drug homeless and grandchildren who are unemployable because because of mental issues with cannabis addiction in my family. I feel this gives me some insight into drugs and their dangers. This does not mean that I am against the legalization of cannabis but it is not a harmless drug.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 7th, 2022 at 6:50:40 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: kenarman
"This suggests that there are hundreds of thousands young frequent users who are dependent on cannabis in Europe alone, who are exposed to a range of adverse outcomes associated with cannabis dependence. These include higher prevalence of psychiatric disorders, adverse effects on the respiratory system, lower educational achievements, and lower levels of motivation, happiness, and satisfaction with life (Agosti et al., 2002; Hall, 2006; Looby and Earleywine, 2007; Taylor et al., 2000)." This quote is from the following Dutch study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3467998/

If you abuse a drug you have problems no matter what the drug is. I wouldn't label cannabis as 'pretty harmless compared to alcohol'. I have alcoholics, hard drug homeless and grandchildren who are unemployable because because of mental issues with cannabis addiction in my family. I feel this gives me some insight into drugs and their dangers. This does not mean that I am against the legalization of cannabis but it is not a harmless drug.

I think compared to alcohol its pretty harmless. I know many people who have had their life ruined by prescription drugs, some people by hard drugs, many more by alcohol. I don't know a single person who has had their life ruined by marijuana unless you count getting fired from popping hot on a drug test.

I have zero interest personally in marijuana, if it was legal I doubt I would even consume it. But, I think compared to drugs that are accepted by society, especially alcohol and prescriptions, it is pretty harmless. The article you cite focuses on heavy use (three or more times per week), I would guess any drug used regularly would have issues, I mean of course drugs alter your brain, and the more they are used the more your brain is in an altered state.

Occasional pot use is certainly safer than occasional drinking. The only reason I would advise against it is because you can fail a drug tests even weeks later, meaning the main danger is in social and legal consequences not in the drug use.

Its also worth noting its borderline impossible to OD on pot (the amount you would need is not physically possible to consume), and not a single OD death in human history, whereas alcohol, it's a daily occurrence. Heck caffeine has a higher OD risk than pot (and caffeine OD deaths are rare). Now, are there long-term issues that need to be considered other than the stats on OD deaths? Of course, but even the most severe studies pale in the comparison of alcohol use so its a moot point. If alcohol is legal, there is no reason for marijuana to be illegal.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/deaths/index.html

Now, of course if you smoke marijuana, the standard smoking risks apply. But, there are many ways to consume marijuana that do not involve inhaling smoke.
October 8th, 2022 at 9:18:09 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Two words.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 9th, 2022 at 9:00:37 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Two words.

Is that 3 or 4 words? Does ‘Let’s’ count as one word or two?
October 10th, 2022 at 4:03:54 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
guess who couldn't stand it unless he made the same gaff?

right in the beginning

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/10/07/remarks-by-president-biden-on-the-economy-and-the-september-jobs-report/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 10th, 2022 at 5:47:56 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
I know Americans are generally dumb but Biden must think we’re REALLY stupid. Dude’s been in government for 50 years while jobs being progressively sent overseas, expects us to believe he’s going to magically bring them back by snapping his fingers now. GTFOH.
October 10th, 2022 at 5:58:25 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rquiredusername
I know Americans are generally dumb but Biden must think we’re REALLY stupid. Dude’s been in government for 50 years while jobs being progressively sent overseas, expects us to believe he’s going to magically bring them back by snapping his fingers now. GTFOH.

The REALLY STUPID people do not understand supply and demand. We already have more jobs available than people to fill them. Then again, you are probably right. The president should allow more migrants in to fill the jobs you want created. BRILLIANT!!
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 10th, 2022 at 6:35:53 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: DRich
The REALLY STUPID people do not understand supply and demand. We already have more jobs available than people to fill them!!

Not ones that are worth working, suicide would be the preferred option to the majority of them that can’t be filled.
October 10th, 2022 at 6:48:52 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: rquiredusername
Not ones that are worth working, suicide would be the preferred option to the majority of them that can’t be filled.

Which is actually a very good position for a county. For the first time in many decades undesirable jobs are being forced to make themselves desirable by drastically raising pay, benefits, hours, and working conditions.

Its probably one of the best things to ever happen to worker rights in modern history. Does it slightly increase the cost of some goods and services? Maybe. But, its a net positive.